Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AJB39

iseegirls wrote: »
    Oddly, Virgin Media One are not showing This Morning from Thursday 17th December. This includes the repeat on VM3. Repeats of May the Best House Win and Corrie special repeat instead. Will it be disappearing again for the second time in a year.
    This Morning is taking a two week Christmas break and will not be on ITV or Virgin Media One during the Christmas fortnight except for Christmas Day when it will be on both stations for a Christmas special at 10 am. It is on air on ITV on the 17th and 18th. I suspect Virgin Media One will show it on these two days even though the current schedule says they won’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Listings have This Morning back in on the Thursday and Friday. Normal service resuming so. Still makes no sense for them to publish listings with that change in it a few days ago.

A music show on Virgin Media??!! Surely not?
    Presented by Dave Fanning??!! Couldn't be?!
    They're showing a music show instead of a repeat of Charles: 50 Years A Prince?! This must be a mistake

https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/6292280/rte-dave-fanning-music-show-virgin-media-whelans/

They seemed to have been very quiet about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Big Brexit News on Christmas Eve and Virgin Media News is on a Christmas break.

Ah sure Just watch Rte instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

mikeym wrote: »

Haha, I was thinking the same myself. Red rock on again instead of the news Xmas eve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Maz2016 wrote: »
    Haha, I was thinking the same myself. Red rock on again instead of the news Xmas eve.

Did they always have news on St. Stephen's Day? :pac:

Happy Christmas everyone.

I think they should just ditch WWTBAM. Christmas Episodes not available on any VMT channels..

Wycliffe starting on VM3 in the new year. 1993 was the first episode. They're also showing Cracker, Heartbeat, The Royal, The Chase from 4 years ago repeats amongst others. Inspiring scheduling as ever. They may as well just shut down the channel and place itv3 and itv4 in those positions.

iseegirls wrote: »
    Wycliffe starting on VM3 in the new year. 1993 was the first episode. They're also showing Cracker, Heartbeat, The Royal, The Chase from 4 years ago repeats amongst others. Inspiring scheduling as ever. They may as well just shut down the channel and place itv3 and itv4 in those positions.

I no prob with this type of show on VM3 but to air much the same on VM2 & 1 prevents channel identity.

ITV channels are far better marketed, I'd much rather see them takeover and replace VM2 & 3 with itv2 & 3 or even 4 & be!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Elmo wrote: »
    I no prob with this type of show on VM3 but to air much the same on VM2 & 1 prevents channel identity.

ITV channels are far better marketed, I'd much rather see them takeover and replace VM2 & 3 with itv2 & 3 or even 4 & be!

With Brexit already resulting in removal of a number of UK radio stations from ROI Sky EPG highly unlikely ITV channels will come to Saorview.

• Advertisement

With Brexit already resulting in removal of a number of UK radio stations from ROI Sky EPG highly unlikely ITV channels will come to Saorview.

I am suggesting that ITV takeover Virgin Media Television, making

VMT ONE - ITV
    VMT TWO - ITV2 or ITVbe
    VMT THREE - ITV3 or ITV4
    VMT Player - ITV Hub

as the all seem to have some thought put into their marketing and planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

mikeym wrote: »

What the hell are Virgin Media News at..?? Have they all gone on strike.? From daily news channel to no news the last 5 days or so..

They've already been off the air for the Brexit Xmas Eve deal. Farcical set up..

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

UsBus wrote: »
    What the hell are Virgin Media News at..?? Have they all gone on strike.? From daily news channel to no news the last 5 days or so..

They've already been off the air for the Brexit Xmas Eve deal. Farcical set up..

I tuned in half an hour ago expecting a 5.30 news briefing. Surprised there was none.

Wouldn’t kill them to even do a 10-15 minute bulletin It’s just crap service not having it

Maz2016 wrote: »
    Wouldn’t kill them to even do a 10-15 minute bulletin It’s just crap service not having it

But they had their normal St Stephen's Day News at 5:30 didn't they, right?

