Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunset Overdrive

Options
  • 08-05-2014 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭

There was footage of this but it got pulled, few gifs floating about.

Could this be a system seller for Xbox1? Looking forward to seeing more at E3. It reminds me a bit of Jet Set Radio, some Bioshock too.

i89vmAdx7slz1.gif

iCKf4dtUTslfo.gif

imgSmYfEZDr9x.gif

ibiiIUstQCYBTw.gif

ibikrjJY0K8EEB.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Looks like a mix between Tony Hawk and inFAMOUS. Certainly interesting but Insomniac will need to prove it to me after some lacklustre releases recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Otacon wrote: »
    Looks like a mix between Tony Hawk and inFAMOUS. Certainly interesting but Insomniac will need to prove it to me after some lacklustre releases recently.

Tony Hawk immediately sprang to mind and an old PS2 favorite of mine aggressive inline and a few other games .

Has my interest, hopefully it won't be too far away as if I recall it was shown during the One reveal last year.

Edit: Those gifs surely are not a a true representation of the graphics, lower res and a bit grainy but even at that the game still looks very visually impressive so can't wait to set it run at max res on video.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

That'll be one knocked off my E3 Wishlist so! :)

It's the kind of game which if bundled with the console and a decent price (350-400euro) would have me interested in picking one up.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Looks like fun colourful game. Is it system seller? Nope.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I love how vibrant the art style is - refreshing to see developers embracing the whole colour spectrum so enthusiastically!

Gameplay clips are a bit... underwhelming. It looks like fun, no doubt, but with Just Cause / Infamous / Saints Row / Dead Rising I have to confess I'm not all that enthused by open world 'cartoon chaos simulators' anymore. I tend to find these sorts of games fall apart when it comes to mission design and stuff to do other than just messing around attacking mobs of cannon fodder - which is fine, I guess, but holds limited appeal after the first hour or two! Naturally it's far too easy to call if this will be a victim of that curse, but for such a vibrant game that boasts of blistering forward momentum there's something oddly muted and sluggish about that first video. Will wait and see how it turns out though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I love how vibrant the art style is - refreshing to see developers embracing the whole colour spectrum so enthusiastically!

Gameplay clips are a bit... underwhelming. It looks like fun, no doubt, but with Just Cause / Infamous / Saints Row / Dead Rising I have to confess I'm not all that enthused by open world 'cartoon chaos simulators' anymore. I tend to find these sorts of games fall apart when it comes to mission design and stuff to do other than just messing around attacking mobs of cannon fodder - which is fine, I guess, but holds limited appeal after the first hour or two! Naturally it's far too easy to call if this will be a victim of that curse, but for such a vibrant game that boasts of blistering forward momentum there's something oddly muted and sluggish about that first video. Will wait and see how it turns out though :)

Hmmmmmm Ok after seeing that it does indeed look pretty but it set all kinds of alarm bells ringing and instead of recalling Tony Hawk and others I mentioned earlier, I immediately thought Dead Rising 3 and Crack Down in terms of looks and how some of it play, 2 which most certainly fall victim to the curse you mention. Many hold crackdown in high regard but the 2nd game was the same set of objectives repeated 5 times and this looks to have the same kind of factions vibe to it and Dead Rising 3 while it had its fun did get a little boring.

Far to early to write this off by any means but I've taken my enthusiasm down a notch or 2

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I would take another Ratchet and Clank over this. Just saying...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Looks like Dead Rising 3 vs Left 4 Dead vs Jet Set Radio.

Looks fun basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Really, really looking forward to this. In an alternate universe where Sega are getting ready to release the Dreamcast 3, this could be the system selling launch title.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I watched the 'reviewers video' that was posted on a few sites over the last couple of days, and it highlighted two things that would turn me off the game: the game's cringey 'attitude' and generally obnoxious humour, and the confirmation that there's several different types of silly collectibles (shoes, balloons etc...).

Insomniac have almost definitely got the visuals and basic mechanics down by the looks of it - looks and hopefully plays well. I hope they have actually built worthwhile content around them that makes the most out of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Well this does not make me want to own an X-Box One, and TBH, even if I did own one, I don't think I'd buy this. It looks all sorts of terrible gameplay wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

It looks garbage, too slow or something. No idea who the game is aimed at

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

RasTa wrote: »
    No idea who the game is aimed at

Yeah, well put, me neither

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Can anyone sum up what the hell this game is?
    I genuinely have no idea?

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Can anyone sum up what the hell this game is?
    I genuinely have no idea?
    Infamous meets Crackdown with the original art style and tone of Overstrike that Insomniac abandoned in favour of FUSE and crossed with some of the zaniness of Ratchet & Clank.

