Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHP 5.3.10 on shared hosting

Options
  • 10-05-2014 1:54pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Joomla have recently since their 3.3 release made it a requirement for the webserver to have PHP 5.3.10 or higher installed as it offers better security. Joomla is quite a common CMS and I manage a few sites which use Joomla 3. See here for the requirements.
    306393.png
    Do you have any idea when PHP versions will be upgraded (currently on 5.3.3)? Or an option to switch them becomes available in the control panel

Cheers

Nick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Are you on Linux or Windows?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Blacknight wrote: »
    Are you on Linux or Windows?
    Many thanks for the response :). On Linux. pemlinweb121, pemlinweb55 are two of the servers but as I say I manage a few sites on blacknight, all Minimus ones seem to be on 5.3.3.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Yurple

Any answer on this?? I have a shared hosting package also and need 5.3.10+ to upgrade to the latest safest version but Blacknight does not have this php version.

This means Blacknight will as usual start deleting and putting the website offline without any notice because of "joomla security issues" but they make it so we cannot update.... please respond.

We are working with our Vendors to implement new shared hosting servers which will offer the latest version of PHP, in the interim our servers fully support Joomla 2.5 whish is supported by Joomla until the end of 2014.

We are aware of the impact of this and are working hard to put a long term solution in place, we will release further details in the coming days.

We are working with our Vendors to implement new shared hosting servers which will offer the latest version of PHP, in the interim our servers fully support Joomla 2.5 whish is supported by Joomla until the end of 2014.

We are aware of the impact of this and are working hard to put a long term solution in place, we will release further details in the coming days.
    Thanks for the update Alan. I migrated most of my websites to Joomla 3.  For people using Joomla 3 if they attempt to perform the automated update to 3.3 it will break the site on the current PHP version (not a Blacknight fault, Joomla should do these checks before unpacking the upgrade). I believe other CMS providers are also looking to only support later PHP versions for security reasons, it would be good if this could be sorted soon :)

Nick

• Advertisement

As Blacknight have disabled many of my clients websites before because of "joomla" issues, I purchased a security add on that SUPER PROTECTS the entire website... a fantastic add on and feel very safe... except it also auto-checks and updates to the latest version of joomla automatically...

Now that Blacknight does not have the latest PHP my website is a constant update loop. Do you have any time frame for the PHP update?? Thanks!

We are aiming to have a new platform available from the end of this month which will allow the latest versions of PHP. The platform has been built is currently in testing.

We are aiming to have a new platform available from the end of this month which will allow the latest versions of PHP. The platform has been built is currently in testing.
    Thanks for the update Alan!

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Please advise

Hi Alan, 

Do you still expect this to be available by the end of June? Thanks. 

• Advertisement

The latest version of MySQL should be available by the end of this week, the new hosting platform may take another 2 weeks.

Once we have more information on definite time lines I will update this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Utijogs

Hi AlanBlacknight

I assume it's PHP you meant and not MySQL.  Any ETA there as I have a customer I sent your way now waiting on her Joomla site due to no 5.3.10 and it's the end of the month.

Utijogs wrote: »
    Hi AlanBlacknight

I assume it's PHP you meant and not MySQL.  Any ETA there as I have a customer I sent your way now waiting on her Joomla site due to no 5.3.10 and it's the end of the month.
    I expect it will arrive next week given Alan's previous status. It's getting to the stage now where even Joomla addons (Kunena for one) need PHP 5.3+ to work.

Nick

MySQL 5.1.73 is now available on the current hosting plans.

