Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extreme Rules Post-Show Thread *Spoilers*

Options
  • 05-05-2014 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

I thought Extreme Rules was a decent show.

WeeLC match, Cena vs Wyatt, Shield vs. Evolution and Daniel Bryan vs. Kane were the highlights of this show.

I would give it a 5/10.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,944 ✭✭✭✭CSF

This PPV might have worked alot better if they had switched the 2nd half of the show for the first half and finished with the Shield.

Triple threat was a good wrestling match as you would expect, the same with Barrett, Langston. Shield v Evolution was just A grade stuff all around. Unbelievable.

Then you have a cage match to go up there with the worst, stupidest, defying all logic cage matches of all time. Yeah we get it, its a kid, and kids like Cena. **** off. Could live with it at the end of an epic match but not after the average fare served up. This was like an end of Raw match.

Paige v Tamina was a decent wrestling match but we've been long programmed to view this as the pissbreak with no significance. Followed by a main event in which Bryan tried everything to make great, but in the end you can't make Kane look good and again it had an end of Raw feel to it.

6 out of 10. 5 of those grades for the 6-man alone.

Seth Rollins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,815 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I'm a bit surprised by peoples excessive hatred for the cage match and the way it was booked. I thought it was great. Didn't warm to the raw choir segment as much as most but the one creepy Wyatt child for me had more effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Shield v Evoluion was brilliant, Rollins stole the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

"he's burning in hell! he's burning in hell!" Oh look, a well placed stage-hand with a fire extinguisher. Fire extinguishers used to be a serious offence move that could end a match.

Well to be fair even if wrestling was real you'd expect some staff member to get a fire extinguisher ready as soon Kane started pouring fuel on the table.

I thought that was a really good ending, Kane obviously disoriented getting back in the ring and Bryan takes advantage.

It's funny how Kane doesn't sell anything for more than a few seconds though. You would think the big segment of going through a flaming table he'd sell it a bit after the match. I guess it's his character not to sell much but still.

Well to be fair even if wrestling was real you'd expect some staff member to get a fire extinguisher ready as soon Kane started pouring fuel on the table.

I thought that was a really good ending, Kane obviously disoriented getting back in the ring and Bryan takes advantage.

It's funny how Kane doesn't sell anything for more than a few seconds though. You would think the big segment of going through a flaming table he'd sell it a bit after the match. I guess it's his character not to sell much but still.

Would have made more sense for Kane to hit the table and lie there after the fire was put out, Bryan hits an elbow or something, pins him there. Kane trying to get away from the overzealous stage hand drenching him in powder was kinda funny too.

• Advertisement

At first, with the panic of Kane and the quickness of the extinguisher guy, I thought Kane had legit landed badly into the fire. Think the run back into the ring was a bit quick.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

ShagNastii wrote: »
    At first, with the panic of Kane and the quickness of the extinguisher guy, I thought Kane had legit landed badly into the fire. Think the run back into the ring was a bit quick.

Yea same i thought it was very rushed

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭nazmoalex

rovert wrote: »
    Seth will be buried until the end of time after calling Randy brittle in that Press Conference.

I doubt it to be honest. Those press conference things are still in character, although they(WWE) did seem to be trying to make it look like a shoot. Having said that when I watched it I thought the same thing, but more so for the way they spoke about Flair. That came across worse IMO. :eek::D

I thought it was a good show. There were no bad matches. The WeeLC match was really entertaining, Cena-Wyatt was fascinating to watch; really wondering what was going to happen. Don't know what to make of the ending. Kane - Byran & the Divas match were good and Shield-Evolution was great. I love that they didn't show Seth Rollins climbing up and walking along the top. His dive came from absolutely nowhere. Rollins is great!

The only negative - I was expecting more from the Triple Threat match. There is so much potential between Heyman and Colter but nothing was done between them. They teased the Cesaro Swing on Colter on Raw, so was really looking forward to seeing it at Extreme Rules but didn't happen. Just hope it's not the end of the Cesaro-Swagger feud.

The commentators were really confused about the stipulation as well. For example, after Cesaro broke up a pin attempt by RVD on Swagger, Lawler said:

"Cesaro wasn't doing that to save Swagger, he just didn't want this match to end without him being the winner"

The Vladimir Putin thing and the idea Rusev lives in Russia had me in stiches. Next thing they'll be telling us Bulgaria is part of Russia. :D

Just watching the post show, had to laugh at the two boys doing stunners to each other behind Matthews.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Solid show overall:

RVD/Cesaro/Swagger: Good match, RVD put in a decent performance. Cesaro is such a beast.

