Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Lukes cancer hospital charity sportive

Options
  • 16-05-2014 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

well folks,this is our 4th year running our event in Ferns Co. Wexford for this great cause,theres a 100k and a 60k route with great food stops and lovely participants bbq afterwards..NOM NOM!!for full details go to www.mysport.ie or follow us on facebook St Lukes charity sportive,cheers all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Can you give more details? MySport website, as it appears on my phone anyway, doesn't have any info yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

@Bcmf myself and captain havoc did this last year. Great route and very we'll run event. Recommend to anybody and it's for a great cause.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Yeah I loved it last year too, will certainly be there again myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭sidebyside

theres a link on top of mysport home page,its on 20th of july,sign on from ferns gaa from 8.30 til 9.30 roll out at 10,theres a 60k and 100k route both cross mt. leinster from kiltealy side!!25 euro entry which includes goody bag and bbq afterwards!all funds raised go directly to st lukes cancer hospital which im sure we will all agree is badly needed.

sponsor cards are also available for anyone looking for one for this event,contact me with name and address and we will post one one,cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Can you pay on the day

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Carpenter wrote: »
    Can you pay on the day

You could last year for sure, pretty sure you can this year too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

detones wrote: »
    @Bcmf myself and captain havoc did this last year. Great route and very we'll run event. Recommend to anybody and it's for a great cause.

yeah did it last year.
    got over mt. leinster without dying but it was the sneaky climb after 90km that really hurt.
    I think I cried.
    I may go back

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Boardsie spotted on the St Luke sportive fb page photos. Good pic whoever you are. Only a few pics in.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Boardsie spotted on the St Luke sportive fb page photos. Good pic whoever you are. Only a few pics in.

That was me, I'll no doubt be wearing a boards top again this year so feel free to say hello :)

• Advertisement

yes lads u can pay on the day,the sponsor cards are only optional if you want one,thanks for the interest!!yes that sliabh bhui at about 90k is a little ballbreaker!!!but at that stage think of the yummy bbq waiting for you!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I think I'll have to put this on the calendar looks like a nice route and not to far to travel, the pics on their fb page show some folks suffering on the hills. Are they all manageable to a fair weather cyclist. How would they compare to with naas to kippure climb spin?

Just got my first sponsor 50 cent from my granddaughter age 5

its a good start carpenter!!!have to start somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭bikermartin

I have signed up to the sportive ........ but I have never went over mt leinster. From people that have gotten over it and having to walk :eek: what would be the lowest gearing required. I have 53/39 and a cassette 13/34. I have a compact I can put on also if I would need it. I am 90kg so not looking for a day of punishment :cool:

I know this is going to be very subjective, and based on persons own strength etc but just looking for an idea. I am going to do the route before the day anways........ so it will be me time to pull out if I need to :confused:

I have signed up to the sportive ........ but I have never went over mt leinster. From people that have gotten over it and having to walk :eek: what would be the lowest gearing required. I have 53/39 and a cassette 13/34. I have a compact I can put on also if I would need it. I am 90kg so not looking for a day of punishment :cool:

I know this is going to be very subjective, and based on persons own strength etc but just looking for an idea. I am going to do the route before the day anways........ so it will be me time to pull out if I need to :confused:

The side that the sportive goes up is really not all that bad, not as hard as the Bunclody side for sure. It's just quite long...

The side that the sportive goes up is really not all that bad, not as hard as the Bunclody side for sure. It's just quite long...

I might give it a go next Saturday morning, ive a 39 by 34 lowest gear so that is low enough I hope. The longest spin ive done is 82 km, that was last summer so need to up the mileage a bit to make the event enjoyable. Im not far away from ferns/bunclody only about 16- 20 km so its right on my doorstep.

Is the courtyard bbq for the sportive cyclists or whats the charge for wife and kids to come down to the afters :D:D

I will need some one to drive me home as ill be to tired or too drunk :eek: or maybe both :rolleyes:

Hi bikemartin,the bbq is a family event all are welcome,cyclists are free but we will welcome everyone and for a few euro the family will be full aswell and all proceeds will be goin to St Lukes cancer hospital..

well folks,just over three weeks until the 4th St Lukes Charity Sportive,we're gettin preparations under way,hope ye are all gettin bikes ready..more importantly getting legs ready!!hope as much as ye as possible can make it to this great event and for a very worthy cause,for any info check out the link on www.mysport.ie or leave a comment here,thanks.

I went for a trial run over mt leinster on Friday last. It was not as bad as expected. The "never give up :) painting on the road " was funny as it was what I could have been doing. What I did not expect is how narrow the road is. I took a photo at the gate to prove I did get there. Coming back to bunclody tells me that the Kiltealy side is easier. There is some steep bits on the bunclody side way before you get to Mt Leinster. My garmin was telling me there was gradient up to 14pc on the way up. I will leave the climb to the mast for another time when ive got more training in. All in I done 89 km my longest since july 13 so happy with that. I am planning on doing the 60 km but may change on the day :confused:

• Advertisement

Very sorry to say I won't be participating this year, still recovering from a chest infection and haven't ridden in weeks. Hope there's a great turn-out regardless for this terrific event.

sorry to hear that darkglasses..we will save a burger for you next year!!!

well done bikemartin,with a few buns after mount leinster you'll fly the 100k spin!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

Hopefully a good turn out. Some of our guys are planning on doing this.

we had 320 last year so hopefully a good turn out again!!and a bit of sunshine with a bit of luck on the day

Just had a chat with the lads I got doing this and I think we are @ about 700 euro sponsorship fecking delighted wish the feck I had a Boards top now to show off

Carpenter wrote: »
    Just had a chat with the lads I got doing this and I think we are @ about 700 euro sponsorship fecking delighted wish the feck I had a Boards top now to show off

That's amazing, well done to you and your mates.

sidebyside wrote: »
    well done bikemartin,with a few buns after mount leinster you'll fly the 100k spin!!

I look forward to the buns........:D even though its the buns that give me the problem getting over the hill in the first place ...:eek::eek:

Hope the weather stays dry and should be a bit of fun :p:p

thank you very much to anyone showed up today,was v much appreciated..hope nobody ate to much!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Satdog

This was a great sportive, challenging route, well marshalled and great grub. Lots of photos appeared to be taken, anyone know if they are available online to view?

Advertisement