Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sterling banned from Clippers

Options
  • 29-04-2014 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭

Silver coming out stronger than I expected already. :eek:

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Breaking: NBA to ban Donald Sterling for life, reports Yahoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Lifetime ban for Sterling & $2.5mil fine

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Life.

WOW.

The devil will be in the detail though. No mention of sale.

$2.5M ban, the max given.

Forced sale. Still TBC.

Silver kinda cracking up at times there.

• Advertisement

This is a beatdown.

On forcing sale of Clippers, Silver says, he "will do everything in my power to ensure that that happens."

Also trying to force the sale of the Clippers (3/4 of owners vote will force the sale)

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    On forcing sale of Clippers, Silver says, he "will do everything in my power to ensure that that happens."

Heard that, but saying that and making it happen are two very different things. I applaud him on his efforts though.

Interesting question there!

• Advertisement

If sale is forced through though, Sterling gets somewhere between $600million and $2 BILLION dollars. Nice paycheck for being a bigot.

Woj: Several groups with desire to purchase Clippers are already stepping forward, with a bidding war expected to exceed $1 billion for Clippers.

Woj: Several groups* with desire to purchase Clippers are already stepping forward, with a bidding war expected to exceed $1 billion for Clippers.

*Starring Magic Johnson!

Adrian Wojnarowski
    @WojYahooNBA
    Among those groups, Magic Johnson and Guggenheim Partners will be front-and-center in pursuit of the Clippers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Silver was clearly nervous there but he did a good job IMO. Not an easy incident to deal with for your first big incident as Commisioner. Fair play to him. I don't think he could have done much more in all honesty.

Some nice laydeez at this press conference…...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Magic buying the Clippers is ridiculous in my eyes.

kmart6 wrote: »

Well to be clear, it won't be Magic. Magic is not that rich. But he will be the poster boy/face of the franchise if his group get to buy it IF IT'S PUT UP FOR SALE.

Sterling could sell it to the Mrs. Sterling (not V Stifiano or whatever her name is) for a dollar and they (the NBA) are screwed. Nothing they can do.

Silver couldn't have handled this in a stronger, more definitive way. NBA messed around with the Sterling situation in the past. Not now.

• Advertisement

kmart6 wrote: »

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Sterling could sell it to the Mrs. Sterling (not V Stifiano or whatever her name is) for a dollar and they (the NBA) are screwed. Nothing they can do.

There has to be consensus among owners for people to take ownership. No chance Mrs. Sterling would pass any sort of owners vote.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

3/4th majority may.

Some owners who have expressed expressed support according to NBA.com

1. Indiana Pacers owner Herb Simon.
    2. Los Angeles Lakers co-owner Jeanie Buss.
    3. Portland Trail Blazers owner Paul Allen.
    4. Philadelphia 76ers managing owner Josh Harris
    5. Cleveland Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert

I'm sure more will follow

http://www.nba.com/2014/news/04/28/nba-owners-reax-donald-sterling/

Edit: Sorry I was typing this while that warning was posted. Did not see it until I posted

Paully D wrote: »
    There has to be consensus among owners for people to take ownership. No chance Mrs. Sterling would pass any sort of owners vote.

This has court case written all over it unless Sterling decides to cash out. He made those remarks in private, not in a League Ownership or speaking on behalf of the NBA capacity. I think they'll really struggle with this. There is no precedence.

Stern left Sterling some mess to sort out didn't he?

I'm anything but excusing this by the way. The man is a dinosaur/racist/bigot/fool/knob etc. but it's his team.

Interesting that the Fee Agency thing was kicked to touch. They clearly want to minimize damage to the Clippers Franchise for the (potential) new owner(s).

You'd be surprised on that one I suspect. This is an elite group of 30 people, of which they'll need 23 to agree to force him to sell. This one could run and run.

And he could just go legal on it for sh!ts and giggles and to poke the hornet's nest. He seems like a cantankerous old git who likes his day in court (if you read about his previous "misdemeanors" he fights hard and dirty) so i can't see him walking away easily on this - his prize asset - unless it's scary money.

BmaMLanCYAAZiqP.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 39 MRedd

this is blown over proportion

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Would there not be rules as to the suitability of "new" owners? Would the other 29 owners not get a chance to veto it? Genuine question
    A true Irish way of dealing with it.

MRedd wrote: »
    this is blown over proportion

Ya but that is America. I am sure Mickey Jordan has said a few things about white players back in the day.I kinda see it being difficult for the other owners to support a forced sale. Lord knows, bar Cuban (who seems a decent guy) Sterling could have a load of dirt on them.

If sterling had sense, he would sell and run with the money

• Advertisement

Hmm, I Remember Jermey Lin ,in an interview, once saying that when he was being interviewed by various GM and owners, he was asked crazy questions like what was his political view on a number of matters, nothing to do with basketball so, who knows. We don't know who tight these guys are with each other either.they might worry of setting a precdent that might hurt them in the future.

Advertisement