Rusev v Truth/Woods: It is what it is, Rusev looks good, put him in a proper feud now please.

BNB vs Big E: Pleased for Wade, he's over as **** atm. Big E is in a terrible spot now, the fans simply don't care about him and they've been given no reason to care.

Shield vs Evolution: Great match, all the Shield looked a million bucks. WWE did the right thing and put the young guys over. Rollins <3

Wyatt vs Cena: UGH. Wasn't the point of the cage to stop anyone interfering? This match really did nothing for Bray. He looked weak and Cena looked like his usual Superman nonsense. The ending was like something from 1980s early 90s. Not a fan. Even getting the win this didn't benefit Bray at all.

Paige vs Tamina: Paige continues to pump out solid bouts, not just by diva's standards but by wrestling in general. She seems to be able to get the best out of her opponents too.

Kane vs Bryan: I liked this match, Bryan got the best out of an aging Kane and we had some fun spots. Did not expect the spot with the table. Was weird seeing Kane sit up and basically no sell it but whatever.

7/10 show imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

krudler wrote: »
    Would have made more sense for Kane to hit the table and lie there after the fire was put out, Bryan hits an elbow or something, pins him there. Kane trying to get away from the overzealous stage hand drenching him in powder was kinda funny too.

But the pin had to take place in the ring otherwise he could have pinned him beside the forklift. The finish was hilarious though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Missed half the show last night. Anyone got star ratings? What should I watch?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The 6 man tag was something else! Great match and delighted it was Batista to put over Rollins clean.

The first 75% of the main event reminded me of a vintage 1999 main event match. The end was coming a mile off and laughable at best.

No real questions coming out of ER other than where to now for everyone?

Once again a great showing for the Network. Except the post show, those "press conferences" were laughable!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Enjoyed the show.

Evolution vs Shield was great. Bray vs Cena told a story, though was hoping for another wrestler rather than the kid at the end. Still gave me goosebumps. The triple threat was really good for an opener, BNB winning the title was good.

I enjoyed Bryan vs Kane, and can forgive it for clunkyness given it was Kane involved so it was expected. What I can't forgive though is that the final spot was a table on fire...and that WASN'T the blow off to the feud? Really think given how incredible rare and over that spot is, Kane should have been off TV for a while, not standing tall at the end of the show 30 seconds later.

But that was my only actual complaint. Rest of the show was solid if forgetable long term. Solid 7-8/10 for me.

Kolido wrote: »
    But the pin had to take place in the ring otherwise he could have pinned him beside the forklift. The finish was hilarious though

I didnt even realise that haha the rules for matches seem to vary wildly

The Vladimir Putin thing and the idea Rusev lives in Russia had me in stiches. Next thing they'll be telling us Bulgaria is part of Russia. :D

TBF Geography wouldn't really be a strong point with the yanks. East of Paris they are all commies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

The Cena/Wyatt match was just overbooked. It had sprinkles of genuine dramatic tension, but after Cena's seeming 25th attempt to stave of interference and shenanigans, it would've been quicker to plaster 'WYATT'S WINNING' in 20ft letters across the tron.

Bryan/Kane felt like it dragged in its middle 3rd. Blame falls to Kane too easily, even though he's had sterling No-DQ match-ups with Orton, but that meandering bit to get to the forklit spot took a lot of momentum out of proceedings. I'm fearful this is going to drag for another month too. Bryan's already decked Kane, lit him on fire and pinned him. The fact Kane stood up thereafter does not fill me with eagerness to see a return bout. As an aside, the collective sigh-of-relief as Bryan was revealed as headliner was something to behold online last night.

Evolution/Shield was nifty. Rollins moves with such grace that it feels like he's match-MVP only 2 minutes in. Ambrose's offense is really growing on me, and I'm also surprised at how the 'Scrappy-Doo' punches lend themselves to face-offense as much as they do 'bat****' heel. Reigns, as par for the last few months, was positioned to be the star.

Enjoyed the show.

Bray vs Cena told a story, though was hoping for another wrestler rather than the kid at the end.

Yeah I remember when the Wyatt vignette happened and then the screen went black at the end, I was sure the Wyatt family had a new member. I spent a few seconds speculating who it could be and even thinking maybe the Bo Dallas vignettes were a swerve and he was actually going to debut as a member of the Wyatt family alongside his real-life brother.

Whoever it was, it would have been a great way to introduce a new member.

The kid was a bit of a let down by comparison. :D

When the darkness fell and that Wyatt re verb echoed. I instantly thought "Who is going to be in the ring/at the door?".

Glad it wasn't a fourth member in hindsight. Bray, Harper and Rowan are just right I think another member would add very little. If they tagged on a deliverance diva maybe, but anyone else I'd be against.

ShagNastii wrote: »
    When the darkness fell and that Wyatt re verb echoed. I instantly thought "Who is going to be in the ring/at the door?".

Glad it wasn't a fourth member in hindsight. Bray, Harper and Rowan are just right I think another member would add very little. If they tagged on a deliverance diva maybe, but anyone else I'd be against.

Hmm I see what you mean but on the other hand the whole idea behind the Wyatt Family gimmick is what they brainwash people; so that's what they should be doing. So you could do an easy storyline where they brainwash a fan favourite to join them in their quest.

• Advertisement

Who could you realistically get that the fans have invested enough in to care/believe about them joining the Wyatts? Daniel Wyatt was laaaaame.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Realistically, had the ground work been laid over the last few weeks, you could have had someone looking to Cena for advice, saying they look up to him, but Cena is distracted and kind of blows him off. Then come PPV time, that person turns on Cena to represent the tide turning on Cena.

I'd personally agree they could do with having a 4th member; the story is that Bray can brainwash people....but so far, he's not actually been shown to brainwash anyone. The older fans singing his song are the type who get behind anything fun and catchy. Kids are still wearing Cena merch in the front row.

Had the kid been the recipient of Cena's shirt and hat last night before turning on Cena, that would have been a great twist. Who is the kid even meant to be? Where did he come from?

Realistically, had the ground work been laid over the last few weeks, you could have had someone looking to Cena for advice, saying they look up to him, but Cena is distracted and kind of blows him off. Then come PPV time, that person turns on Cena to represent the tide turning on Cena.

I'd personally agree they could do with having a 4th member; the story is that Bray can brainwash people....but so far, he's not actually been shown to brainwash anyone. The older fans singing his song are the type who get behind anything fun and catchy. Kids are still wearing Cena merch in the front row.

Had the kid been the recipient of Cena's shirt and hat last night before turning on Cena, that would have been a great twist. Who is the kid even meant to be? Where did he come from?

Yeah I agree, it has all the feel of something they came up with on the day of the event rather than something they planned post-WrestleMania, in which they case they could have had a better backstory.

The Wyatt character is a good idea but his storylines have been a bit lacking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Anyone else notice multiple screw-ups with the ref pinfall counts?

They could do with bringing someone else in, it'd have shades of Punk running the SES that time and making people join the cause

Genuinely starting to suspect that this is all one really elaborate really impressive joke being played on me.

Seemingly no matter how **** and laughable Bray's matches are nobody seems to agree wit me.

CSF wrote: »
    Genuinely starting to suspect that this is all one really elaborate really impressive joke being played on me.

Seemingly no matter how **** and laughable Bray's matches are nobody seems to agree wit me.

The match last night was a dud but that wasn't Bray's fault.

It was an overbooked mess and made him look bad. Whereas the match at the Royal Rumble made him look like an unstoppable monster. Night and day the difference.

What did Bray gain from winning? Nothing imo.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    The match last night was a dud but that wasn't Bray's fault.

It was an overbooked mess and made him look bad. Whereas the match at the Royal Rumble made him look like an unstoppable monster. Night and day the difference.

What did Bray gain from winning? Nothing imo.
    The kiddie angle is ****in stupid. The match was poor and leaves me with nothing to care about for the feud going forward.

I didn't specifically say it was Bray's fault and obviously I get that not everyone is gonna see things the same way as me but I'm baffled as to how people thought it was good.

CSF wrote: »
    The kiddie angle is ****in stupid. The match was poor and leaves me with nothing to care about for the feud going forward.

I didn't specifically say it was Bray's fault and obviously I get that not everyone is gonna see things the same way as me but I'm baffled as to how people thought it was good.

Well I can see the logic behind it and it's something different but it hasn't really worked.

Cena is meant to be sympathetic but people just boo him. Its a bad spot for WWE.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Meltzer:
    --The kid who played Little Johnny last night was the son of Jameson, who used to be a regular on WWE programming in the late 80s and early 90s, and even co-hosted the short-lived Bobby Heenan show on the USA Network.

Jameson:
    2125%20-%20glasses%20jameson%20suit%20wwf.png

Advertisement