I’m 99% sure they didn’t

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Looking back on Digiguide, it looks like they had 5 Gold Rings on instead.

Their reporters are too interested in posting on Twitter now, trying to outdo each other constantly and post the wittiest covid updates. Building a Twitter following to fast track their celebrity status.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,270 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Their reporters are too interested in posting on Twitter now, trying to outdo each other constantly and post the wittiest covid updates. Building a Twitter following to fast track their celebrity status.

In reality it looks like their reporters who are on twitter (who are all consistently good reporters) are also on holiday. They don't have any backups...

Will they return today, as looks like more restrictions will be announced today? You'd think they would.

I see that the highest rated show for RTE over Christmas was their news on Christmas Eve. Where was VM's News that day? Oh right, news doesn't exist until the 4th January 2021.

Few other bits for the New Year - they'll be showing 3 episodes of Judge Judy daily now on VM1. Meaning there will be 3 different shows between 1 and 5.30 - The Chase, Elaine and Judge Judy. Its definitely not a sign that they're running out of things to show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

This is a ridiculous post. The reporters can’t just decide to turn up for work and broadcast the news

It’s clear the bosses put them on holiday. I’d guess to cut production costs but either way, to suggest they should stay off twitter while not in work is bizarre

• Registered Users Posts: 10,270 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The thing that I'm amazed at by now is that people posting here don't realise that tv3 management and subsequently virgin media management (same people?) are happy to have a crappy quality station, as long as it makes money. So if they think showing old episodes of the chase and randomly placing judge Judy all over the schedule will make them money, they'll do it.

Quality television is not their target.

Dodge wrote: »
    This is a ridiculous post. The reporters can’t just decide to turn up for work and broadcast the news

It’s clear the bosses put them on holiday. I’d guess to cut production costs but either way, to suggest they should stay off twitter while not in work is bizarre

Wrong. Read the post again. I didn't suggest they turn up, I said they are too interested in Twitter broadcasting.

Either way, piss poor management to not have a scheduled rota for news bulletins over the break. They are the big losers anyway. They will be off air for the second upcoming announcement this evening. At least they will have all the dolly birds back on air next year for the soap opera style reporting from the criminal courts...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Yesterday we had the rollout of the vaccine in Ireland and today we had news on tighter restrictions.

Meanwhile theres no news coverage on Virgin Media.

Virgin Media are a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Wrong. Read the post again. I didn't suggest they turn up, I said they are too interested in Twitter broadcasting.

It’s still a pathetic post. The reporters don’t get to choose when news is broadcast

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Leonita

They really don't care about viewers. For example Corrie was shown at 7.30 on ITV whereas Virgin didn't start until 8.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

UsBus, Dodge, be nice to each other please.

dulpit wrote: »
    The thing that I'm amazed at by now is that people posting here don't realise that tv3 management and subsequently virgin media management (same people?) are happy to have a crappy quality station, as long as it makes mone...

Largely different management now, I think Virgin Media Television CEO was formerly a commercial manager in Virgin Media/UPC Ireland, I think I mentioned he seems to be a business person.

The former head of RTÉ2 is now head of content, while the former head of UTV Ireland News/Ireland LIVE is now VMTV's head of news.

Leonita wrote: »
    They really don't care about viewers. For example Corrie was shown at 7.30 on ITV whereas Virgin didn't start until 8.

I suppose they don't have to competition any more so they can afford to push the soaps around a bit.

This type of scheduling would have been all over the papers if it was UTV Ireland, no WWTBAM Christmas specials and new ITV dramas largely all over the place.

• Advertisement

There is just such a huge reliance on ITV to populate their schedule. You can look at the schedule upcoming on Monday and count the non-itv programmes on VM2 and VM3 on one hand. I'd be embarrassed if I'm associated with putting together that schedule.

Did none of the news crew raise any concerns about closing the news output for 11 days? They've been harping on about being the 1st place for breaking news etc.. yet we've seen with Xmas eve Brexit, and Michael Martins live announcements, that VM were nowhere to be seen.

Advertisement