Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

QLTT?

• 18-05-2014 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Anyone out there taking the QLTT this June? Have only just begun the study and am questioning whether I shouldn't just take some portion of it in December. I'd be grateful for any comments or insight from anyone whose taken at least part of it, or is signed up to take it in June.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 CalbArred

I think it depends on your personal background.
    Some of the subjects seems easier than others. For example, solicitor's accounts seems to be similar to my old Accounting 101 and 102 course. Professional Responsibility seems straight forward, and it is oral so it might actually be easier to convey your point in front of the panel, as I ASSUME that they can ask you for clarification if they don't understand your point.

I wish I could see some passing sample answers, so I would know how much detail goes into it. The other subjects are very substantive and have a ton of case law, terms I can't even pronounce, etc. and knowing how much I actually need to know would make it easier to assess how much study is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 eoinmacd1979

Hi I am looking at taking this exams this year probably do 2-3 in June and the rest in the winter I have some questions :).

I will be preparing for the winter exams in Ireland where I will have access to NUIGs law library, so suggestions on which exams would the easiest to prepare for in the US would be great.

I want more info on what is expected of you to get a passing mark?

What should I do to prepare?

Also I would love any advice on what it is like moving to Ireland and getting a job after practicing somewhere else. I am born and raised in Galway but have been living and practicing in NY since 2009 after getting my LLB in Ireland.

any advice on either would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Mod:

eoinmacd1979

You have posted the same message on this forum in several places. Please do not do that. Your other posts have been deleted.

I have asked Admins to reverse the warning that had been given to you, in view of the fact that you are new to the forum.

In any event, please do not spam this forum with messages that contain the same content.

I am surprised at your questions, since you say that have an LLB from Ireland.

"I want more info on what is expected of you to get a passing mark?"
    Based on my experience, it seems case law (names and summaries) seem to be required to get a passing grade.

Obviously there wasn't much of that in Solicitor's Accounts, which I passed without focusing on the regulations. Getting full marks to the first question is actually enough to get 50. I completed 2 additional questions, and skipped the last altogether and received about 80/100.

"What should I do to prepare?"
    I got the OUP book for EU law, which is pretty comprehensive, and enough to pass. I am assuming the other subjects that have UOP books should work as well. I also got some sample questions and looked at FE1 answers to get a feel for how Irish law is treated.

I just received the schedule for Summer of 2016. The dates are June 14-22.
    I'll be in Dublin studying a couple of days prior to the exams. Message me if anyone is intersted in studying for a few hours on Sunday/Monday. I am taking the exams on Con Law/Crim, Land Law and Probate (Tue, Th,Fr).

Here is the schedule:

Tuesday 14 June

9.30 a.m. to 1.30 p.m. Constitutional Law & Company Law or Criminal Law

Wednesday 15 June

9.30 a.m. to 1.30 p.m. Contract & Tort

Thursday 16 June

9.30 a.m. to 1.30 p.m. Land Law & Conveyancing

Friday 17 June

9.30 a.m. to 1.30 p.m. Probate & Taxation

Monday 20 June

From 10.00 a.m. Professional Conduct (Each oral examination is approx. 20 minutes. Times will be allocated

with your candidate number)

Tuesday 21 June

9.30 a.m. to 12.30 p.m. Solicitors’ Accounts

Wednesday 22 June

9.30 a.m. to 12.30 p.m. EU Law

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 eoinmc1979

CalbArred,

How did you do?

I passed the Land Law/Conveyancing, as well as Probate & Taxation. Ironically the subject I studied the most con law/crim I am having rescored.
    Looks like it might be another year before I propose to my firm to expand into Ireland.

I passed the Land Law/Conveyancing, as well as Probate & Taxation. Ironically the subject I studied the most con law/crim I am having rescored.
    Looks like it might be another year before I propose to my firm to expand into Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 eoinmc1979

you could resit them this November.

Don't suppose you have a copy of the exam paper that you sat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 imaliznachenie

Hi to all.

