Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Venues, Prices & All The Rest!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Well next Saturday we are scheduled in to view Village at Lyons, Johnstown House & Moyvalley so hopefully we will have a better idea of whats out there and what kind of bargaining power we have (if any!)
    Take a look at the 4 venues in Liexlip then
    Finnstown
    Springfield
    Liexlip house
    Always get mixed up between the one in the town on the hill and the manor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭Gatica

We looked into those venues too, and found them a bit expensive. Once you add in the drinks, the band, etc... It would've really been too much pp. The Village at Lyons is beautiful, but we thought for numbers of > 90 we wouldn't like to split our guests up over 2 floors and let them "find out" who's the "unimportant" group.
    We have a few earmarked that we will likely offer a +1 to and of course between now and the wedding peoples circumstances may change.

We reckon we will take painauchocolat's suggestion and simply ask when the time comes for the invites to go out.

I agree with this as it's what we did. We budgeted for everyone having a partner because our wedding was planned over a year in advance and we thought some may end up going out with someone before the date. Closer to the time we were sorting invites we checked back with a couple of our mates and one of them was seeing a girl over in the UK, we got her name and we invited them both. I find the whole just "+1" on invite rather impersonal in situations where it's a bf/gf/partner.
    Other friends that knew almost everyone at the wedding, didn't get a plus 1. The only person we gave an actual "+guest" invitation to was a girl that used to go out with one of the guys from our group of friends. He was seeing someone else, and don't think she was yet. We didn't want her to feel awkward if she came alone, so gave her the option of coming with someone. As it happens she had to go to another wedding the same day anyway.

I personally think +1's need to be given in certain circumstances, but it wouldn't be for me to give such an open invite to such a personal event. Then again we didn't want a huge wedding where we didn't remember who was or wasn't there.
    I think de facto inviting partners is the polite thing to do, but random +1 is not the same thing to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Lyrath has been mentioned to my missus by a couple of her colleagues, I stayed there a couple of years ago and its gorgeous, anyone ever been to a wedding there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Lyrath has been mentioned to my missus by a couple of her colleagues, I stayed there a couple of years ago and its gorgeous, anyone ever been to a wedding there?

I stayed there recently, and it's beautiful- I'd love to go there for a weekend every month!!!
    I was at a wedding there a few years ago, and to be honest, that wedding doesn't stand out in my mind as being any better than any others. The food, I'm sure was lovely, but I can't remember it, so it mustn't have been much better than all the other weddings I've been to. I do remember that it was quite a big function room (for the life of me, I can't remember how many were at the wedding, but since it was my second cousin, they couldn't have been too picky about who they invited, so I'd say it was the in the 200 ppl region)- so if you're only having 125 ppl, I'd make sure they can block off half of the function room so ye won't be lost in a corner.
    Remember too that if neither of ye is from Kilkenny, everyone has to travel, and this might put people off, as it will mean two nights in a hotel, which, let's face it- isn't cheap to stay in.
    If I was Dublin based, and wanted my wedding in a delightful hotel like the lyrath, I'd probably find one closer to home!

Also, when I stayed there recently, my friends and I had a look through their wedding brochures (2 of us are engaged, it was market research!!). I think it was about €90 per head, but I wouldn't swear to that!

Just an update.

We've seen a couple of potentials, a couple of lovely but out of budget places and a couple of definite no no's.

We have 5 places to visit this Saturday and one place to re-visit Sunday so hopefully things will be a bit clearer after that.

We have been thinking of viewing Dunboyne Castle or Boyne Hill House, there are some good reports online but nothing in the last 12 to 24 months, anyone here any experience with them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Jellytotsx

What about Tankardstown in Meath? It's quite expensive but they might be able to work something out and it's a really beautiful spot. Would be quite similar to Village of Lyons but there's a bit more accommodation there.

Just an update.

We've seen a couple of potentials, a couple of lovely but out of budget places and a couple of definite no no's.

We have 5 places to visit this Saturday and one place to re-visit Sunday so hopefully things will be a bit clearer after that.

We have been thinking of viewing Dunboyne Castle or Boyne Hill House, there are some good reports online but nothing in the last 12 to 24 months, anyone here any experience with them?

theyre both good, wont go wrong in either. Dunboyne do a LOT of weddings.

Jellytotsx wrote: »
    What about Tankardstown in Meath? It's quite expensive but they might be able to work something out and it's a really beautiful spot. Would be quite similar to Village of Lyons but there's a bit more accommodation there.

We were considering it alright but research would point to it been outside budget unless we were going mid week which I don't want to do of at all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Jellytotsx

We were considering it alright but research would point to it been outside budget unless we were going mid week which I don't want to do of at all possible.

Yeah I think unless you're going midweek/winter package it is on the higher end of the budget scale! I noticed from some of your other posts that you are looking at next May/June, not to be a negative nelly but I've worked in wedding venues for the last five years and I'd be hesitant to say there would be much weekend availability left for those months. It's peek wedding season and I know in some places for May/ June Thursdays can even be difficult to get a year in advance.

Of course this is all just my own opinion, I could be completely wrong and I hope you get the weekend date you two are looking for :)

Saw 3 places today, 2 no's and one I think we are going to go with. We had stayed in it about 18 months ago but obviously at that time werent thinking weddings but its ticking most of the boxes for both of us.

Going to provisionally book the date (which is exactly what we are looking for in that regard) on Monday and head down again next weekend for some haggling to see if there is any movement either on price or on what they will give us.

Pretty happy and excited now!

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭almorris

Hiya, Why don't you try haggling first, then provisionally book? If someone came to see me after provisionally booking I'd be reluctant to move on price. If your interested enough to provisionally book I would have thought your haggling position is lessened somewhat.

Good luck, take care,

Al Morris

Just an update.

We had provisionally booked our date and headed down there last Saturday to meet the owner.

Soooooooooo feckin sound.

Really chuffed with the deal we have gotten, he gave us a fantastic per head rate, what we are getting is exactly what we wanted, its a Friday in mid July and we even got a sizable break on the room rates for guests.

We basically chanced our arm to see what we could get and got about 99% of that however the 1% we didnt get, we wernt getting it anywhere else anyway so are not remotely bothered.

Booked the church today and heading down to the venue this coming Saturday to pay our deposit.

Delira!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Which did you go for in the end!! Congrats on making the decision..

We went with Rathsallagh!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

We went with Rathsallagh!

what a fabulous venue. Congrats :) I hate the way they make you book out the rooms though and then you sell them on. Are they still doing this?

Nope.

There is a requirement that a minimum of 23 rooms are taken but we should have no hassle completely filling all rooms so thats not a concern.

Nope.

There is a requirement that a minimum of 23 rooms are taken but we should have no hassle completely filling all rooms so thats not a concern.

If by some chance rooms aren't filled you will get billed for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭Gatica

I would imagine so. It wouldn't be a business trying to make money on rooms if the B&G couldn't guarantee payment for them.
    We had to fill 32 rooms. We had a hard time doing that, but luckily got there in the end. We had to ask hotel to open up the rooms for public booking, just in case. We thought if we did that and they saw that we did actually want to fill the rooms, they may let us off but they were preparing the billing for empty rooms! so I wouldn't count on it.

Millem wrote: »
    If by some chance rooms aren't filled you will get billed for them?

Yep but just from speaking to some people we have about 15 filled already so it won't be an issue.

Yep but just from speaking to some people we have about 15 filled already so it won't be an issue.

Happy days so :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Radioheader

Millem wrote: »
    what a fabulous venue. Congrats :) I hate the way they make you book out the rooms though and then you sell them on. Are they still doing this?

What a fantastic venue. Absolutely beautiful place. Hope you have a wonderful day. The staff there are second to none.

What a fantastic venue. Absolutely beautiful place. Hope you have a wonderful day. The staff there are second to none.

Thanks a lot.

It is beautiful alright. We had stayed there before and everything was top class, the food, service etc and Joe (the owner) is an incredibly nice bloke.

He is what sold it for me. He basically bent over backwards to accommodate us in terms of what we are looking for on the day so I couldn't recommend meeting with him enough if people are in the market for a venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Wow looks great!! Well done to ye happy planning for the rest of it

So some updates.

Band & DJ have been sorted, just have to pay the booking deposit Friday, we went to see them doing a showcase last week and they were fantastic so happy out with them.

Meeting photographer tonight but we are 99.99% going to go with her anyway as her style is exactly what herself wants.

Going to view cars Saturday week but again, pretty much decided what we are doing for that.

Pre marriage course is booked aswell.

Next up is videographer so if anyone has suggestions that would be great. Budget would be up to €1000. What we want would be someone to cover from the church arrival up to the first dance or 2 and I want the speeches included too.

Danke!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

So some updates.

Band & DJ have been sorted, just have to pay the booking deposit Friday, we went to see them doing a showcase last week and they were fantastic so happy out with them.

Meeting photographer tonight but we are 99.99% going to go with her anyway as her style is exactly what herself wants.

Going to view cars Saturday week but again, pretty much decided what we are doing for that.

Pre marriage course is booked aswell.

Next up is videographer so if anyone has suggestions that would be great. Budget would be up to €1000. What we want would be someone to cover from the church arrival up to the first dance or 2 and I want the speeches included too.

Danke!

I booked this guy I got the "Diamond" package for 700e

Hi all.

Looking for more help.

We have everything booked with the exception of the church singer/band which we are having difficulty getting.

We have done alot of research but are coming up short.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Hi all.

Looking for more help.

We have everything booked with the exception of the church singer/band which we are having difficulty getting.

Do you mean a church band? What are you looking for? Female/male/duo?

Hi all.

Looking for more help.

Do you mean a church band? What are you looking for? Female/male/duo?

Ya man.

Looking for a female, preferably with an accompanying musician. Budget is around €500 (less if we can get it!)

A few we have liked are already booked unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Ya man.

Looking for a female, preferably with an accompanying musician. Budget is around €500 (less if we can get it!)

A few we have liked are already booked unfortunately.

We really liked Aoife O' Neill. She is accompanied by a guitar/ukulele player and she plays keyboard herself. I think she quoted us around the €400 mark but she's based in cork so it might be a bit higher for you with travel.

We didn't end up booking her for a couple of reasons, but I'd still recommend her. She has a great voice and has a few samples on her website.

Advertisement