Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever been to a Michelin star restaurant?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

THIS is where the jibes and the unnecessary and frankly bizarre aggression and snobbery kick in.

That post was out of order. I agree with some of the sentiments, but certainly not the tone of it. But there is also this peculiar reverse snobbery that I mentioned. Where suggesting that eating good food in a nice restaurant where filling your stomach isn't the main, or indeed the only concern, somehow represents a slight to those people who would rather eat a carvery or go to an all-you-can-buffet. Like its a slight against the working class or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Where did I say I was better than you?
    From the condescending tone of your post directed at those who aren't overly enamoured by Michelin Star eateries.

I like good quality, and good service. I'm not bothered by price or portion size if I get both of those. If I want artistic creativity, an aesthetic perspective or a spiritual fulfillment I'll watch a movie or read a book.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

Food hipsters....OUT!!!!

Ok then so what's wrong with calling them on that preference as Von whatisname did?

And it's a false dilemma. You can like a good burger and an expensive meal.

It's almost like professing a preference for treating yourself to a good meal in a high-end restaurant is showing ideas above your station. That having a well-dressed plate of scallops or a nice piece of wild venison is showing contempt for the punter happy to have a burger. When it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

kowloon wrote: »
    A bit of snobbery seeping through the cracks in some of the posts here.

Plenty of reverse snobbery too. People assuming they're pretentious and full of snobs. I've been to 3, and they weren't the least bit pretentious. The staff were amazing and would answer the stupidest most ignorant question like any other, very professional and understanding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Linka

GenieOz wrote: »
    Gorging is, expecting sufficient food to fill you isn't.

Being too used to gorging makes a normal plate of food insufficient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

That post was out of order. I agree with some of the sentiments, but certainly not the tone of it. But there is also this peculiar reverse snobbery that I mentioned. Where suggesting that eating good food in a nice restaurant where filling your stomach isn't the main, or indeed the only concern, somehow represents a slight to those people who would rather eat a carvery or go to an all-you-can-buffet. Like its a slight against the working class or something.

Ah here! Your reading way too much into it.

I would like to eat in one of these restaurants for the experience but I do think there's a huge amount of pretension around what is essentially food these days. I like good wine, beers, food and I don't like fast food but I don't go on and on about it. It seems some people (not necessarily on this thread) spend more time talking about the enjoyment of food than they do actually eating the stuff and I think people are reacting to that. There's a middle ground.

I don't like people getting all tetchy when someone states they prefer a craft beer over a lager, for example, but I also don't like a lot of the pretension surrounding the industry either. I live in Spain where good wine is part and parcel of a decent meal but they don't make a song and dance about it, they just drink the stuff and enjoy it. I think some of the posters are reacting to the pretentiousness and not to the fact that people like fancy meals in fancy restaurants.

You don't go to these sort of restaurants for a feed. **** off to supermacs for that. You go to appreciate the craft of cooking and the symphony of service, quality ingredients, superb cooking skills married to the best wine with the meal. It's an experience like a West End musical, El Classico or great opera. If you don't understand any of this **** off to supermacs.

How did the food hipster burn his tongue?

He ate his food before it was cool.

It's almost like professing a preference for treating yourself to a good meal in a high-end restaurant is showing ideas above your station. That having a well-dressed plate of scallops or a nice piece of wild venison is showing contempt for the punter happy to have a burger. When it isn't.

No it's not but it depends how you express that preference. Some people on here have been very condescending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Some people on here have been very condescending.

People can be very precious about their hobbies. Tell a foody you only eat to replenish your energy when you're hungry and they look at you like you kicked a puppy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

THIS is where the jibes and the unnecessary and frankly bizarre aggression and snobbery kick in.

Untrue. See post #6. See also the "pitiful portions". If you took the trouble to read what I wrote I pointed out that if you want a feed, as we all might do or have done you go elsewhere. There is no need to condemn people who enjoy the experience as "pretentious". But I'm not getting into personalised slagging matches.

Untrue. See post #6. See also the "pitiful portions". If you took the trouble to read what I wrote I pointed out that if you want a feed, as we all might do or have done you go elsewhere. There is no need to condemn people who enjoy the experience as "pretentious". But I'm not getting into personalised slagging matches.

Rrrright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Rrrright.

I'm not getting into personalised slagging matches.

I'm not getting into personalised slagging matches.

Okely dokely.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Linka

Rrrright.

And you're not being defensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I did once.

I ate everything in the restaurant and they had to close the restaurant.

Linka wrote: »
    And you're not being defensive.

I think I've been fairly reasonable in what I've said so far. Nothing personalised about what I said.

I would like to eat in one of these restaurants for the experience but I do think there's a huge amount of pretension around what is essentially food these days. I like good wine, beers, food and I don't like fast food but I don't go on and on about it. It seems some people (not necessarily on this thread) spend more time talking about the enjoyment of food than they do actually eating the stuff and I think people are reacting to that. There's a middle ground.

But food is a genuine passion for some people. Some of my fondest memories involve good company coupled with amazing food and excellent wine. A memory of my father trying lobster for the first time in a small restaurant in France in the late 80's. Bringing my girlfriend to a Michelin Starred place in Munich for our first 'formal date'. Trying to ask the waiter a question about the food using my rather stunted German (at the time).