I'm planning to sit the QLTT in the next year. Has anyone an information about taking the QLTS in the UK and then move to the Republic of Ireland. Is a solicitor from the UK allowed to practice in the Republic of Ireland as an irish solicitor or you've to undertake the QLTT in Ireland again? And how many pages do you think it is normal to write as an answer to a question from the Irish QLTT exam?

Thanks and good luck to all: George

• Advertisement

I just received my final pass for the QLTT :) So now I am just waiting for the administrator to contact me. I looked at the website, but I do not see any additional forms to fill out/or fees regarding admission for people who actually took the QLTT. There is an admission form for everyone else, but it's pretty much just a duplicate of the application for the certificate of eligibility (all the same questions, etc.). If I have to submit that, it seems I am simply resubmitting almost the same paperwork again, as I had no changes and would be using all the same references from the first time around. Anyone know what the process is for QLTT passers? 
    Also, to answer your question - once you are a solicitor in Ireland you will have to take one more seminar and online test to become eligible to practice in England/Wales. There is no UK roll. The seminar is offered once a year in Dublin 
    https://www.lawsociety.ie/Certificate_in_English_and_Welsh_Property_Law_and_Practice_2017#.WGWRGVMrLmE
    I am assuming a solicitor from England can take the reverse route due to reciprocity (take a seminar on Irish Property Law and Practice) 
    The number of pages needed in my opinion depends on the question - straight up essay questions were about 8 pages in the book they provided for me (but my writing is relatively large). I think a discussion of 6-10 cases is a more appropriate measure.
    Best of Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Bazzzzzza

Hello, does anybody know off hand, can you do one paper per sitting and spread the exams out over a two/three year period? e.g. do Land Law & Conveyancing in one sitting, Contract & Tort in the next, Constitutional and Company in the next etc.

I work full time, am married etc. and don't have time to cram for more than one exam.

In case it is relevant to anyone's response and any other tips anyone might be willing to divulge :) : I qualified in NY, then England and Wales (via QLTS). I'm hoping to at least be exempt from EU law. I'm corporate counsel in a multinational, currently based in Dublin. I hold Irish law degree and llm.

Sincere thanks in advance for any responses tips.

Sure you can. You can take as many as you want per sitting.  
    But STOP. You are qualified in England and Wales? Then you might just be able to just be admitted depending on your PQE see https://www.lawsociety.ie/Public/Foreign-Lawyers/Cert-of-Admission/ Also when qualified in Ireland, one has to only take a seminar in Land Law and Conveyancing to qualify in England and Wales. It would be worthwhile to inquire if the same process exists the other way around. 
    Best of Luck.

Thank you very much for the quick reply!

I qualified in E & W only this year. I am aware that after 3 years (as it is my 2nd place of admission) I am eligible to apply for admission in Ireland- I am just afraid to sit back in case they change the rules again.

Thank you for letting me know I can do one paper at a time- this will help me plan for next year while I wait for the Law Soc admin to open in 2018 (when I'll start working out what exemptions I am eligible for)

I'm hoping the fact I've worked as an attorney for five years and qualified in England and already have degrees covering the core Irish subjects I'll get some exemptions. If I knew when I was younger I might end up perpetually doing exams covering fundamentally the same subject matter again and again I would have made a few drastically different choices :)

You might want to check if the Irish  equivalent exists for this course:
    https://web.lawsociety.ie/productdetails?pid=1190
    The Irish Law Society had a pamphlet that stated that  English and Irish law  very similar, and the only significant difference is Conveyancing between the two jurisdictions. So the Irish Law Society has an agreement with the SRA to admit Irish Solicitors who pass the above course as solicitors to England and Wales. So arguably (and I think I would do some research on this) you should just have to take Conveyancing for the QLTT using the SRA/Irish Law Society rationale.

Thank you again. I will certainly make that argument.

Congratulations on passing the Irish QLTT

Advertisement