Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭clonagh

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 20 answerman12

What rations/pellets are lads using to finish lambs? Have been using Blue Ribbon finishing ration but have seen a new one recently, Nutrias Lamb Max Score pellet, any experience with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭razor8

What rations/pellets are lads using to finish lambs? Have been using Blue Ribbon finishing ration but have seen a new one recently, Nutrias Lamb Max Score pellet, any experience with this?

blue ribbon is very good for finishing but not cheap. what dont you like about blue ribbon?

razor8 wrote: »
    blue ribbon is very good for finishing but not cheap. what dont you like about blue ribbon?

Like you said, very good but costing me €370 pt. Can get this nutrias pellet for 330 pt and wouldn't mind trying a nut/pellet rather than ration.
    May just stick with the blue ribbon, even though it hits the already small margin. What's it costing you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

4.80 ICM Camolin. (All in)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Like you said, very good but costing me €370 pt.

I know it’s needed to get them out the gate, but is there any margin left for the farmer after that ? Paying €310 - €320 for decent nuts / rations here and wondering if I’m only working for the mill.

I know it’s needed to get them out the gate, but is there any margin left for the farmer after that ? Paying €310 - €320 for decent nuts / rations here and wondering if I’m only working for the mill.

Over the past 4 weeks I've finished about 30 lambs and was very happy with them between around 8 to 15 euro profit, these were suffolk crosses which I picked up in late August.
    I have another 30+ light cheviot cross lambs, which at the moment are weighing 38kg and have eaten 2/3 bags each already. Had intended to finish some next week but they won't be near fit, the margin isn't looking good with these lighter lambs at all..
    What's considered a good margin nowadays?

Over the past 4 weeks I've finished about 30 lambs and was very happy with them between around 8 to 15 euro profit, these were suffolk crosses which I picked up in late August.
    I have another 30+ light cheviot cross lambs, which at the moment are weighing 38kg and have eaten 2/3 bags each already. Had intended to finish some next week but they won't be near fit, the margin isn't looking good with these lighter lambs at all..

I’ll let the store lads answer that. I’m just feeding meal to get them out the door and gone now. With the year that’s been in it, don’t think there’s much if any margin there.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Young95

20 euro a head plus. Your lighter lambs probably should only be on grass alone till now so gonna be hard to get those 2 or 3 bags of meal back outa them plus to meal they need from now till finishing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭kk.man

Teagasc recon the cost of production of a lamb is 85e so if you sell at 100e there's the 15e margin. Of course you got to factor in meal and at a guess 5e per head. 20e net margin would be acceptable for the store man.

• Advertisement

Remember a year or two ago teagasc spoke about store lamb finishing. Said €240-€250 was enough to pay but no more then €280 for the rolls Royce of ingredients. Not so funny how that’s gone out the window while the end kg price stayed stagnant. The government has been very good at attracting in multinationals in nearly every other sector, pity they couldn’t do the same and create some competition for Larry and his friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭kk.man

Remember a year or two ago teagasc spoke about store lamb finishing. Said €240-€250 was enough to pay but no more then €280 for the rolls Royce of ingredients. Not so funny how that’s gone out the window while the end kg price stayed stagnant. The government has been very good at attracting in multinationals in nearly every other sector, pity they couldn’t do the same and create some competition for Larry and his friends.

Larry has total control of the fifth quarter. They would only toe the line.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Larry *is* the Government, or may as well be

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Bit off topic lads but what do ye use to tension yer sheep wire?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

mV3gTvkrUjKh2CuQfxpXCRQ.jpg
    we use an ancient puller similar to that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,096 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

i put one of these clamps on the sheep wire and pull it with the tractor, It works most places

https://www.spaldings.co.uk/livestock/steel-fence-strainer-clamp--1m

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

ganmo wrote: »
    mV3gTvkrUjKh2CuQfxpXCRQ.jpg
    we use an ancient puller similar to that one.

Going to try a Hayes strainer the next time we put up some wire.

I copied the video below and made a clamp for sheep wire with two pieces of timber planks and three bolts. The wire goes between the planks and the bolts tighten the planks together which obviously holds the wire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHxCqc9zj9k&frags=pl%2Cwn

I used a ratchet strap previously trying to pull the planks but it wasn't a great job (probably inexperience and lack of patience on m part!)

You could also pull the wire by tying it onto a stake (or plank of timber) and then pulling the stake with a tractor.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

I use gripples and accompanying strainer.

Thanks for the replies,gripples are handy but the strainer gun is pricey plus the cost of the gripples, I ordered a Hayes strainer look alike last night and will try the wooden clamp with bolts, if it works out might invest something similar to what you mentioned wrangler.

Also going investing in creosote stakes next week, anyone have experience with them or know good suppliers? Any experience with this agriknives buck https://www.donedeal.ie/fencingequipment-for-sale/new-creosote-stakes-for-40-50-yrs/15252860

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Thanks for the replies,gripples are handy but the strainer gun is pricey plus the cost of the gripples, I ordered a Hayes strainer look alike last night and will try the wooden clamp with bolts, if it works out might invest something similar to what you mentioned wrangler.

Also going investing in creosote stakes next week, anyone have experience with them or know good suppliers? Any experience with this agriknives buck https://www.donedeal.ie/fencingequipment-for-sale/new-creosote-stakes-for-40-50-yrs/15252860

Think I said it before but a piece of angle iron approx. 3 ft long with 8 holes drilled in it to correspond with bars on sheepwire.Weld on an eye for tow chain etc and pull with tractor or pullers.
    Gripples hold the wire on angle iron and are reusable.No need for a gripple puller if doing this and most rolls of sheepwire come with a set of gripples.
    Total cost is zero if you have any scrap iron lying around.Take about half an hour to make.
    Works the finest.Have one here for years and pulled countless lots of wire.Gripple will hold 3/400 m of sheepwire when pulled with tractor no bother at all.
    Have a set of clamps like Wrangler posted with 2 long chains and two Hayes type pullers that came with them.Use it when its not possible to pull top either end of fence.Staple and tie wire both ends,cut in the middle and pull to centre.Use gripple pullers to take up slack between clamps.Works a treat but a wee bit slower than pulling with tractor.

• Advertisement

Any factory prices for this week ?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭jd06

48 kg 99 euro
    42 my 93 euro
    No meal, , grass fed

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭early_riser

Any factory prices for this week ?

Killed lambs monday, got 4.75 all in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Sami23

Killed lambs monday, got 4.75 all in

What weight are the factories paying up to now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭early_riser

Sami23 wrote: »
    What weight are the factories paying up to now ?

22kg

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sheepfarmer92

4.90 got for Monday in icm navan

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

Anyone know what ewe lambs 50 -57 kg are making? I've a good few savages of lambs that I don't want to factory, they are grey, brown and black face lambs also .

farming93 wrote: »
    Anyone know what ewe lambs 50 -57 kg are making? I've a good few savages of lambs that I don't want to factory, they are grey, brown and black face lambs also .

Was in roscrea mart yesterday. From what things were making yesterday, I’m guessing €106 max, as long as their good fleshy lowland sheep. Less for anything hilly

Edit, doesn’t seem much farmer interest for anything

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

Them prices would sicken you , think ill factory them at that rate , it'll save me spending a day in the mart.

• Advertisement

farming93 wrote: »
    Them prices would sicken you , think ill factory them at that rate , it'll save me spending a day in the mart.

“Fodder” or lack of, is whats dictating what lads are keeping this winter. Don’t know anyone who’s expanding numbers. Most are trying to slim it down as much as possible, due to having the cr*p knocked out of us all year long.

Advertisement