Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Milky1

My contract is up soon, rang to cancel last week. I was on 9 months half price/3 months full (€64). Told them I was going to Siro/Vodafone for €30 a month for 12 months. They gave me half price for 9 months €36.50, €71 for last 3, upgrade to 500MB ( i was on 360MB, don't really need upgrade). But they also gave me €10 off my mobile I have with them for 6 months. I also asked for modem upgrade which they gave me for free also.
    Note - net again big increase in base price €64 -> €71

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Milky can I ask what number you rang, I was told last week no more 1/2 price deals at all that it came down from on high

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Milky1

just rang the 1908 number. Maybe new deals for October or something.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Milky1 wrote: »
    just rang the 1908 number. Maybe new deals for October or something.

Cool will try again!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Just called there and got the 250mb Broadband for €30pm for 9 months and €60 for the remaining 3. Tried to get the VM 360 with 500mb broadband at the new customer price but they also said there was an €80 connection charge for it on top of the €81 per month price. They wouldnt wave it which I think is ridiculous!!!!

Id rather spend the difference on Now TV and Netflix anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

pc7 wrote: »
    Milky can I ask what number you rang, I was told last week no more 1/2 price deals at all that it came down from on high

No more deals until they realise how many people are leaving them.
    They might change their minds then.

okidoki987 wrote: »
    No more deals until they realise how many people are leaving them.
    They might change their minds then.

I’m going to try again tomorrow, If they don’t I’m just going to risk Vodafone

I’m going to try again tomorrow, If they don’t I’m just going to risk Vodafone

Good luck.
    Don't forget the 14 day cancellation window when Vodafone is installed to see if it's what you want/need.

Beyond seriously pissed off at this stage, got through told absolutely no one is getting 9 month deals, I said there are 2 on boards who have since I was told no. I've asked it to be escalated and I want to be called over this, 13 years with them, absolutely no loyalty whatsoever and it turns out the 'free' new modem I was told in the call for just going BB only is not in the order so that was BS too. I'll see what they've to say then I'll just go to vodafone if I don't get a deal like others here are. The have to be the worst in terms of customer support I've ever had the misfortune to deal with (outside of Ryanair, there's a special place in hell for their CS!).

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭extrapolate

I just got a 9 month deal myself, I think it depends on who picks up the phone.

• Advertisement

I just got a 9 month deal myself, I think it depends on who picks up the phone.

Ah stop!!! They told me if an agent is they won't be working there next week! :eek: that its come from up on high!

Ah stop!!! They told me if an agent is they won't be working there next week! :eek: that its come from up on high!

They change their responses to suit them.
    As extrapolate said, depends on who picks up the phone.
    Cancellations/customer retention. whatever they call it nowadays is the only place for best and final offers.
    The first person you get only has a certain number of offers to keep you, cancellations are higher up on the food chain and have better offers.
    Only problem is they now keep a record of all your offers so when you call up, they can see what you were previously offered which isn't great if you only rang up 2 days previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Got PM of someone asking about vodafone so my 2c on general getting connected and speeds experience for now.

Got connected to siro, via vodafone. as guessed they don't do custom install where to place AP so its basically at the hallway besides entrance, siro came over and routed cables via same underground ducting as VM use few days back, and today some company that starts with letter A on their van brought up modem and drilled the holes on the back wall, smth to do with esb regs was told, but imagine more to like finish job as fast as possible as placement is concerned.
    total about a weeks wait and 20min job to put in siro box and connect router- as expected it might be in range of 2-3 weeks but seems everything in place now to get connected fast.

that said still not getting full speed stuck around 500mb on wired, and was told there will be few resets over 24hours and full speeds of 1gb should kick in.

But thats not an important thing as change was purely cost related to me to move away from VM prices.

now probably expressed this quite few times about knowing that router will sit downstairs where only mobiles are used as all pc's laptops are on second floor and attic room and everything's over wifi.
    as house is fairly thick with plenty interference's.

as got almost month left now im on 2 active BB's so ran few speed tests and results are quite good given vodafone gigabox sits downstairs making it about double if not more distance from VM hub.

so on my main pc speeds used over wifi speeds on virgin media would be
    in 70-55 range with ping of 12ms or higher
    on Vodafone its hitting over 80-110 mb and ping is 5-6ms

attic seems to have biggest improvement over VM, as it used to be around 10mb give or take 5, now its in the region of 30mb only downside is ping of 30+ms and thats on 2.4ghz where second floor would be tested/used on 5ghz band.

so all in comparing wifi speeds seems VF router is able to pull extra weight and has stronger signal, as far as speeds go i was used for years to have average 4-7mb download's and never caused any major issues, been a long time since moved on from doing large torrents etc.

so cost wise this works out to be 480e for a year, VM gave me 6mo offer, as had 9mo prior so no budging to get any better and would of cost 630e if sticking with them.

now of course could picked option for 30e a month on 500mb plan and that would cut the price even further to 360e a year, and doubt if would notice any difference ever, as next steps are to get some sort of wifi mesh bundle once theres decent deals on and few network cards def need upgrading as they arent really performance ones.

for now sorted for the year so will see how will general uptime experience will be and dunno if VF has anything like VM with offers but can always jump now to likes of Sky digiweb etc when it will come to getting better deals.