Making a simple bruschetta using amazing Italian tomatoes, garlic and olive oil. It's a hobby to me. One I enjoy. For others it's watching football, playing computer games, or sinking pints.

But food is a genuine passion for some people. Some of my fondest memories involve good company coupled with amazing food and excellent wine. A memory of my father trying lobster for the first time in a small restaurant in France in the late 80's. Bringing my girlfriend to a Michelin Starred place in Munich for our first 'formal date'. Trying to ask the waiter a question about the food using my rather stunted German (at the time).

Making a simple bruschetta using amazing Italian tomatoes, garlic and olive oil. It's a hobby to me. One I enjoy. For others it's watching football, playing computer games, or sinking pints.

I get that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Strange thread this. I've been to one two starred restaurant and it was fantastic and unpretentious. But I appear to be on the side of the hipsters. Unlike true hipsterism where the hipster would never be caught with a Starbucks or a non- craft beer, michellian starred restaurants can't be all the time. So although I'll go to one again, lunch tomorrow will be a hang sangwich and I'll be happy enough. Might even add plastic cheese.

But I do enjoy occasional trips to good restaurants and from a small sample size it looks like the starred restaurants are good.

Look at the posts. People criticising food hipsterism attack general cliches about fancy food. Low portions and lack of plates ( which I have seen in pubs ). People who have been to michellian starred restaurants have universally said they were good and worth it, even if just for lunch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Making a simple bruschetta using amazing Italian tomatoes, garlic and olive oil. It's a hobby to me.
    What, that one meal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Yeah, we get it, it's your hobby and everyone should have a chance to
    enjoy their passion. No problem there.

However, that doesn't give you the right to disregard those that don't hold your hobby in the same esteem as unwashed and uncouth philistines.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

People who have been to michellian starred restaurants have universally said they were good and worth it

No they haven't.
    jaja321 wrote: »
    Chapter One in Dublin is overrated in my opinion, really stuffy atmosphere and service is very much in your face - food was good but overall experience not worth it in my opinion.

Pocoyo wrote: »
    How did the food hipster burn his tongue?

He ate his food before it was cool.

Not one thank you...I dont care what any of you think it was a great joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Ah here! Your reading way too much into it.

I don't like people getting all tetchy when someone states they prefer a craft beer over a lager, for example, but I also don't like a lot of the pretension surrounding the industry either. I live in Spain where good wine is part and parcel of a decent meal but they don't make a song and dance about it, they just drink the stuff and enjoy it. I think some of the posters are reacting to the pretentiousness and not to the fact that people like fancy meals in fancy restaurants.

Stop assuming that they're pretentious and go to one and see for yourself.

Strange thread this. I've been to one two starred restaurant and it was fantastic and unpretentious. But I appear to be on the side of the hipsters. Unlike true hipsterism where the hipster would never be caught with a Starbucks or a non- craft beer, michellian starred restaurants can't be all the time. So although I'll go to one again, lunch tomorrow will be a hang sangwich and I'll be happy enough. Might even add plastic cheese.

But I do enjoy occasional trips to good restaurants and from a small sample size it looks like the starred restaurants are good.

Look at the posts. People criticising good hipsterism attack general cliches about fancy food. Low portions and lack of plates ( which I have seen in pubs ). People who have been to michellian starred restaurants have universally said they were good and worth it, even if just for lunch.

I don't like it when people label someone a hipster for having a desire for something that not mainstream. It drives me nuts and people are idiots for doing so.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Stop assuming that they're pretentious and go to one and see for yourself.

I never said they were pretentious, I said there was a lot of food pretension surrounding the industry these days.

I've actually eaten in one (Chapter One I think it was). Delicious. My old boss took us there.

What, that one meal?

No, but that is an example of an extremely simple meal that can be extraordinary when made with decent ingredients. It can be exciting to source these ingredients and prepare something stunning. The smell of good Italian garlic, the taste of decent tomatoes (the quality of the the vase majority of tomatoes in Ireland is awful), the sound of crusty bread being cut. I don't think everyone gets that feeling. Which is okay. It takes all sorts.

No, but that is an example of an extremely simple meal that can be extraordinary when made with decent ingredients. It can be exciting to source these ingredients and prepare something stunning. The smell of good Italian garlic, the taste of decent tomatoes (the quality of the the vase majority of tomatoes in Ireland is awful), the sound of crusty bread being cut. I don't think everyone gets that feeling. Which is okay. It takes all sorts.

Sorry. I have to laugh. :pac:

• Advertisement

Yeah, we get it, it's your hobby and everyone should have a chance to
    enjoy their passion. No problem there.

However, that doesn't give you the right to disregard those that don't hold your hobby in the same esteem as unwashed and uncouth philistines.

Again, you're incorrectly inferring that I believe people who don't see the eating, preparation and sensory indulgence inherent in good food as "unwashed and uncouth philistines". I don't. Aldi sell microwavable hotdogs here in Germany. I find the concept physically repulsive. Other don't, as they buy then, and therefore almost certainly eat them. I may find it rather gross, but I'm not exactly holding a placard outside the supermarket as they go in to buy them.

Advertisement