We have made more progress this week with the new hosting platform testing, including adding IPv6. These web servers will allow several versions of php including 5.3, 5.4 and 5.5

We are still hoping to make them live late next week, however the migration process still requires more testing and will take a little longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Utijogs

Hi AlanBlacknight

Is there any ETA on the PHP upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Will this upgrade apply to all customers?

dmeehan wrote: »
    We're still working on migration tools internally
    If you want / need to move to the newer web servers etc.., please contact our support desk

If you want / need to move to the newer web servers etc.., please contact our support desk
    When does this roll out? Will migrations be automatic? I have a few websites hosted by you and it would be a pain manually asking for them all to be migrated

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    When does this roll out? Will migrations be automatic? I have a few websites hosted by you and it would be a pain manually asking for them all to be migrated

Nick
    Please contact our support team who will be able to advise

• Advertisement

yoyo wrote: »

Nick
    Please contact our support team who will be able to advise
    OK I'll get together blacknight account number details for all J3 websites I manage and send them on.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Any progress on that matter? I need set up Moodle on my shared server and I wish to use latest Moodle distribution which require PHP 5.4.4 (I have 5.3.3 now)?

zom wrote: »
    Any progress on that matter? I need set up Moodle on my shared server and I wish to use latest Moodle distribution which require PHP 5.4.4 (I have 5.3.3 now)?
    Zom
    If you contact our support team they'll be able to advise

HTH
    Michele

Zom

HTH
    Michele
    Does everybody need to contact support individually to get more information on a much needed update?

Yurple wrote: »
    Zom

HTH
    Michele
    Does everybody need to contact support individually to get more information on a much needed update?
    We don't have an automated way of moving people's sites onto the new cluster and while some people need to move due to PHP versions etc., a lot of people probably don't (for now)
    So if you do need to move due to versions etc., we're recommending you contact our support team to discuss your options
    HTH

Michele

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Ethan.Saaris

I am going to revive this thread and ask about ETAs for PHP 5.6 and MySQL at least 5.3. I just noticed register365 added PHP 7.0 RC3. I know it's pretty early now, but PHP 5.6 and MySQL 5.3 should be available on all hosting plans.

I have just transferred 4 sites from Hostgator to Blacknight and I found out I can't use utf8mb4 collation type for my WordPress sites, as is requires MySQL 5.3 (5.5 recommended).

Cheers!

I am going to revive this thread and ask about ETAs for PHP 5.6 and MySQL at least 5.3. I just noticed register365 added PHP 7.0 RC3. I know it's pretty early now, but PHP 5.6 and MySQL 5.3 should be available on all hosting plans.

I have just transferred 4 sites from Hostgator to Blacknight and I found out I can't use utf8mb4 collation type for my WordPress sites, as is requires MySQL 5.3 (5.5 recommended).

Cheers!
    I'll ask our technical team to respond to this thread - please bear with me

I've checked with our technical team and they passed this on to me:
    "MySQL: We have a plan to move all MySQL 5.0 and 5.1 servers to 5.5 in the future, we're awaiting vendor support. We thought that using CentOS SCL would let us do this easily, but it won't work in our environment. It's a Work In Progress.

PHP: We have 4.4 through to 5.5 on our Linux NG plans only. For reference we use the Cloudlinux alt-php php rpms for this, so when they support stuff we can add it. Adding 5.6 is trivial as it's already there, I'll task someone to do this so that it's available in a few days. I'm not comfortable adding in PHP 7.0 yet as customers will expect the same support as release versions."

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Ethan.Saaris

I've checked with our technical team and they passed this on to me:
    "MySQL: We have a plan to move all MySQL 5.0 and 5.1 servers to 5.5 in the future, we're awaiting vendor support. We thought that using CentOS SCL would let us do this easily, but it won't work in our environment. It's a Work In Progress.

PHP: We have 4.4 through to 5.5 on our Linux NG plans only. For reference we use the Cloudlinux alt-php php rpms for this, so when they support stuff we can add it. Adding 5.6 is trivial as it's already there, I'll task someone to do this so that it's available in a few days. I'm not comfortable adding in PHP 7.0 yet as customers will expect the same support as release versions."
    I totally agree with not adding PHP 7.0, but I'm glad to hear PHP 5.6 will be available in a few days.

Also, can you provide any reference link for the said vendor for MySQL 5.5? I'm sure they have a forum about this.

Cheers!

• Advertisement

The vendor is Odin http://www.odin.com/ - if you do contact them please specify that you are using our shared hosting - as we don't use Plesk, but Odin 

Advertisement