Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it worth reading if you watched it on tv first ?

Options
  • 12-05-2014 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,539 ✭✭✭✭

Simple is it worth reading the books if you have watched it all on TV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

i've started reading first book, if you've time then ya. you can breeze through it quick enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

I was watching the show. Started reading the book before this season started. Got up past book 4. Stopped reading as I found the TV show to be better.

One thing though. The books really help you understand who the feck everyone is.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MrBobbyZ

HBO has done an amazing job of bringing these books to the small screen.
    However as with most adaptations in order to "fit" each book into a 10 episode season they had to streamline some areas, remove others, merge characters etc etc.
    IMO the books are better and there is more depth to the characters and story arcs.
    The only negative is you have already seen some of the big moments thus the surprise element is gone.
    That said (without spoilers) there are plenty more surprises in the later books.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Speaking as someone who has only read the first two books, I would say no.

By all means, it IS worthwhile reading the books, because they are good. But I think the show is just as good if not better, and so I choose to spend my time reading other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Two different but excellent well developed pieces of fiction. It's like comparing a steak dinner to a bottle of whiskey.

The Books have more detail and brings you into a much larger tapestry of story lines and back stories created by Martin that would not be covered by the show due to time and budget constraints and trying not to confuse the audience. If you want to know these details, feel the emotions felt by the narrators and immerse yourself in the world of Ice and Fire then I suggest reading the books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

If you really love the show, deffo go and read the books. It gives you more insight and you will also be surprised about how much got changed on the show.
    Not a bad thing tho, it's almost like a "2nd game of thrones" haha

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

For me its a yes, I didn't pick up book 1 until after the first series had aired, knowing the plot doesn't take away from how great the books are imo. I'm now on book 4, its the first book where I don't know what to expect and I can't say its any more enjoyable for that. They both complement each other very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I started reading after the first season aired but before I'd seen it. I'd say it's definitely worth reading. As with all series, there's a lot of information in the books that there simply isn't the time to include in the series. Pages and pages of backstory and history that really gives you an insight into the relationships not only between the people, but also between the houses.

One thing I still can't get over is that in the books I manage to find myself lost sometimes when suddenly five new names are dropped in and discussions taking place about things you've never heard of before. Reading the books is like joining a conversation in the middle, and you have to retrospectively piece it all together. How people manage to watch the TV series without getting completely lost, I have no idea :D

The show and the book also do some things quite differently - there are relatively important characters in the book who are completely omitted from the series - so there are still surprises in the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Yes!!!

I too started reading after the first season and couldn't believe all the family connections I'd completely missed in the show. Because the books are told from various characters' POVs as well it allows for a lot more subtlety when it comes to their motives. Definitely worth reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

From about halfwa through the second seriues/book, yes. Before that, the ypretty much mirror each other.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mac B

Two different but excellent well developed pieces of fiction. It's like comparing a steak dinner to a bottle of whiskey.

The Books have more detail and brings you into a much larger tapestry of story lines and back stories created by Martin that would not be covered by the show due to time and budget constraints and trying not to confuse the audience. If you want to know these details, feel the emotions felt by the narrators and immerse yourself in the world of Ice and Fire then I suggest reading the books.

I agree with this. I saw and loved season 1 on TV and didn't start books until then. The books gives so much more detail that it didn't bother me I had seen it on TV. By the time season 2 started I realised I understood much easier what's going on by having read the books, but still loved the TV show. So I would advise YES read the books, you can enjoy both even when you know what's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

I'd say it's worth it. I think GRRM is a great writer, really gets inside his characters - and the POV style is engaging.

Also as has been said, there's a lot of detail in the books that you don't see in the TV show. You also get a head start on what's coming up next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

I read the books after season 2, and now wish I'd waited until after the series was finished, as I prefer watching the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,078 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

By all means, it IS worthwhile reading the books, because they are good. But I think the show is just as good if not better, and so I choose to spend my time reading other things.

