Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deer park hotel in howth closed

Options
  • 21-04-2014 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭

Hi does anybody know what happened with the deer park hotel in howth just visited it's site and found it was closed after 40 years
    http://www.deerparkhotel.ie/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Combo of poor management and building not up to purpose.

Golf remains open and there's some less than inspiring plan for foot golf on the Grace O'Malley course.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

an awful shame worked there years ago cannot believe they are doing that to the grace o malley course

• Registered Users Posts: 19 MacDurce

Will it reopen under new management or is that it...I always wanted to stay there and never got the chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

MacDurce wrote: »
    Will it reopen under new management or is that it...I always wanted to stay there and never got the chance

They would want to do some serious work on the place if they do plan on reopening. It is worn, shabby and dated.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 BalbrigganGirl

shame was a lovely hotel in it's heyday and the location is stunning - could have been so much more in the past few years

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

an awful shame worked there years ago cannot believe they are doing that to the grace o malley course

Also worked there a number of years ago. Not surprised or in any way disappointed to see it go. At least with it shutting down there's the potential of SOME level of change. Badly run, badly maintained and out of date hotel.
    shame was a lovely hotel in it's heyday and the location is stunning - could have been so much more in the past few years

Could have been a lot more. The ONLY thing it had going for it in recent times is its location. You can blame the management for their stingy attitudes and not investing properly in it or running it properly.

Also worked there a number of years ago. Not surprised or in any way disappointed to see it go. At least with it shutting down there's the potential of SOME level of change. Badly run, badly maintained and out of date hotel.

Could have been a lot more. The ONLY thing it had going for it in recent times is its location. You can blame the management for their stingy attitudes and not investing properly in it or running it properly.

very true it was aching for investment could have been a very profitable hotel if there was money spent on it. not to be unfortunately shame

MacDurce wrote: »

Nursing home.

Bar to remain open to golfers.

Nursing home.

Bar to remain open to golfers.
    a nursing home? i just heard there is talk of converting it to holiday apartments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

a nursing home? i just heard there is talk of converting it to holiday apartments

more apartments in howth, just whats needed.

did they not spend on a new section or leisure centre in the hotel a few years ago? havent been there in ages but was heading towards outdated then. wonder is lord howth or whatever his name is still around.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I don't know how accurate it is but it came from a normally reliable source of gossip :P

• Registered Users Posts: 23,957 ✭✭✭✭phog

It was in a great location but the hotel was drab, poorly fitted carpets, stale decor were my first and last impressions when I stayed there last year.

Yeah, I don't know how accurate it is but it came from a normally reliable source of gossip :P

i may be wrong you never know

bit off topic but howth hotel related, any one know whats going on with the baily court and what the plans are for that

neris wrote: »
    bit off topic but howth hotel related, any one know whats going on with the baily court and what the plans are for that

Planning granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

PERMISSION GRANTED FOR RE-DEVELOPMENT OF THE BAILEY COURT HOTEL SITE
    Posted on October 2, 2013 | Comments Off

On September 20th Fingal County Council granted permission for redevelopment of the old Bailey Court Hotel in Main Street, Howth.

The planning permission allows for the existing hotel building to be demolished and replaced by apartments. It has been granted subject to sixteen conditions.

For further information on the application and the conditions attached to the planning permission click here.
    http://averilpower.ie/?p=5036
    http://planning.fingalcoco.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayUrl?theApnID=F13A/0110&backURL=%3Ca%20href=wphappcriteria.display?paSearchKey=946486%3ESearch%20Criteria%3C/a%3E%20%3E%20%3Ca%20href=%27wphappsearchres.displayResultsURL?ResultID=1003977%26StartIndex=1%26SortOrder=rgndat,apnid%26DispResultsAs=WPHAPPSEARCHRES%26BackURL=%3Ca%20href=wphappcriteria.display?paSearchKey=946486%3ESearch%20Criteria%3C/a%3E%27%3ESearch%20Results%3C/a%3E

Planning granted.

thanks id heard that someone at one stage in or abouts 2007 had planned to turn it into apartments with boat sheds for small trailerable sail boats for a certain of the howth population

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭W1ll1s

Cannot believe this hotel is gone. Remember a time when there where 5 hotels around Howth,now they are ALL gone,a real shame.
    Amazing after 40 years in business this tread is all i can find about it closing down.
    Sure it was not 5 star but the price was a long way from 5 star also!
    The location was stunning.
    A big loss............

W1ll1s wrote: »
    Cannot believe this hotel is gone. Remember a time when there where 5 hotels around Howth,now they are ALL gone,a real shame.
    Amazing after 40 years in business this tread is all i can find about it closing down.
    A big loss............

It was badly run, the location was inconvenient at best (although nice views), it was shabby and outdated with unhappy staff (thanks to poor management). Let's be honest here, it's actually no loss at all.

W1ll1s wrote: »
    A big loss............

Em unless I was seeing things the marine looked very open to me this evening.

deerpark was well behind the curve when it came to celtic tiger hotel trends. they were only putting a pool & gym in as the bubble burst. the hotel & golf course were only built as a tactic to avoid a CPO in the 70s by dublin corporation. If they had plowed money into it could have been a good retreat hotel.

• Advertisement

Em unless I was seeing things the marine looked very open to me this evening.

deerpark was well behind the curve when it came to celtic tiger hotel trends. they were only putting a pool & gym in as the bubble burst. the hotel & golf course were only built as a tactic to avoid a CPO in the 70s by dublin corporation. If they had plowed money into it could have been a good retreat hotel.

the marine is in Sutton not Howth

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Deerpark was in a stunning location & had spectacular views but was never an option for any family event, wedding, meal out etc in over 30 years. Let's hope it's razed & something worthy of the views & location put in instead .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

really why would the corp cpo it

really why would the corp cpo it

they were going to fill it with local authority housing the only way it could be circumvented was to put a public amenity on it that's where the golf course and hotel came from

In addition to the above, Gaitsford-St Lawerence has also done some strategic ringfencing with the Howth Celtic and Howth GAA grounds, and the conversion of part of the through road into Old Castle Avenue and possibly the conversion of Corr Castle into apartments.

tricky D wrote: »
    In addition to the above, Gaitsford-St Lawerence has also done some strategic ringfencing with the Howth Celtic and Howth GAA grounds, and the conversion of part of the through road into Old Castle Avenue and possibly the conversion of Corr Castle into apartments.

also flogged a large field on Thormnaby road beside the nursing home off a few years ago thats going to be developed into houses. developers have their sign in

Originally all of Howth was owned by his family but that horse grazing field currently known as Evans' Field (for good reason;)) has been owned by someone else in recent times up until the purchase for development. That's according to someone from the horsey set who would be in the know. I'll get another source in the next few days.

tricky D wrote: »
    Originally all of Howth was owned by his family but that horse grazing field currently known as Evans' Field (for good reason;)) has been owned by someone else in recent times up until the purchase for development. That's according to someone from the horsey set who would be in the know. I'll get another source in the next few days.

Yeah I don't think that was castle land in recent times. We used to graze horses on castle land but that never featured.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭W1ll1s

That horses field (Evans' Field?) from what i can gather,has had a lot of stop start in the planning dept over the last few years,looks like its at the stop stage at the moment.....................

• Advertisement

Initially they wanted 32 units and to destroy the wood at the north part of the property. This was rejected in favour of 19 detached houses and retaining the wood.

neris might well be right that it was actually Gaitsford-St Lawrence who sold the field recently and he had only leased the field though over a long period which would be one of his modus operandi.

Advertisement