Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Fish & Chip Day Wednesday May 28th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Is this real fish or rectangle fish?
    Is there a "best chip shop" award in Ireland?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Scottie99 wrote: »
    Is there a "best chip shop" award in Ireland?

Last time I remember there being one, it was on Gay Byrne's Radio 1 show - so not recently!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

He said people go mad for it on this one day.

He showed me his Menu and he does the same thing every Tuesday and nothing...

Its all hype and cheaper deals to be had throughout the week
    Sounds like he just needs better advertising. I find all my local chippers are pretty poor at advertising, many have amazing deals but they are often not on the menu they stick in the door. Even when its on the menu it can go un-noticed. They seem to keep quiet about it in chippers too, i.e. someone orders XY&Z but they do not say "did you know about this deal, its similar to what you ordered" -but they might value the higher sale more -e.g. in a chipper near me its sometimes cheaper to get a deal even if you are going to bin the can of coke you get with it. This happens in my local chinese too, many overpay simply because they trot out their order in such a way that they do not get a "meal price".

Scottie99 wrote: »
    Is this real fish or rectangle fish?
    Depends on the chipper, I didn't hear of any who partook who did not do it for the "fresh cod", many did the cheaper "cod portion" too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭mbradso2003

Romayo’s Take Away Balally Shopping Centre, Sandyford Dublin 18 has best chips in area!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

AdMMM wrote: »
    Most places will end up doing it. You'll find that on the week the media will give coverage to National Fish and Chip day, so that guilts most chippers into doing the offer.

The Marian will be the only place doing it a lot of chippers in Waterford do a mid week deal anyway from Monday to Thursday and this is falling on a Wednesday so i doubt any will be pressured into doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Borza in Sandymount. Oh my word !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

very few in Dublin city centre! would fancy some chips for lunch!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Burdocks in Christchurch are doing their own half price fish and chip day event on the 28th to celebrate their 100th birthday.

http://www.leoburdock.com/about/events/index.html

Can't believe I was labouring under the illusion it was 2014.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

racso1975 wrote: »
    None in Carlow

I noticed this as well..

I'll just get my usual Tonys Special then..,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Roma in Dundalk not on the list but usually does it
    Queue out the door every day so you can guess what it's like when it's half price mental

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Sam Mac wrote: »
    Pretty disappointing for us Cork people - only two and none in the city!! Disgraceful

We have Lennoxs and KC's to make up for it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Jesus, 2 weeks notice for a chipper deal. Hungry b**tards

• Registered Users Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Assumed the Macaris in Limerick was on it. Sadly disappointed to find out it's actually a Mc'Aris. Great Fish n Chips but sadly not half price. :(

There's a macaris in Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Guffy

Thought it was today god dammit. None in galway anyway so doesn't matter either way I guess

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Jesus, 2 weeks notice for a chipper deal. Hungry b**tards

FFS! I thought it was today! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,271 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Guys lets get the deal right.

This is for ITICA chippers, not just a bargain for all chippers. ITICA have core core rules which separates them from the rest of the chippers.

Our Core Values
    Freshly cut chips are the only chips we serve
    Our customers will be treated courteously and efficiently
    All meals will be prepared to the highest food safety standard
    Our shops will be maintained to the highest standard
    Our shops remain a safe and welcoming environment
    We will support ITICA promotional activities

The part in black rules out all the manky country chippers that use frozen chips.

so if your chipper uses frozen chips, then don't bother mentioning them in this thread,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

MarkR wrote: »
    FFS! I thought it was today! :D

Ha! Same. Have to have them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭saucyleopard

My wife loves this day. She's big into her fish and chips. There's one in Arklow but I can't think of the name off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

ted1 wrote: »

This is for ITICA chippers, not just a bargain for all chippers. ITICA have core core rules which separates them from the rest of the chippers.

Our Core Values
    Freshly cut chips are the only chips we serve
    Our customers will be treated courteously and efficiently
    All meals will be prepared to the highest food safety standard
    Our shops will be maintained to the highest standard
    Our shops remain a safe and welcoming environment
    We will support ITICA promotional activities

The part in black rules out all the manky country chippers that use frozen chips.

so if your chipper uses frozen chips, then don't bother mentioning them in this thread,

Plus we already know what towns have and ITICA and those that don't - there was a link to their website already posted everyone !!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Glebee wrote: »
    There does be carnage at my local chippy. You would swear people had never tasted fish and chips before.. It does be mental...

My local chipper is mental on that day too, up until about 10pm, I never go there on that day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

gufc21 wrote: »
    Thought it was today god dammit. None in galway anyway so doesn't matter either way I guess
    You should have a look in your local chippers. I have found many have started doing deals in the past year or so, years ago it was rare enough to find a genuine deal in chippers. Many started doing lunch deals, and some have done special day deals on off peak days, or deal of the month. Years ago many "meals" in chippers were just the same price as buying the drink, chips & burger all separately, or a mere 20c saving.

This goes for chinese & indian takeaways too, many chinese places now offer "snack boxes" with a few bits of everything and a scoop of chips and a small sauce and a can.

Europa chipper in deansgrange (near bakers corner) dublin does a fish & chips on wednesday for €5.50 (not the square cod portion). They do a 2 piece chicken snack box for €4 on thursday.

This is for ITICA chippers, not just a bargain for all chippers.
    There are possibly more non-ITICA chippers taking part than there are ITICA members though. You can check previous years threads to search for your local.
    And I am talking about real chippers -to me, a place that uses frozen chips is by definition not a chipper. Like abras or mcdonalds, I would call them takeaways, or fast food places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

bump for Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭patrickc

none in Carlow anymore :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

My local Roma in Clara, Co. Offaly have a big sign on their window advertising they are doing it yet they are not listed on the OP webpage flier. They also did it the past few years too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Davie89 wrote: »
    Can someone recommend where would be best to go for someone new to Dub? Living in Terenure but working in Sandyford/Stillorglin so either of these two areas ( or in between)

:D:D:D:D:D

Aprile is in stillorgan:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

patrickc wrote: »
    none in Carlow anymore :mad:

Somewhere will still do it though. Huge number of non-members jump on the bandwagon; mainly because a lot of them do the same deal or damn close one day every week anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭patrickc

its today :0 and l've discovered Florinios in Carlow are doing it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

patrickc wrote: »
    its today :0 and l've discovered Florinios in Carlow are doing it

Starting to que outside my local,now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Kiith wrote: »
    Burdocks used get insanely busy between 5pm-8pm. Be prepared for a 20-30 minute queue at peak times.

Apparently Leo Burdocks aren't on the list. Nm.
    burdocks is the heineken of chippers, everyone thinks its lovely but there is much better available

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

I haven't had a takeaway all year. Will be sorely tempted tonight.

Advertisement