Ah really? Storm of Swords is probably my favourite book ever.

The show's lack of subtlety will probably throw you due to things not being explained in the middle of large rooms with a lot of potential people listening in. It would ruin a lot of the charm I found in them knowing what happened with a lot of characters when the book doesn't explicitly tell you. But of course the books are better, just like in absolutely every other adaptation of a book I've seen and read.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MrBobbyZ

"How people manage to watch the TV series without getting completely lost, I have no idea :D"

Agree 100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I have read all the books and after this season I think I will start reading them again. I thought they were fantastic an I personally prefer them to the shows and I love the shows. Best thing I have ever watched.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I have only read the books and have never seen one episode of the show. This was deliberate on my part because I don't like watching TV/film versions of books I like. I also hate when things are different to the stories.

Unsurprisingly I'm going to recommend reading the books. I've been entertained by all of them.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I'm just getting towards the end of the second book. I would say it's worth it, I like coming across the little differences and obviously the greater detail of the books helps add to some of the scenes that were quickly dealt with on telly. I kinda wish the the characters' appearance in the telly show was more alike the book description. . .not enough wooden teeth!

I have only read the books and have never seen one episode of the show. This was deliberate on my part because I don't like watching TV/film versions of books I like. I also hate when things are different to the stories.

Unsurprisingly I'm going to recommend reading the books. I've been entertained by all of them.

I was doing so well on this front until my unemployed first month in Canada, now I just get annoyed by it every week. That said, some of the cinematography and locations are fantastic and they did a really good job of casting the characters that haven't been left out. The problem is they make changes that seem to be meaningless a lot of the time. I don't see why they didn't just have 20 episode seasons if they were going to make it like a round the world sketch show tbh giving characters 5 minutes an episode. They have really powerful scenes ruined because they immediately follow the characters involved having a meaningless sex scene and the sneakier characters have the same tendencies as every action movie baddie ever with explaining their motivations.

Long story short, the books are better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Deco99 wrote: »
    i've started reading first book, if you've time then ya. you can breeze through it quick enough.

Are you kidding me? It took me about 6 months to read the 4th book......

If you've watched the series, it's unlikely you will enjoy the books (IMO!). I found some of the books a real drag. Switching characters every chapter just didn't do it for me. It's ruined the flow of the book. I'm glad I read them all but I certainly won't be re-reading them.

It was a relief to start reading the Mistborn series after I finished GOT. Just my 2 cents. I found the TV series to be very very good. I haven't started the new season yet, I'm waiting until it's finished so I can have a GOT marathon weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I think I've read the series 3 times now. I wholeheartedly recommend them over the series. As said, the show is cut down somewhat to make the story fit into 10 episodes. The first season is pretty much dead on, but after that there's events in the series that are executed poorly in comparison to the books (can't spoil, but it was something that was very avoidable that made no sense in the series, but was completely justified how it happened in the books).

Its frustrating really. Don't get me wrong, the series is very good, and friends who only watch the show are constantly saying its the best thing on TV, then flat out refuse to read the books as they "don't read". But there's sure more depth, history, and foreshadowing in the books that has to be cut from the show due to time constraints.

maguic24 wrote: »
    Are you kidding me? It took me about 6 months to read the 4th book......

If you've watched the series, it's unlikely you will enjoy the books (IMO!). I found some of the books a real drag. Switching characters every chapter just didn't do it for me. It's ruined the flow of the book. I'm glad I read them all but I certainly won't be re-reading them.

It was a relief to start reading the Mistborn series after I finished GOT. Just my 2 cents. I found the TV series to be very very good. I haven't started the new season yet, I'm waiting until it's finished so I can have a GOT marathon weekend.
    But it doesn't ruin the flow of the show to switch characters every 5 minutes? Obviously if you read a whole series of books in succession you're probably going to get a bit sick of it at some stage, I took it slow, stopping a couple of times for days, weeks and once months, reading something as fast as you can just to read it will do that to you. I read slow so I get the build up a bit better I think whereas I'd say people who read a bit faster might just zip through and maybe read back once or twice if something shocking happens. There's so much to remember in these books that I think the people who've gotten instant gratification from the TV show are expecting such when they read the likes of AFFC or DWD. 2 books built up to the Blackwater and afterwards the world came crashing down in SoS as we are seeing on screen with the weddings. To expect it to continue at that rate of action in future books was people building it up too much I think.

