Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Badly Need Lab Some Biotech/Pharma Lab Experience

• 15-05-2014 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I have 2 degrees, biotech and a biopharma one I did because of the sh1t job situation when I graduated after the first degree. I have a job in a biotech company in Ireland but its office work bordering on data entry although the money is good.

On the rare, rare occasion I get an interview the lack of lab experience kills me even when I can answer any technical stuff they ask.

How the hell are you supposed to get lab experience? Quit a good job and sit on the dole until you can do a Jobsbridge? Emails to every company and science recruiter I can think of arent doing anything for me either.

I really need advice on this as my ultimate goal is to live in other countries for a year or two at a time but not washing dishes, I want proper career building lab work to put on my CV afterwards, Im totally stuck in a rut because of this and I know Im better off than most but its seriously depressing me, been doing this current role for nearly 4 years now and it is as dead end as it gets.

Any help appreciated thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mderobo

I use to work in a lab in UK and we always had science volunteers in over the summer. It might be difficult if you are working full-time and orking Monday-Friday. If you are flexible I would send out a few e-mails to readers in universities who research in your area and you should express your interest in that particular area and you feel experience in a lab would be of great benefit to your career. Usually if researchers have the capicity to take on a volunteer they will take on someone like yourself who has the qualifications.

Another alternative might be to consider an MRES, it will be a year off but its a full year of research and you'll have a masters in the end. Your CV would be almost water tight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement