Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Offseason 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The Lakers have apparently asked the Bulls for permission to interview Thibs. I know Thibs doesn't really get along with the Bulls front office, but they're still not going to say yes and I doubt he'd have any interest in going there as they are big time in rebuilding mode.

Anyway, my question is, if you were the Bulls and the Lakers offered their 1st round draft pick this year as part of a package for Thibs, would you take it? I love Thibs but being honest, I'd accept the offer before they could finish their sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

I hope the talk of Thibs being linked with other teams is just speculation, but it worries me that well-connected people like Simmons and Wojnarowski are tweeting about. (Woj hasn't said anything lately, but has previous articles about unrest between Thibs and the front office).

Anyway, I wouldn't trade him for a high draft pick. Even good draft picks take a year or two to bear fruit, and that's if they work out. You go draft pick and a new coach, you're saying that you're not challenging for a championship for another 2 or 3 year's time. But with the core of Rose, Noah, Gibson, and a bunch of players that know Thibs' system, the team is built to win now.

My feeling is Thibs wouldn’t press to leave, he's too honourable (you get the old-school sense of wanting to honour his contracts from him), and the Bulls would be an unfinished job for him (different from Doc Rivers that way). The only way it happens is if the front-office push for it.

I assume the front-office know what a good coach they have, and don't push for this. But I have less of a sense of the personalities of Forman & Paxson, so I'm not quite as sure on this. Maybe if they think the relationship is too bad, they could. It would be an unpopular move and quite a risk. I don’t think they do it when they seem quite close to having a contending team.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

padraig_f wrote: »
    I hope the talk of Thibs being linked with other teams is just speculation, but it worries me that well-connected people like Simmons and Wojnarowski are tweeting about. (Woj hasn't said anything lately, but has previous articles about unrest between Thibs and the front office).

Anyway, I wouldn't trade him for a high draft pick. Even good draft picks take a year or two to bear fruit, and that's if they work out. You go draft pick and a new coach, you're saying that you're not challenging for a championship for another 2 or 3 year's time. But with the core of Rose, Noah, Gibson, and a bunch of players that know Thibs' system, the team is built to win now.

My feeling is Thibs wouldn’t press to leave, he's too honourable (you get the old-school sense of wanting to honour his contracts from him), and the Bulls would be an unfinished job for him (different from Doc Rivers that way). The only way it happens is if the front-office push for it.

I assume the front-office know what a good coach they have, and don't push for this. But I have less of a sense of the personalities of Forman & Paxson, so I'm not quite as sure on this. Maybe if they think the relationship is too bad, they could. It would be an unpopular move and quite a risk. I don’t think they do it when they seem quite close to having a contending team.

i dont understand the bit in bold would you mind elaborating.

the bulls would be mad to get rid of thibs unless its an herschel walker trade which i don't know is possible in the nba love him from his time with the celtics and they will not be able to replace him but that bulls hierarchy has ruined worse cant see it happening to be honest.

nerd69 wrote: »
    i dont understand the bit in bold would you mind elaborating.

Bill Simmons compared it to Doc Rivers today: "I feel good about this prediction: Thibs becomes this summer's Doc (traded for a future 1st round pick), then Chicago hires Fred Hoiberg."

But Rivers had won a championship with the Celtics, and the team was being blown up for a complete rebuild that he didn't want to be part of.

Thibs hasn't won a championship and the team is still very much in its prime. So I think they're different circumstances. Thibs has put a lot of work into the Bulls, I don't think he walks away easily. The Lakers aren't so attractive without their draft pick, they have an aging Kobe and not much else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

padraig_f wrote: »
    Bill Simmons compared it to Doc Rivers today: "I feel good about this prediction: Thibs becomes this summer's Doc (traded for a future 1st round pick), then Chicago hires Fred Hoiberg."

But Rivers had won a championship with the Celtics, and the team was being blown up for a complete rebuild that he didn't want to be part of.

Thibs hasn't won a championship and the team is still very much in its prime. So I think they're different circumstances. Thibs has put a lot of work into the Bulls, I don't think he walks away easily. The Lakers aren't so attractive without their draft pick, they have an aging Kobe and not much else.

ahhhhhh i get ya i thought you meant doc left before he finished the job i was ready unmuzzle the dogs :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Philly's Michael Carter-Williams reportedly named Kia Rookie of the Year. Oladipo, Burke finish 2-3.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Philly's Michael Carter-Williams reportedly named Kia Rookie of the Year. Oladipo, Burke finish 2-3.

Deserved. Though if Scott Brooks wasn't a _____ with Steven Adams :D

Burke was unlucky with that injury he suffered midway during the season, and well, his teammates. Ditto Oladipo, though he more cooled off towards the end of the season.

MCW's stats -

Bm39KU-IQAAOPRZ.jpg:large

Might as well ask it now, but what next for the following teams after their opening round elimination from the Playoffs.. ?

Toronto Raptors
    Charlotte Hornets (going to take some time calling them Charlotte Hornets!)
    Houston Rockets
    Atlanta Hawks
    Memphis Grizzlies
    Golden State Warriors
    Dallas Mavericks
    Chicago Bulls

Toronto has reached agreement on a three-year contract extension with coach Dwane Casey, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Toronto has reached agreement on a three-year contract extension with coach Dwane Casey, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

Excellent move for Toronto in keeping Casey on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

Toronto Raptors

Don't think anything major aside from keeping the coach

Charlotte Hornets (going to take some time calling them Charlotte Hornets!)

Same as the raptors don't think they'll make any big moves in the offseason if any at all

Houston Rockets

Try and trade Asik and Lin for maybe Melo, but I' expect Asik at least to be traded. I don't think they'll get rid of McHale

Atlanta Hawks

Not Much

Memphis Grizzlies

Not much......maybe a younger SG?

Golden State Warriors

New Coach....but who is the question

Dallas Mavericks

don't know to be honest.....maybe look for a younger player to replace/play with Carter

Chicago Bulls

Go all in for Melo and maybe mirotic......but they need to get some scoring and make sure Rose is healthy....if he plays for Team USA this summer it'd be great to get rid of some of the rust he'll have.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

ec18 wrote: »

Chicago Bulls

Go all in for Melo and maybe mirotic......but they need to get some scoring and make sure Rose is healthy....if he plays for Team USA this summer it'd be great to get rid of some of the rust he'll have.

They would be absolutely crazy to allow him to play in the Worlds. Crazy, crazy, crazy. What if he gets injured again?

They would be absolutely crazy to allow him to play in the Worlds. Crazy, crazy, crazy. What if he gets injured again?

He's going to have to play sometime.........can't wrap him in cotton wool :P

What he needs is competitive game time and if he can play in a deeper rotation during the summer where there'll be less offensive load on him then it's only good for the bulls.

He's going to have to play sometime.........can't wrap him in cotton wool :P

What he needs is competitive game time and if he can play in a deeper rotation during the summer where there'll be less offensive load on him then it's only good for the bulls.

Completely disagree on letting him play for the Worlds. The international game is different (slower and more physical to start) to the NBA game in many ways. And the question for the Bulls would be why risk him? Yes, of course he can't be wrapped in cotton wool and of course he has to play at some stage, but if you're the Bulls, that happens on your watch, with your trainers/medical team, on your schedule etc. - not someone else's. USA Basketball don't pay his wages.

I'm sure Chicago fans would be none too enthused if he goes down playing for the US. All the arguments would be he came back to soon, wasn't ready, WTF is he doing playing for them jeopardising his chances of playing for the Bulls etc.

This will not happen.

Completely disagree on letting him play for the Worlds. The international game is different (slower and more physical to start) to the NBA game in many ways. And the question for the Bulls would be why risk him? Yes, of course he can't be wrapped in cotton wool and of course he has to play at some stage, but if you're the Bulls, that happens on your watch, with your trainers/medical team, on your schedule etc. - not someone else's. USA Basketball don't pay his wages.

I'm sure Chicago fans would be none too enthused if he goes down playing for the US. All the arguments would be he came back to soon, wasn't ready, WTF is he doing playing for them jeopardising his chances of playing for the Bulls etc.

This will not happen.

Fair enough I think we'll have to agree to disagree......haven't the bulls already given the go ahead for rose to play for USA?

Fair enough I think we'll have to agree to disagree......haven't the bulls already given the go ahead for rose to play for USA?

I think what they've done (but I am open to correction on this) is allow him to participate in the training camp. Thibs is a US assistant for the Worlds, but I honestly can't see him playing - regardless of fitness or form.

It just makes NO sense to allow this. I'm not a Bulls fan btw, just can't see how this will be allowed.

140506095228-kevin-durant-mvp-art-for-3pack-050614.home-t3.jpg

Thunder forward Kevin Durant has been named NBA MVP for the first time during his seven-year career.

ESPN.com reports that the league’s scoring champ will officially be recognized as 2014 NBA MVP early next week.

Durant, 25, finished second to Heat forward LeBron James in the 2012 and 2013 MVP votes. The five-time All-Star emerged as the MVP favorite this season by averaging a career-high 32 points, 7.4 rebounds, 5.5 assists and 1.3 steals while shooting 50.3 percent from the field and 39.1 percent from deep. Durant led the NBA in Player Efficiency Rating, Win Shares, minutes played, points, field goals, field goal attempts, free throws, free throw attempts and usage rate.

Additionally, Durant led the Thunder to a 59-23 record, good for the second-best in the Western Conference, even though All-Star guard Russell Westbrook was in and out of the lineup all season due to knee injuries. Durant likely solidified his MVP chances when he scored at least 25 points in 41 consecutive games, eclipsing Bulls legend Michael Jordan for the longest such streak during the three-point era. Along the way, Durant tallied a career-high 54 points against the Warriors and 51 points, including a game-winner, against the Raptors. All told, Durant scored at least 40 points in 14 different games this season.

Voting results for MVP (total points in brackets):

1) Kevin Durant (1232)
    2) LeBron James (891)
    3) Blake Griffin (434)
    4) Joakim Noah (322)
    5) James Harden (85)
    6) Stephan Curry (66)
    7) Chris Paul (45)
    8) Al Jefferson (34)
    9) Paul George (33)
    10) LaMarcus Aldridge (26)
    11) Kevin Love (25)
    12) Tim Duncan (21)
    13) Tony Parker (21)
    14) Dirk Nowitzki (7)
    15) Carmelo Anthony (4)
    16) Goran Dragic (3)
    17) Mike Conley (1)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,472 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Might as well ask it now, but what next for the following teams after their opening round elimination from the Playoffs.. ?

Chicago Bulls
    Have Boozer shot. Repeatedly if necessary, just to ensure there's no chance of him ever coming back.

Have D.Rose rebuild like Robocop or something to keep him in working order.

Use available cap space, of which there's a good bit with Deng and Boozer out of the way, to bring in a volume scorer. If they can play D, all the better.

Import Mirotic, although realistically, I don't see him coming across until 2015.

Use the two draft picks wisely.

Have Boozer shot. Repeatedly if necessary, just to ensure there's no chance of him ever coming back.

Ha, I think that'll be one of the highlights of Bulls' off-season if/when Boozer gets amnestied.

• Advertisement

Ding dong, The Preacher is gone!
    Golden St. Warriors
    @warriors
    OFFICIAL: The #Warriors have relieved Head Coach Mark Jackson of his duties

Ding dong, The Preacher is gone!

Should've happened ages ago. Steve Kerr's name being bounced around for the job already as he was close to signing with the Knicks. Imo, the Warriors would be a perfect team for him

Don't get all the love for Kerr myself, now the Lakers and GSW are looking for him as well as the Knicks. Everyone forget how much he messed up the GM role in Phoenix?

Should've happened ages ago. Steve Kerr's name being bounced around for the job already as he was close to signing with the Knicks. Imo, the Warriors would be a perfect team for him
    Don't get all the love for Kerr myself, now the Lakers and GSW are looking for him as well as the Knicks. Everyone forget how much he messed up the GM role in Phoenix?

Funny enough, I had suggested SVG or Hollins for them on the ol Tweet machine. Not long after them two and Kerr were confirmed were confirmed as the names under consideration. #ITK

Fancy that Jackson is off to Lakerland.

Emotional speech from Mr. MVP.

I wish Perkins texted me at night, lucky sod :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Should never have let him go IMO. He was so good in that 2011 Finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

The sacking of Mark Jackson has the bay area pretty much divided, with both sides making pretty valid points.
    Supporters of Jackson make the point that he took over a franchise which was one of the biggest jokes in the NBA and gave them back to back playoff appearances in a stacked Western division.
    He has the players support and commitment.
    They actually play defense and up tempo basketball.

On the other hand people really question his coaching ability, yea he can give a speach but his x & o are poor.
    Some of the very poor performances at home toward the end of the season
    Getting rid of his assistants and his poor relationship with Joe Lacob.
    Too much emphasis on God which if you dont buy into, you are somewhat excluded.

For me, you have to give him some respect for what he has achieved but I think he is a poor coach and the whole religion thing is just crazy.
    Lets not forget, this franchises turnaround came with the change of ownership not the coaching of Mark Jackson, it was the emergence of Steph Curry that has put the team on the map.
    I also believe that Warriors fans should just take a step back in thinking they are contenders, this team has been a joke for a long time, now they are suddenly decent, people expect a trip to the finals, nope, they are not that strong, potentially yes but not now.
    I hope they have a pedigree coach lined up cos this could backfire, I think Thompsons and Currys contracts are up in the next 2 years, whats stopping them from saying, we dont like how Mark was treated, we aint signing.

Steve Kerr...Another rookie coach...not too sure about that one

R.C. Buford wins Exec of the Year and Pop getting Coach of the Year.

• Advertisement

BREAKING NEWS:
    Nick Young @NickSwagyPYoung
    I'll be the new coach

If only. I'd pay to see that :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement