Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boko Haram Kidnapping - Did boys not matter ?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Candie wrote: »
    Does any reasonable person consider these measured and proportionate comments
    How nice of you (a female) to tell him how he should feel. Deep-throat (opinion) much?

There has been a rash of recent media campaigns for battered/abused women recently which have either delibertly or nievely targeted or labelled "men", as in all men, and not some men. Perhaps your friends and relatives avoid media? Or are Amish? Or simply don't care when media chooses to tar whole groups negativity for the actions of a time minority?

Zulu wrote: »
    How nice of you (a female) to tell him how he should feel. Deep-throat (opinion) much?

There has been a rash of recent media campaigns for battered/abused women recently which have either delibertly or nievely targeted or labelled "men", as in all men, and not some men. Perhaps your friends and relatives avoid media? Or are Amish? Or simply don't care when media chooses to tar whole groups negativity for the actions of a time minority?

I'm not telling him how to feel, I'm expressing my opinion. It's very clear how he feels.

My relatives and friends also don't need to be told what they should be feeling, Amish or not - pointless petty dig as that was.

I guess it's all down to one's personal bias and interpretation, something that goes both ways and affects everyone. Even you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Candie wrote: »
    Amish or not - pointless petty dig...
    how is being Amish a dig?
    Clearly we all are biased, some more so than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭valor rorghulis

Its been touched on already but media really just works on what people respond to.

If you started a hashtag campaign about boy soldiers being slaughtered it just wouldn't get as many shares/likes/tags etc. Thats why we aren't seeing them

So blaming the people involved in this campaign for not giving equal time to boys is missing the point. Its like saying people who raise money for ashthma sufferers should spend equal time raising money for every other condition.

Its a problem with society as a whole. We're not egalitarian when it comes to people in need, and for whatever reason we respond more as a society to females under threat of physical or emotional harm. We should therefore be pointing the finger at society as a whole, and not the people raising awareness about girls under threat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

I think it's a fair point that there's less focus on boys, but I don't know at all that people wouldn't care if there was an awareness campaign highlighting what has happened to boys. Who wouldn't care? I don't know anyone who wouldn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

Piliger wrote: »
    The recent appalling kidnapping and claimed selling of 200 girls is an evil and stunning piece of evil. It is documented in Nigeria that all previous kidnapped girls have been gang raped.

However I thing it is a fair question to ask why now ? Why this global outrage now ?

boko Haram has been slaughtering children for years. Hundreds of them. But almost all of them have been boys.

It seems that slaughtered buys don't count for much. Not a major media outlet but a very valid article think. And one that men should pay attention to.

It's not like that.

There are groups slaughtered every day.

It is not just about this incident but this GROUP of militants that needs attention because they are responsible for a series of horrific events.

The duty of the media should be also to bring attention to this group.

The number is high ...and it is an unusual story. Killing is usual, sadly.

Boka Harem are a recognisable and growing threat to the stability of Nigeria and will draw other terrorists to the wider area.Terrorists, unfortunately are not to be negotiated with and Nigeria has clearly asked for help in dealing with this issue.

There are also European countries offering their expertise. It's not coincidental.

It would not be difficult to find that story for anyone who wanted to. The reason you found it though is interesting not because you are interested in the event...but because of the angle you took. It has to appeal to MRA sense of injustice for it to matter boys in Nigeria were slaughtered if you want to look at it that way. Nigeria is hardly a country were feminism has conquered.

Your obsession with western gender issues over this events is telling.

The boys unfortunately are dead. The girls are possible still out there and can be rescued that should be the main issue not your strange political gender fetishes. They can still feel pain.

There is something that can be done for these girls and so harnessing the media can have purpose.

Terrorists, unfortunately are not to be negotiated with and Nigeria has clearly asked for help in dealing with this issue.

To complain that a story about boys did not seem to get as much coverage is an admittance from you that you only read it because it aligned with your grievance and not for the tragedy itself. If it had been a mixed group would you have read it and forgotten.

And I am sure it did get read ...from people who read news. And it did get coverage in African countries.

Anything that puts pressure on powers that be to stop this group is good.

Would we have this thread if it were a mixed group slaughtered? Or if a mixed group of children had been kidnapped ?? Shudders...I wonder what the media would have done if a mixed group of children had gone missing....that helps no ones agenda ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Piliger wrote: »
    How on earth would you know anything about me ? And what evidence do you have to make that kind of accusation ?

I'm simply reacting to your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,289 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I think it's true that there is less made of it when the story is about boys that have been murdered.

Slightly off topic but does it genuinely make someone sit up and take notice when they hear of another young man who has been the victim of and assault which either seriously hurt or killed him?

Not as much as if it was a woman who was kicked to death in a street assault IMO.

And why is this?

It's because it happens to young men on nights out every weekend.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Thread closed temporarily for review.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

After discussions with the mod team we are closing this thread. The volume of personal attacks, whataboutery and dismissal of opposing points of view has made any civilised debate on the topic raised in the OP impossible.

Where there are posts containing personal abuse or that go against the charter please report them for the mods to deal with rather than responding to them on thread.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement