Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Turning Itself Off

Options
  • 06-05-2014 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

Twice recently my 710 has turned itself off mid cycle. Thought it was battery but turned it back on and it stayed on for remainder of cycle with lots of juice left at the end.

Anyway else seen this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Garmin 705 or Garmin 810?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Twice recently my 710 has turned itself off mid cycle. Thought it was battery but turned it back on and it stayed on for remainder of cycle with lots of juice left at the end.

Anyway else seen this ?
    Did you definitely press start?
    If you turn your garmin on but don't press start within 10 mins (I think) it will power off.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Happens my 705 every now and then. Not so often that it bothers me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Has happened my 705 the odd time too, and my wife's 500 has done the same. It has happened to me when using the Garmin to navigate a course/previous ride, but I think it has happened at other times too, but very rarely all in all. Very annoying when it does happen though.

One thing that I took to doing with my Garmin some time back was deleting all rides older than a month, from the device itself. That resolved an issue it had at the time of running out of space (the limit was a software restriction rather than a hardware one, so not obvious), but I've seen deleting old stuff suggested online for a bunch of issues with the Garmins. I don't recall whether my 705 has turned itself off since I started doing that, but it may be worth trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Yes wrote 710 but meant 705. Start was on, was keeping track of data and it was well into cycle when it switched off.

Perhaps somehow due to a bumpy section of road. It is only twice it has happened in a lot of spins. First time I thought I may have brushed off the power switch with my hand but second time saw it power off as I was looking at it.

• Advertisement

At least if you catch it and switch it on quickly it continues from where it left rather than starting a new ride

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

When being used to navigate they can crash if you have downloaded a large file.

Last time it happened I was navigating with quite a large course.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Yes wrote 710 but meant 705. Start was on, was keeping track of data and it was well into cycle when it switched off.

Perhaps somehow due to a bumpy section of road. It is only twice it has happened in a lot of spins. First time I thought I may have brushed off the power switch with my hand but second time saw it power off as I was looking at it.

I had the same issue with my 705. The problem was the battery was slightly loose and it was vibrating against the circuit board.

I wedged a piece of paper between the battery and the circuit board to stop it moving and that solved the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭RV

I am unhappy with mine too. Mine has switched off for no apparent reason. Also struggled to cope with a long ride where it switched off and then would not stay on. They don't like rain. They give daft readings at times, again for no apparent reason. I don't like it when I have to rely on them.
    That's interesting - that jamming paper near the battery can help.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

My Edge 500 turns itself off on occasion and is also prone to freezing, necessitating a reset. I'm assuming it's mostly down to buggy software.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

this used to happen to me occassionally with the 500. changed the battery in the hrm and that fixed it somehow. still had to get a polar strap to get hr readings properly but thats another story. found the cs a bit crap to be honest. but its a good device all told

slap/dash wrote: »
    this used to happen to me occassionally with the 500. changed the battery in the hrm and that fixed it somehow. still had to get a polar strap to get hr readings properly but thats another story. found the cs a bit crap to be honest. but its a good device all told

Good? Surely you mean handy. Its compact and lightweight. Not reliable. Not cheap. Not good service. Not easy to use. Yes, it is better than Hansel and Gretel's breadcrumb trail, but hardly 21st century engineering.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I had the same issue with my 705. The problem was the battery was slightly loose and it was vibrating against the circuit board.

I wedged a piece of paper between the battery and the circuit board to stop it moving and that solved the problem.

Something to look at, I did get a new screen a few months ago and don't ever recall it powering off before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

my Garmin 810 turned itself off mid cycle today. I have it for a few months now and its the first time it happened. I had a Garmin 510 before this and it never happened. I thought it was the power but when I turned it back on power was over 90%. My existing ride was there so I could save it but it broke up my ride and I didn't appreciate the experience.

Any ideas why it just turned itself off ? I had a dead pixel on the 510 and sent it back to Garmin for repairs but it got lost in the post.

aindriu80 wrote: »
    Any ideas why it just turned itself off ?

Goblins did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

My 500 got a bit glitchy for a while. It switched off or sometimes jumped into what looked like a diagnostic mode. I cleaned the contacts on the USB connection and it has mostly behaved since, although occassionally it does get a bit mixed up if the cadence sensor battery is low.

Raam wrote: »
    Goblins did it.

Actually I was thinking someone was sitting at the side of the road with some kind of electric jammer that would power off the Garmin 810. It has wifi.

Evidently they can record only a certain amount before they start to switch off. Seems to be a known issue especially in the 8 series. Found out why its a Garmin "GPS" - Goddamn Piecea Sh1t.
    Terrific for a trip to the shops. Totally unreliable otherwise.

RV wrote: »
    Evidently they can record only a certain amount before they start to switch off. Seems to be a known issue especially in the 8 series. Found out why its a Garmin "GPS" - Goddamn Piecea Sh1t.

Is there anyway you can empty it ?

• Advertisement

Info here that might help - doing a hard reset. It means you will lose all your info though.

To perform the master reset:

Power device off
    Press and hold Lap/Reset and Start/Stop
    Power device on while still holding both buttons
    Continue holding buttons when the Garmin "splash" screen appears
    Release buttons when Garmin "splash" screen disappears

It says :
    There are a few instances in which it may be necessary to perform a master reset on the Edge 800. A master reset should be performed if the Edge is:

Not functioning properly
    Needing to be restored to factory default settings*
    Not receiving a satellite signal
    To bring up language selection prompt if incorrect language text is showing
    Unable to pair up accessories, such as the heart rate monitor or speed/cadence sensor

nothing about turning itself off. I can always copy my cycles to the PC and copy back though.

aindriu80 wrote: »
    It says :

nothing about turning itself off. I can always copy my cycles to the PC and copy back though.

You would be better uploading them to some website and store them there. The memory will fill up eventually on the Garmin. I presume you are talking about your history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Clear out all the history, course and cache files periodically.

Actually, if you store your history files on a separate disk and do a master reboot periodically it should keep it in good shape.

Also, I'd strongly recommend replacing the battery with one of these:

http://www.newpower99.com/Garmin_Edge_705_Battery_Replacement_Kit_p/garmin%20edge%20705.htm

Yes I talking about the cycles and routes. Nothing else on it.

Not sure thats the problem though.

Its a 810 not 705

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

RV wrote: »

One of the audax lads has found that the garmin won't record a long spin in a single go but you can get around the problem thus:

Once you see that it is not recording (usually a straight line from the last recorded point), pause, power off, power on, resume. This forces a flush to disk/card of the data and it'll carry on recording...

But it recorded a 130k cycle for me the other day and yesterday it successfully recorded my entire ride of the exact same route.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jmcd104

I have a Garmin 200 it won't connect to lap top through usb cable anymore.Sometimes when I turn it on now what appears like a diagnostic screen comes up on it.Did anyone else have a problem like this before or does anyone have a solution.Could it be a faulty cable or does the usb connector in the device need to be cleaned.I have already reset the device and this did not sort the problem.

I took mine out today and went the full cycle without turning itself off. Have to wait and see I guess.

Jmcd104 it could be your laptop not recognizing your 200. It often happens with my IPod and I have to try it a few times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Had a similar problem with a garmin 310 , Garmin replaced it no problem

Advertisement