Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inter-Club League 2014

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

maloner wrote: »
    Its hard to beat club league racing on a night like that. Super stuff

Two wins for Tiernan's. Sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Great race in semi-scratch. Great to be free of the scratch shackles for a change and to have our own race. Enjoyed it immensely despite rolling over the line dead last. Spent the first lap in the bunch sprinting and stalling with the attempted breaks. A break of 5 finally got away on the main road and I jumped after them up the Mullagh. Got on with them just before the chicaney left/right which made it four Usher and three Tiernan's, all eager to stick it to "The Lucan" :). It's great craic being in a working break and we rode together all the way til about 500m before the finish when the tell-tale WHOMP-WHOMP-WHOMP told us that our race was run. -Ah well. We flew as close to the sun as we dared for as long as we could. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭maloner

fat bloke wrote: »
    Great race in semi-scratch. Great to be free of the scratch shackles for a change and to have our own race. Enjoyed it immensely despite rolling over the line dead last. Spent the first lap in the bunch sprinting and stalling with the attempted breaks. A break of 5 finally got away on the main road and I jumped after them up the Mullagh. Got on with them just before the chicaney left/right which made it four Usher and three Tiernan's, all eager to stick it to "The Lucan" :). It's great craic being in a working break and we rode together all the way til about 500m before the finish when the tell-tale WHOMP-WHOMP-WHOMP told us that our race was run. -Ah well. We flew as close to the sun as we dared for as long as we could. :D

Someone made the feckin calculation and hauled us in at exactly the right time from their point of view. Getting the right number of people who'll all work seems to be half the battle and we were all honest in our efforts, but I guess even one Lucan rider might have made the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭fat bloke

maloner wrote: »
    Someone made the feckin calculation and hauled us in at exactly the right time from their point of view. Getting the right number of people who'll all work seems to be half the battle and we were all honest in our efforts, but I guess even one Lucan rider might have made the difference.

There was an unsubstantiated rumour at the finish that 'twas a Tiernan busting a gut at the front of the pack to line them out, and three lads from his club up the road!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Semi Limit race last night was good.

Felt a fast enough pace from the off and I was struggling at times early on to get up when we were doing up and overs. Towards the end of the first lap I seemed to find my legs and had a couple of bursts off the front. Nothing I wanted to stick but just trying a few things out ready for the second lap.

Second lap and I thought 3 of us had got away just after the bridge on the Summerhill to Dunboyne road after we got about 50m but we were hauled back in and shortly after a Tiernans lad went off the front. Nobody seemed to want to chase him. I managed to get a small group trying to bridge across but again e were caught and the group just held on. Back into Batterstown and he was still away with the group coasting along. Eventually with not long to go I went to the front and put the hammer down and with a km >50kmh I almost pulled him back but just ran out of gas and I waved the pack past- I had left it too late anyway. Fair play to him for getting away and holding on it was a well deserved win.

I'm not sure about the other groups but in SL there is definitely no club loyalty among the Lucan riders - basically if one of ours is off the front there's a good chance it will be another of ours chasing them down. Last week a Lucan junior got away and we decided to let another club do the chasing - no one did or at least not for very long and not successfully. I kind of prefer it this way - if we did work together we're the biggest club there and it could ruin the race and by having to work individually it's a good workout.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure about the other groups but in SL there is definitely no club loyalty among the Lucan riders - basically if one of ours is off the front there's a good chance it will be another of ours chasing them down.

I was too tired chasing you to chase one of our guys as well.:D

Even when Lucan aren't working together it feels like you are!

Anyway, someday soon our break will come.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I'm not sure about the other groups but in SL there is definitely no club loyalty among the Lucan riders - basically if one of ours is off the front there's a good chance it will be another of ours chasing them down. .

Last week in limit there were 3 of us Lucan and an IRC guy up the road. Heard afterwards that it was another Lucan rider emptying the tank to haul us in. Club tactics shouldn't be and from what I can see aren't a part of the club league. You see from time to time moves between club mates that have obviously been pre-planned but never more than 2. I agree that if we(Lucan) raced as a team in most of the groups that it make for very boring racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Another PR for me beating my 2012 time which makes me think that the conditions were favourable this evening.

Favourable for times, as opposed to favourable in general - was quite miserable on the way home.

2 punctures for me today one on the way into work, one when I got to my bike heading out to the race so I thought I wasn't going to make it out.

I still wonder how I seem to be able to put in such an effort on the cycle home - makes me think I wasn't trying hard enough in the trial, but at the time I think I am pushing as hard as I can.

Aah well, will be interested to see the results. Well done to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

@Idleater, Your Strava time is great, well done! You should be well up there in the results for the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

when are the results out??

• Advertisement

Still bloody ouch!

Another pr according to the site in the know which I'm happy with.
    Some great times out there, fair play to anyone getting close to the hour mark.

4 minutes 20 seconds over the hour I think. Close but no cigar. Still nearly 10 minutes faster than my last time.

TT's are a thing of horrific evil and wrongness.

One of our lads got 57:21. Frankly that makes me want to curl up in a ditch and cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

Placing are up on theclubleague website. Some savage times, just savage.
    I am surprised how the strava times differ from official.3rd place in SL is 13 seconds behind me on strava and on my garmin. I don't know my official time, but I don't think it was 13 secs off. Do others see this type of difference in their times.

My time on the "blackbull - trim 25 mile tt" segment is the same as my result.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I am surprised how the strava times differ from official.3rd place in SL is 13 seconds behind me on strava and on my garmin.

GPS is never 100% accurate, so you'll expect to see variances between Strava times and official times.

Yeah, couple of secs here and there but 13 is a big difference. I stopped my clock well after the finish line. Even if the calibration is wrong, still don't get the actual stopwatch function would be so variant with the official time (which I don't know yet)
    Anyway, was hoping for a lift after a sh1t week. Was going to the cruiser to watch the match and 'celebrate'. Will go to same pub and do opposite. Result still....pub :)

Yeah, couple of secs here and there but 13 is a big difference. I stopped my clock well after the finish line. Even if the calibration is wrong, still don't get the actual stopwatch function would be so variant with the official time (which I don't know yet)
    Anyway, was hoping for a lift after a sh1t week. Was going to the cruiser to watch the match and 'celebrate'. Will go to same pub and do opposite. Result still....pub :)

You beat the pants off me. Take solace in that.

No posts on the Club Champs?

Must have been easy for everyone so.

Anyone know why the race was stopped by the Rozzers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Anyone know why the race was stopped by the Rozzers?

A local resident complained to the gardai that they had been stopped from using the roads by a marshal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

A local resident complained to the gardai that they had been stopped from using the roads by a marshal.

I hope this works out better for ye than it did for us with regard to fingal.

Might be best to let this one lie for a bit folks and let the League Committee get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I've deleted my posts regarding it.

Advertisement