Guess to sum it up all of the above if one uses wifi mostly at home and your pulling around 100mb, its def worth a change or to shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I might have to go cap in hand to Virgin for some cancelation deals after Vodafone have well and truly ****ed up my Siro order. Almost 4 weeks since it's been installed by the engineers and still not working. Daily calls to them and each time promised it's only going to take 24 hours to fix.

Notice period with Virgin ends next Tuesday with Virgin. What's the best I could hope for in terms of a broadband only deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

AdMMM wrote: »
    I might have to go cap in hand to Virgin for some cancelation deals after Vodafone have well and truly ****ed up my Siro order. Almost 4 weeks since it's been installed by the engineers and still not working. Daily calls to them and each time promised it's only going to take 24 hours to fix.

Notice period with Virgin ends next Tuesday with Virgin. What's the best I could hope for in terms of a broadband only deal?
    that was my reason to order VF month in advance as know someone who waited like 6 weeks give or take until right engineer was sent and did it properly in few minutes, even thou was long time ago now.

as for going back id say they will be fairly happy, should offer 3-6 mo depending on who you get on the phone, can always negotiate some bump in speed or drop add other bundles, just make sure they actually log your request, as my experience last year was getting call back with great offer, that wasnt communicated and was disconnected on the date, so had to go back on new contract get my original deal sent in etc, even thou it was just matter of plugging cable back in at their end of HQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Or go back under a new name to get the new subscribers deal

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Would new subscribers deals always be better than retention offers?

They seem to be.
    Or go back under a new name to get the new subscribers deal

Would have to wait for a new router though.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭garyskeepers

There is no such thing as customer loyalty. I have been with Virgin YEARS and they basically told me to F U C K off last week when I asked for a better deal.

I asked them how was it an "upgrade" when its exactly the same deal as a new member would get and they scoffed and said, well that's the way it is.

Everyone should change EVERY time,

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Everyone should change EVERY time,

unfortunately not everyone has the option to change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭brophs

Called up about my Naked Broadband account and the most they'd offer was 6 months at half price so I went through with the cancellation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Wife signed up as new customer last year with the free sky movies bundle. Think it was €69 per month, and we had 1 multiroom box. Didnt realise the year was over until the bill came in for €120 this month.
    Rang up and best they will offer is €76 per month (with the sky movies €20 and the multiroom €11 removed).
    But the loyalty offer is the price wont increase after the 1 year is up like it does for new customers, except for their yearly increases.
    Told her to go ahead with the cancellation.

Not sure who to go with or just go as a new customer again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 199 ✭✭Morries Wigs

what speeds should you be getting when your on Limitless 360Mb-city based

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

what speeds should you be getting when your on Limitless 360Mb-city based

cheers

On a wired connection, you should get the advertised speed or very close to it. Wireless speeds vary because there are potential local factors (thick walls, poor router placement, interference etc.).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

brophs wrote: »
    Called up about my Naked Broadband account and the most they'd offer was 6 months at half price so I went through with the cancellation.

That's not to bad of a deal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Just renewed with vodafone at 25 for full year !! Better than 25 for 6 months last year ! Not a single issue for last 11 months !! Slower speed of 80 but more than enough even working remotely.

How did you get that offer? I’m out of contract shortly and looking for a renewal deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Lambada Crazy

Hi,

I was on a current offer of 49.50 for 10 months and 99e for the last two months with VM, 500mb broadband, tv and phone. I called today to ask about renewal deals as I have SIRO available. I was told SIRO was slow and VM was the fastest. I was offered 49.50 for 9 months this time and 99 for the remaining three?

Anyone get anything better? They quoted SIRO fair usage policy of 1TB download per month and said VM doesnt have a limit. I checked and Digiweb SIRO is 2tB.

Anyone else any better luck?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I’d say it was a 9 month deal you had previously, I’ve never heard of a 10 month deal, anyway if you’ve been offered another 9 month deal, then take the hand off them. That’s the biggest deal that’s currently available. I have heard of the odd person getting a 12 month deal, but generally theses are reserved for long time customers who have never had a deal and also takes all 3 services.

Hi,
    I was told SIRO was slow and VM was the fastest.

There's a shock :eek:. more rubbish by VM reps.
    They quoted SIRO fair usage policy of 1TB download per month and said VM doesnt have a limit.

I wouldn't believe a word any VM rep says.
    Last time I talked to them, I was told there were no offers available so I told them to check out boards as people on there were saying they were getting offers and was told that they don't have access to the Internet!
    I was told by someone who worked there for a while that they check this thread all the time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭sharpish

I got 15euro off for 9 months, currently 59euro a month naked broadband250, took 15minutes on hold and 2 minutes to do the deal.

Advertisement