Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two devices. same number please

Options
  • 14-05-2014 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

I've been a Three customer for the last two years and I could not be happier with the service, save the call centers, just a language barrier. Thankfully I don't have to call very often.

Recently I bought a Galaxy tab 3 10.1” with 4G LTE and I was delighted to find out it actually made and received calls and texts aswel. Super so far so good, until I want a Sim for my new device that has my phone number and contract info.
    Apparently it cannot be done no two sims can have the same number, which is very disappointing and seems to be a rather large oversight imho.

I would guess that over 50% of smartphone users also have a secondary device either an ipad, andriod tab, or some kind of sim accessible device which they would happily pay a further €10 to have a second sim for their account, a Primary sim in their phone and another in their other device to relay calls and messages.

when my phone rings, I could answer on my tablet if it was nearer than my phone, makes sense... if I'm working on my tablet and I need to call someone, how sweet would it be to not have to reach for my phone to get some help or offer some, especially since I'm already on a phone, but one I can't use because no one has upgraded the network in an age?

My question is, When will dual sims be available for purchase? I know currently it's impossible and I'll have to get by with tethering for the foreseeable future. But is this even on the drawing boards yet or will I have to move to a first world country to get something like this for my devices?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭dodzy

Can't have 2 sims with one number active on network at one time. Asked this question way back ( Vodafone) when I wanted to have nice phone & sh1tty workhorse both active.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

dodzy wrote: »
    Can't have 2 sims with one number active on network at one time. Asked this question way back ( Vodafone) when I wanted to have nice phone & sh1tty workhorse both active.

Yeah I know I'm really annoyed about it. It's a simple network reconfiguration with primary and slave sims. I don't know why these networks aren't tripping over themselves to beat each other to the punch.

Ah well .... we can only dream

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Vince32 wrote: »
    Yeah I know I'm really annoyed about it. It's a simple network reconfiguration with primary and slave sims. I don't know why these networks aren't tripping over themselves to beat each other to the punch.

Ah well .... we can only dream

It will probably be along the lines of an app on the tablet that will let you use the number on it, when it is connected via wifi/data connection to mimic the sim

• Registered Users Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Vince32 wrote: »
    It's a simple network reconfiguration...
    Is it? How many networks, worldwide, offer it?

And the reason why networks aren't tripping over themselves to provide is because there's virtually no demand for it.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

think of all the cheap skate people who would use the same number on several devices for more than 1 person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

not offered by any network anywhere so moving to a "1st world country" wont help...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

When would you ever be away from your phone though that you needed the sim in the tablet? It's an interesting idea but I would certainly never use it, just get viber/whats app/skpe etc. installed on the tablet, problem sorted.

set up one sim to fwd to teh other if not answered if thats the issue. Just think of the scope for loss of confidentiality if it ws legal to clone sims

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

set up one sim to fwd to teh other if not answered if thats the issue. Just think of the scope for loss of confidentiality if it ws legal to clone sims

Is it actually possible to clone sims?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Finland you can have 2 sims on 1 number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

snaps wrote: »

Bloody hell I dont want to move to Finland lol. But at least someone is leading the tech in the right direction.
    Good for you Finland !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

well they have been able to have 2 sims for many years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Does it download a sms to both. How does it keep ones you read not read in sync, likewise missed calls numbers rang as that seems to something that's not on the sim.

newmug wrote: »
    Is it actually possible to clone sims?

yes, but its not something you would want to be getting legally involved in :P Its easier and illegal in the US (CDMA), but is possible here ie on GSM networks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

It's not a simple configuration, every phone has to be uniquely identified to the phone mast, to change this at all it would mean gutting and replacing every phone mast in the country at the cost of hundreds of millions of euro.

It also increases technical issues tenfold and would massively increase costs for the company which would be passed onto the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

snaps wrote: »

But are these two sim which are active for voice calls and text messages at the same time on the same number?

2 SIMs on the same account with a second one which is data only (and actually has a different number) I have seen in other countries - but never the same number assigned to both.

I didn't thing GSM supported this and there are situation when it must be tricky ... SMS is one example that has been given, roaming is another one I can thing of (assuming it is possible, it is definitely uncommon ... what happens if you go abroad with your 2 phones and turns them on at the same time on a network which doesn't support it?).

Advertisement