Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

noob's question on chickens

Options
  • 19-05-2014 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

i got 2 ex battery hens and when last week i picked them up to look for any insects that might be living on them. I found that in fact there seem to be loads of white small insects on both of them around their vents. I used Diatomaceous Earth as instructed but today - few days later - the insects are still there. should i re apply the powder?
    also, i was told I should give them worm treatment twice a year - is it onlky available from vet or can i buy it somewhere else?

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Who did you adopt them from, can they not advise you?

If not maby give these a ring:

http://www.adoptapet.ie/rescues/littlehillanimalrescue/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

tsuzmir wrote: »
    i got 2 ex battery hens and when last week i picked them up to look for any insects that might be living on them. I found that in fact there seem to be loads of white small insects on both of them around their vents. I used Diatomaceous Earth as instructed but today - few days later - the insects are still there. should i re apply the powder?
    also, i was told I should give them worm treatment twice a year - is it onlky available from vet or can i buy it somewhere else?

thanks!
    !

Sounds like regular poultry mites or possibly lice

DC earth is not particularly effective in the control of these in my opinion. Use something like pyrethrum dust which is derived from the Pyrethrum plant.

Check online - there are many good online poultry sites that will help you with advice

Useful site here

http://poultrykeeper.com/general-chickens/worming-chickens

Best of luck with the new arrivals..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Not sure how effective Diatom earth is for getting rid of lice (as opposed to a preventative). They obviously came to you infested - better to get rid of them fast if they are ex-battery (the hens wont be so robust the poor things) You could use the Diatom Earth in the crevices and cranny's of their coop, to keep the lice etc away after you have de-infested them. I havent used pyrethrum dust so cant comment.

On worming, yes they should be wormed at least twice/year. The most effective wormer is FLUBENVET - available from good poultry suppliers - I get it from Floods in Newbridge - with only 2 hens, a tub (around E20) will last you years! Or you can of course get it online - amazon does it, Old McDonald in Carlow has it too I believe

Advertisement