Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)

Badly Need Lab Some Biotech/Pharma Lab Experience

• 15-05-2014 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,414 ✭✭✭✭ Thargor

Hi, I have 2 degrees, biotech and a biopharma one I did because of the sh1t job situation when I graduated after the first degree. I have a job in a biotech company in Ireland but its office work bordering on data entry although the money is good.

On the rare, rare occasion I get an interview the lack of lab experience kills me even when I can answer any technical stuff they ask.

How the hell are you supposed to get lab experience? Quit a good job and sit on the dole until you can do a Jobsbridge? Emails to every company and science recruiter I can think of arent doing anything for me either.

I really need advice on this as my ultimate goal is to live in other countries for a year or two at a time but not washing dishes, I want proper career building lab work to put on my CV afterwards, Im totally stuck in a rut because of this and I know Im better off than most but its seriously depressing me, been doing this current role for nearly 4 years now and it is as dead end as it gets.

Any help appreciated thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mderobo

I use to work in a lab in UK and we always had science volunteers in over the summer. It might be difficult if you are working full-time and orking Monday-Friday. If you are flexible I would send out a few e-mails to readers in universities who research in your area and you should express your interest in that particular area and you feel experience in a lab would be of great benefit to your career. Usually if researchers have the capicity to take on a volunteer they will take on someone like yourself who has the qualifications.

Another alternative might be to consider an MRES, it will be a year off but its a full year of research and you'll have a masters in the end. Your CV would be almost water tight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement