Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average cost of a wedding cake

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭anamaria

We'd love a lemon cake of some sort - it's the preferred type of cake for both of us. Do many bakers actually do them as wedding cake?

I'm making my own but got a wonderful book with great recipes and decoration ideas, and there's a lovely lovely lemon recipe in it!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

We'd love a lemon cake of some sort - it's the preferred type of cake for both of us. Do many bakers actually do them as wedding cake?

You could easily get a lemon madeira cake - like a lemon drizzle cake. You can have pretty much anything you want as a wedding cake, but if you want it covered with sugarpaste, it can't be too light (the cake would collapse under the weight of the icing). So madeira cake, CBC, fruit cake, red velvet etc all work just fine. You could have a lemony buttercream too if you didn't want sugarpaste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Kate!!! wrote: »
    Cupcakes are a great idea it's probably what I will go with I think . I don't want a cake to go to waste . Was thinking of getting little take away boxea for guests to take some home if they like

That's a great idea, and cupcake tasting is fun! In cork, the best tasting commercial ones are from the shop on anglesea street I think. Cupcake cottage. My friends had them for their wedding, yummo.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I had lemon Madeira for my top tier, I think most bakers do them. The only thing you need to bear in mind is if you're having more than one flavour, the Madeira will most likely need to be the top tier because it'd be lighter than a fruit cake or chocolate biscuit cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Kate!!! wrote: »
    Cake looks fab !!! Can I ask who is making that for you ?

Sorry for the late reply, probably going to go with Dee Vinci cakes. Deirdre is fantastic, she's on Facebook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

I've done lemon a few times as the middle layer and never had any issues with it. Once it's properly dowelled you can put the layers in any order you like! Well maybe not chocolate biscuit on top, but other than that....

I've done cakes for friends as a present. I'm no expert and I do find it very stressful, but the cost of the ingredients (including icing, dowels, bases, etc.) would be around €70-€100 and then the baking and icing would take about 1- 1.5 days, so if you take all that into consideration €300-400 is not that outrageous! Although I'd imagine a pro would probably do it all quicker than I do!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

kkcatlou wrote: »
    I've done lemon a few times as the middle layer and never had any issues with it. Once it's properly dowelled you can put the layers in any order you like! Well maybe not chocolate biscuit on top, but other than that....

I've done cakes for friends as a present. I'm no expert and I do find it very stressful, but the cost of the ingredients (including icing, dowels, bases, etc.) would be around €70-€100 and then the baking and icing would take about 1- 1.5 days, so if you take all that into consideration €300-400 is not that outrageous! Although I'd imagine a pro would probably do it all quicker than I do!!

I would absolutely agree with you regardless of flavours good quality ingredients are expensive whether it's a fruit cake or chocolate. Tins are another cost (if you haven't already gotten them). Some people just ice the fake "dummy" cakes for display and make cakes for guests to eat that are cut up "behind the scenes" so they don't have to worry about the stress of icing them etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

To be honest few people like the sugary icing on a cake, so it may even be better serving up un-iced-over cake. I've heard fake layers can be rented (presumably as long as you don't cut them), must be much cheaper for something that can be re-used again and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Going all out and getting a cheese wheel as the cake, cant wait..

Went to a wedding fair not too long ago, and some of the cakes were starting around €500

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Great idea if that's what you like. One of our friends did that and it still looked nice and we had cheese and crackers the next day :)

• Advertisement

Yeah that's what I was thinking, the cake normally doesn't get all eaten but with cheese (not just because I love it) but its so versatile haha toasties, nibbles, and mmm more toasties win win

• Registered Users Posts: 29 nigelmurphy9

Has anyone ever done the cake pops idea? Mini cakes on a stick?

Have just seen them in pictures but it would be lovely I would think. Spotted lots of different packs in Homestore and more the other day for making them. Would be something different and I would think they would all be eaten

• Registered Users Posts: 29 nigelmurphy9

Yeah, they can be pretty cool. I've seen them on stands in the shape of a tiered cake which fits in. We're thinking of going down this route as it'll be a little less formal and plenty of younger people and kids around

Advertisement