Liam O wrote: »
    But it doesn't ruin the flow of the show to switch characters every 5 minutes? Obviously if you read a whole series of books in succession you're probably going to get a bit sick of it at some stage, I took it slow, stopping a couple of times for days, weeks and once months, reading something as fast as you can just to read it will do that to you. I read slow so I get the build up a bit better I think whereas I'd say people who read a bit faster might just zip through and maybe read back once or twice if something shocking happens. There's so much to remember in these books that I think the people who've gotten instant gratification from the TV show are expecting such when they read the likes of AFFC or DWD. 2 books built up to the Blackwater and afterwards the world came crashing down in SoS as we are seeing on screen with the weddings. To expect it to continue at that rate of action in future books was people building it up too much I think.

Yeah, I preferred watching the series to the books. Just to clarify, it took me 6 months to read 1 book (the fourth book), 6 months!:eek: If that's not slow, tell me what is?

I love books that are page turners, that keep me up all night flicking from page to page dying to know what happens next. Unfortunately GOT didn't have that effect on me and my personal opinion is that it is totally over-hyped.

Fair enough if you disagree, the above is only my opinion of the books. I can see a backlash coming from this comment. What would I know, right? As I said, it's my own opinion on it!!. I don't write books, I haven't majored in creative writing, I read only for pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Watched the first three seasons then read all five books in about 3 months. Only realised then how much the shows had to cut out, the books are excellent and always leave you wanting to read one more chapter to see what happens next

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

6 months for one book?
    I consider 1 week for one book for long....it probably depends how much and how fast you read...

celica00 wrote: »
    6 months for one book?
    I consider 1 week for one book for long....it probably depends how much and how fast you read...

It took me so long because I was so bored reading it. I've read some books in the space of a day, I liked them so much.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Read all the books before I started the show, have to say I haven't been disappointed by the show at all. Compared to the utter drivel that passes for television these days for the most part, GOT is by far and away the best thing out there at the moment (imo...) Books are excellent and I highly recommend them but the show is doing them justice.
    Sure things have to be pointed out in obvious manner and other bits have been left out entirely, but that's the nature of episodic tv these days. Friends of mine who have never read the books have classed the show equal to or above classics like Sopranos and The Wire et al... speaks volumes really for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

The best book in the whole series is the 3rd Book (part 1 and 2) so you missed out on one of the best books ever right there!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭prq

joe123 wrote: »
    The best book in the whole series is the 3rd Book (part 1 and 2) so you missed out on one of the best books ever right there!

Can't agree there, the books slowly start coming down in quality. 1 and 2 were very good, 3 was good/ok, 4th was poor, 5th was quite poor.

Since the series so far focus up to book 3, they're fine. I shudder to think how someone will make a show out of book 4. So yes, worth reading the books so far if you watched on TV first, but I guess that may change next season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

prq wrote: »
    Can't agree there, the books slowly start coming down in quality. 1 and 2 were very good, 3 was good/ok, 4th was poor, 5th was quite poor.

Since the series so far focus up to book 3, they're fine. I shudder to think how someone will make a show out of book 4. So yes, worth reading the books so far if you watched on TV first, but I guess that may change next season.

I thought the same but a re-read and changed my mind. 4&5, when read chronologically are incredible. Always thought 3 was amazing.

You are right though that 4&5 start to drag. It won't make for very inspiring tv! Unless they do them chronologically, then the story just flows better. Ah who's to know. I don't really watch the show anyway, so live and let live.

Advertisement