Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAAGO™ the subscription-based online streaming service from the GAA and RTÉ Digital

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Squareball

I paid $14 to watch each league game and I think it was $19 for the final this year. I think this is a good deal, it will be a great deal if the quality is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭kksaints

If you really followed GAA you'd watch anything

A lot of GAA fanatics I know only watch Hurling so I think have packages for one code only would be a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Originally Posted by beggars_bush View Post

Watch much handball and rounders do you? If the gaa cared at all they'd also show those sports on their streaming service

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Little bit more info on rte website
    For audiences worldwide, The Sunday Game highlights programme will continue to be available to view for free on the RTÉ Player in the days following broadcast.
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2014/0514/617212-gaago-launched-by-gaa-and-rte/
    So available on the Wednesday after for free if it's to be the same.
    No word if it's available live on gaago to folks abroad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Watch much handball and rounders do you? If the gaa cared at all they'd also show those sports on their streaming service

Nobody would watch those if they were free to air on RTE. So how can you use that as a stick to beat the GAA with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 cgeaney

I think this is too expensive for a lot of Irish people abroad. Somebody is making a killing here at €110. There isn't that much extra infrastructure needed on top of already recording the match. It will be too expensive for most Irish living abroad(young Irish in Australia, missionaries, lukewarm gaa fans). Even Sky hardly charge that much to watch a single match. I hope the illegal streamers cane this rip-off. RTE have had years to set up a simple effective streaming service but have been too lazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

cgeaney wrote: »
    I think this is too expensive for a lot of Irish people abroad. Somebody is making a killing here at €110. There isn't that much extra infrastructure needed on top of already recording the match. It will be too expensive for most Irish living abroad(young Irish in Australia, missionaries, lukewarm gaa fans). Even Sky hardly charge that much to watch a single match. I hope the illegal streamers cane this rip-off. RTE have had years to set up a simple effective streaming service but have been too lazy.

€2.45 a match. If you follow all the hurling games, I reckon in the region of 15, €36.75 a year. If you went to see the All-Ireland final alone in an Irish bar (probably your best alternative while abroad) you'd probably spend in the region of that sum in one day. And you can watch the game whenever. Think it's very fair, though not sure about Britain and their pricing there.

Problem is, if Sky deem this a success and want to keep going with it, then it will become less and less fair. This will look cheap in the 3 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,027 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Can someone living abroad give us an idea of how much they paid to watch GAA in 2013.

If I was still in North America I reckon it would cost me the following.

In the pub.
    At least 5 and possibly all 6 Mayo games @ $20 a go,(is it still $20 to get in ?) so that's $100 to $120.
    One or two other Sundays, e.g Munster football final, football quarter final, football semi final, so that is another $40 to $60.

So that's anywhere between $100 and $180, before you spend a penny on food and drink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

kksaints wrote: »
    Pity there isnt packages like Hurling only and football only available. If your interested in one code only having to pay full price for a lot of matches that you wont watch would be somewhat annoying.

Peter McKenna was on the radio yesterday and he suggested that in 2015 the service would cover every game, on just the ones broadcast on TV.

So I'd expect a range of different packages and prices next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

cgeaney wrote: »

How you can call less than €2.50 a game expensive :eek: It's actually very good value, much better than what was being charged by the likes of Setanta up until now. If you only went into your local Irish bar for the semi-finals and finals you would spend a lot more than €110. Plus it wouldn't be too hard to get a few people to chip in and watch the games together at someones house.

Nobody would watch those if they were free to air on RTE. So how can you use that as a stick to beat the GAA with?

I quoted the wrong post. I meant to quote

Since rounders and handball are also part of the GAA I assume he watches all he can of them as well. Otherwise his comment was completely hypocrytical.

In relation to the cost. I only watch hurling. Therefore 110 euro is too expensive for the 15 or so games that will be available. I would only get to watch about 10 in a year so that is about 10 euro a game for me. it is cheaper to go to the pub for the matches i want to watch. The quality will be better as well i suspect judging by previous RTE streams.

RTE and the GAA had a chance here to really provide a good service but i feel the cost will put off a lot of people.

I quoted the wrong post. I meant to quote

Since rounders and handball are also part of the GAA I assume he watches all he can of them as well. Otherwise his comment was completely hypocrytical.

In relation to the cost. I only watch hurling. Therefore 110 euro is too expensive for the 15 or so games that will be available. I would only get to watch about 10 in a year so that is about 10 euro a game for me. it is cheaper to go to the pub for the matches i want to watch. The quality will be better as well i suspect judging by previous RTE streams.

RTE and the GAA had a chance here to really provide a good service but i feel the cost will put off a lot of people.

How much will you be paying to go to the pub for the 10 games ?

<snip>

+1

for what is realisticaly a handful of games which you'd actually be interested in watching live, its overpriced, and the number of games which some would watch is indeed less again as you'd prefer to watch those important games in the pub with your mates anyhow.

and grand, you can pay a tenner a single game, but a tenner for a game that you only sort of half bothered about - its a choice you can now make - but most would choose to pocket the tenner.

How much will you be paying to go to the pub for the 10 games ?

2 drinks, maybe 8 euro?

2 drinks, maybe 8 euro?

So where you go to watch games there is no cover charge

That's handy, the GAA Go service may not be for you.

But there is a cover charge in many many places, and as my example earlier showed the cost of going to see games could be as high a $20 per visit

So where you go to watch games there is no cover charge

That's handy, the GAA Go service may not be for you.

But there is a cover charge in many many places, and as my example earlier showed the cost of going to see games could be as high a $20 per visit

I actually haven't seen a cover charge in any pub in Europe when i go to watch GAA. As far as I am aware only pubs in America charge this as I've seen it nowhere else. Perhaps someone can correct me if I am wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

That's right, because most pubs in Europe can pick up RTE through the satellite, provided they have a big enough satellite dish. It's a grey area of course, because they are using Sky subscriptions registered to Irish addresses. I wouldn't put it past the GAA to start cracking down on these pubs and grassing on them to Sky now that they have their GAAGO service.

I actually haven't seen a cover charge in any pub in Europe when i go to watch GAA. As far as I am aware only pubs in America charge this as I've seen it nowhere else. Perhaps someone can correct me if I am wrong.
    it's only in the USA.

and the logic that the high price can be justified by the fact that a pub charges for beer is sortof twisted.

Is it not the other way round? (i.e. the high price makes going to the pub MORE, not less attractive)

If I am going to pay 20euro for a Sunday afternoon of GAA at home, wouldnt I be better off going to the pub and spending the same or less and having a bit of social company with folks who speak the same language and have similar interests to me, and have the bonus (which applies to a large amount of folks I know abroad) of having no kids under your feet to hinder you actually watching the match?

It’s expensive if you can’t afford it like everything else. It is also expensive if you only have a tepid interest in the game. I for one think it is a good deal saying again, if the quality is good. I spent more than that watching it on Premium Sports last year. In years past I spent more than that going to the pub to watch it.

While I don’t know the exact figures there is a pub near me that pays something in the region of $15k to $20k for a full season of GAA. That’s why he charges $20 at the door.

• Advertisement

it's only in the USA.

and the logic that the high price can be justified by the fact that a pub charges for beer is sortof twisted.

Is it not the other way round? (i.e. the high price makes going to the pub MORE, not less attractive)

If I am going to pay 20euro for a Sunday afternoon of GAA at home, wouldnt I be better off going to the pub and spending the same or less and having a bit of social company with folks who speak the same language and have similar interests to me, and have the bonus (which applies to a large amount of folks I know abroad) of having no kids under your feet to hinder you actually watching the match?

You can argue that both ways
    Its easier for a person without a family to head down to a pub on a Sunday morning, pay $20 and watch a game.
    Its much harder for a person with kids, plus the kids are not getting the exposure to GAA as a result.
    Having an online service at home is much more family friendly.

Squareball wrote: »
    It’s expensive if you can’t afford it like everything else. It is also expensive if you only have a tepid interest in the game. I for one think it is a good deal saying again, if the quality is good. I spent more than that watching it on Premium Sports last year. In years past I spent more than that going to the pub to watch it.

While I don’t know the exact figures there is a pub near me that pays something in the region of $15k to $20k for a full season of GAA. That’s why he charges $20 at the door.
    thats USA.

for the rest of the world Premium sports was 10pounds a month for the streaming IIRC.
    So the summer for 40pounds, or say 50euro or so- and it included extra games like Dublin v Kilkenny in the hurling, and some of the games on Sunday deferred after the 2 live ones.

Now its €110 AND I have less games.
    I cant see how thats an improvement

thats USA.

for the rest of the world Premium sports was 10pounds a month for the streaming IIRC.
    So the summer for 40pounds, or say 50euro or so- and it included extra games like Dublin v Kilkenny in the hurling, and some of the games on Sunday deferred after the 2 live ones.