I don't own an XBox One nor intend buying one for it but it's definitely one of the more interesting exclusives available on either of the big platforms imo. Whether they can pull off the fun that the reviewers above claim to be missing, on the other hand, remains to be seen.

gizmo wrote: »
    Infamous meets Crackdown with the original art style and tone of Overstrike that Insomniac abandoned in favour of FUSE and crossed with some of the zaniness of Ratchet & Clank.

I don't own an XBox One nor intend buying one for it but it's definitely one of the more interesting exclusives available on either of the big platforms imo. Whether they can pull off the fun that the reviewers above claim to be missing, on the other hand, remains to be seen.

Sounds interesting alright, I have to say.

As an xbox one owner, should it be on my radar?
    Guy I know with an x1 also, has this pre-ordered on amazon and is looking forward to it, but I have to say that it hasn't registered with me yet.

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Sounds interesting alright, I have to say.

As an xbox one owner, should it be on my radar?
    Guy I know with an x1 also, has this pre-ordered on amazon and is looking forward to it, but I have to say that it hasn't registered with me yet.
    It was certainly one of the standouts from their first batch of exclusives in my opinion, primarily for the reasons I've listed above. I wouldn't be pre-ordering it though, wait to see how the reviews pan out before making your mind up. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

it's not going to sell systems. it's alright, but its main strength is its self aware humour. the gameplay is just too fiddly. it's trying to write cheques its mechanics can't cash

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

COYVB wrote: »
    it's not going to sell systems. it's alright, but its main strength is its self aware humour. the gameplay is just too fiddly. it's trying to write cheques its mechanics can't cash

I dunno, the humor sees like its trying too hard to me. It might get on my nerves after a bit. I'm interested, but not sold on it just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Looks a bit like Prototype meets Looney Tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Cnt wait to play it :) looks like abit of fun on a dull day :D

Are we allowed to post youtube walkthroughs here?
    I found one for this game.

Or a better question might be, does anyone have any interest in see it?

8/10 from eurogamer and 9/10 from ign.

A round up of some of the reviews

GamesRadar: 4/5 - You've never explored an open world quite like this. Sunset Overdrive's iffy gunplay and inconsistent missions are redeemed by absolutely amazing mobility and an infectious enthusiasm for mayhem.

Joystiq: 5/5 - Each of the game's systems feeds into another, making the experience feel complete and purposeful. More importantly, it gives players a plethora of choices in how they look, what weapon they use and how they play, and then makes every single possible combination feel vindicated.

Eurogamer: 8/10 - Beneath the glorious tech, and once the writing relaxes a little, Sunset Overdrive's wonderfully lurid and heartfelt - a bit like playing an old 4AD album sleeve. If you get that reference, you'll probably get this, too.

IGN: 9/10 - Sunset Overdrive is big, gorgeous, and a hell of a lot of fun. Never has getting from point A to point B in an open-world game provided so much enjoyment. It provides some of the most fun, frantic, and fantastic gaming I've had on the Xbox One.

VideoGamer: 6/10 - Sunset Overdrive's campaign may be disappointing, but its multiplayer offers a glimpse of how a potential sequel could fulfil its largely-squandered promise.

GameSpot: 8/10 - You can compare it to games like Crackdown, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, and Ratchet and Clank, but by combining the best elements of those games into a single package and injecting it with an anything goes, rock and roll attitude, you'll never think of it as anything but a singular achievement that stands tall on its own merits.

Polygon: 9/10 - The best thing about Sunset Overdrive is how it's unabashedly enthusiastic about what it is, in just about every way. That enthusiasm, and the freedom behind it, is contagious.

Metro: 7/10 - Shallow, simplistic, and never quite as funny as it thinks it is, but there's still more energy and imagination at work here than most other new next gen franchises.

Game Informer: 9.25/10 - Outside of the mission monotony, Sunset Overdrive is an immensely rewarding experience that has a look and style all its own and a great gameplay package to complement it. It's a colorful return to form for Insomniac games, and a hell of an exclusive for Xbox One.

Destructoid: 8.5/10 - Sunset Overdrive may have a few flaws inherent to many open-world games and lack an engaging narrative, but it's an incredibly fun, vibrant game that's a nice break from the overly gritty tone we see far too often in today's market. After Fuse, this is exactly what Insomniac Games needed.

VentureBeat: 85/100 - The look, feel, and sound won me over. Forgiving the mission structure and forgetting the tower-defense junk, this is pretty much what I would expect from an action shooter for this console generation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Wow. Lots of underserved overscores there

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

they even read as being more negative than positive, the gamesradar one especially

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

You've never explored an open world quite like this. Sunset Overdrive's iffy gunplay and inconsistent missions are redeemed by absolutely amazing mobility and an infectious enthusiasm for mayhem.

Sounds like every GTA game!

Advertisement