Now its €110 AND I have less games.
    I cant see how thats an improvement

I think it's always the case that a service like this will be better value in one market than another.

Maybe with time the pricing may be further adjusted based on region.

I think it's always the case that a service like this will be better value in one market than another.

Maybe with time the pricing may be further adjusted based on region.
    anyone I've talked to so far in Europe is saying its double the price it should be, and nobody I know is even considering signing up.
    and then from the USA many are saying its a fair price and are very happy with the deal.

I cant see it ever being adjusted by region though.

I would say that if there was actually a premium aspect to it, the full amount of league games, extra games like premium sports had and maybe more (which is totally possible seeing as most games are streamed live to Montrose with commentatry anyhow - as our sat forum chaps will infom you of), AND a smigin of info on how bombproof and HQ the streams are, then you'd be approaching justifying the cost or even pushing it to €150 a year - and I'd pay it.

But as it stands I'll live with watching it in the pub and the radio (which is your only guarantee anyhow of getting the actual match youre interested in seeing as 50%+ arent televised) - and put the 110towards the flight back for the all ireland in september.

anyone I've talked to so far in Europe is saying its double the price it should be, and nobody I know is even considering signing up.
    and then from the USA many are saying its a fair price and are very happy with the deal.

I cant see it ever being adjusted by region though.

I would say that if there was actually a premium aspect to it, the full amount of league games, extra games like premium sports had and maybe more (which is totally possible seeing as most games are streamed live to Montrose with commentatry anyhow - as our sat forum chaps will infom you of), AND a smigin of info on how bombproof and HQ the streams are, then you'd be approaching justifying the cost or even pushing it to €150 a year - and I'd pay it.

But as it stands I'll live with watching it in the pub and the radio (which is your only guarantee anyhow of getting the actual match youre interested in seeing as 50%+ arent televised) - and put the 110towards the flight back for the all ireland in september.

Of course the price may be adjusted by region

NFL GamePass is free in Argentina and NZ, yet costs e160 odd in Ireland.

You could have one price for North America registered users , a different one for Europe

not for the first time in the past weeks, the Irish times has far more insightful coverage of a GAA topic than (ironically in this case) RTE or the other papers - who barely manage to quote their spoon fed press releases correctly. Anyhow....
    “People are willing to subscribe for this, particularly in the United States market. From an RTÉ perspective this is very, very important for us.” said Noel Curran, RTÉ director general.
    <snip>

Both the GAA and RTÉ are planning to break even in 2014, but will be adding league games next season along with additional analysis only available on the platform.
    <snip>

The bulk target audience, McKenna insisted, is North America but this new service will be available anywhere in the world where there is internet access.

“But I would like to draw a distinction between what we do from a broadcast perspective and what we’re doing with GAA Go. GAA Go is where we want to drive all of our international coverage and while Sky will have some of the games exclusive to them, the majority of our matches and even games which are not shown live here* will be available to an international audience.
    “You’re not just restricted to buying a year pass, you can buy a match pass, you can buy a cluster of games as well.”
    *here = Ireland
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaa-believes-rt%C3%A9-online-streaming-trumps-sky-deal-1.1795694

so
    a) the yanks want to pay lots for the service and have said so in market research - so they have the expensive service, and unfortunately the rest of the world has to pay the same.
    b) theres mention of extra games over whats available in Ireland
    c) theres the first mention of packages (clusters) of games that I've seen, which opens the possibility of a hurling package, provincial package, maybe a weekend pass or something along those lines.
    d) in general, if the interviews are to be believed, theres heaps of investment in this "break even" project and its to be the main pillar of international coverage for the next decade, so maybe it will be infinitely better than the failure prone, under capacity RTE player/ existing servers. Maybe.
    e) league games are to be included next year, again not mentioned in what are considered the mainstream GAA press
    f) the "premium" aspect is fleshed out a little, as on top of the extra games, there'll be special extra analysis so again moving a little toward justifying the hefty price tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Disgraceful price for the Subscription.Its an amateur sport.

MD1990 wrote: »

That's an idiotic statement

If you play the 'amateur game; card then you should be against the everything about game beyond the parish field.

MD1990 wrote: »

Then don't pay it. I don't think it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Now I can watch Limerick win the all Ireland from over here in New Zealand....

No, they still haven't clarified yet if this will also include some old episodes of GAA Gold

Advertisement