Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will I go to prison? Would I get deported?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

If you're not working you should tell the judge that and ask about legal aid. Or contact a solicitor in advance and ask them about legal aid

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Shady Tady

If you're not working you should tell the judge that and ask about legal aid. Or contact a solicitor in advance and ask them about legal aid

It will probably be adjourned 5 times at the behest of the solicitor and cost the state thousands! That's the real theft in all of this!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

I can't believe some of you "liking" her "OH I will change" post. The only reason "she" now will change is because "she" got caught. She was more than happy to shop lift 77€ worth of stuff from a shop simply because she didn't have the money to pay for it. How many struggling families in Ireland would love to pilfer 77€ worth of stuff to keep them going during the week but they don't because they have a moral decency. "She" was more than happy to use someone's bank card. Anyone here had their card stolen before/identity stolen? The amount of shíte you have to go through to sort that all out is unreal. Miss Criminal it annoys me beyond belief that our justice system is as castrated as it is. A year in prison would help you "change".

"I feel really stupid for this"....bollix...you feel stupid because you got caught TWICE.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Newgirl19

ElChe32 wrote: »
    I can't believe some of you "liking" her "OH I will change" post. The only reason "she" now will change is because "she" got caught. She was more than happy to shop lift 77€ worth of stuff from a shop simply because she didn't have the money to pay for it. How many struggling families in Ireland would love to pilfer 77€ worth of stuff to keep them going during the week but they don't because they have a moral decency. "She" was more than happy to use someone's bank card. Anyone here had their card stolen before/identity stolen? The amount of shíte you have to go through to sort that all out is unreal. Miss Criminal it annoys me beyond belief that our justice system is as castrated as it is. A year in prison would help you "change".

Thanks for ur opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Wishing you the very best for your future

Gobsmacked.

If this is not a wind up, I hope the State takes a hard line with you and you become another country's problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Shady Tady wrote: »
    It will probably be adjourned 5 times at the behest of the solicitor and cost the state thousands! That's the real theft in all of this!

No, you're wrong. The real theft is the ACTUAL THEFT. Laws were broken so justice should be served. We could go on an on about retrials, solicitors milking every penny out of every case etc but the fact is under Irish law when you steal you (should) get punished.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Newgirl19 wrote: »
    So I got shop lifting in tesco today. The Garda was called and I got evicted I got a court date. The amount was 77 euro in total.
    This is my first time in court. Will I get sent to prison? I'm 20 will it be in my records for ever now
    I'm not Irish will I get sent home? I had a previous warning for something else. Trying to use a ATM card that's wasn't mine but no money taken.

So you Shoplifted "Today" (a Bank Holiday weekend) and are already
    • Evicted
    • Got a Court Date

Did not realise things were this efficient...

GerB40 wrote: »
    No, you're wrong. The real theft is the ACTUAL THEFT. Laws were broken so justice should be served. We could go on an on about retrials, solicitors milking every penny out of every case etc but the fact is under Irish law when you steal you (should) get punished.

Both thefts!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Wind-up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 96 ✭✭Cucking Funt

If its not a wind up, I hope you are deported to hell, as a man who got his ATM card done at the time he was facing life saving treatment. Once a thief always a thief, leave the country please madam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

She's been cross posting this in 3 forums. One of them was the courier forum.. I think she's either stupid, or she's a troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

This sounds like a wind up. I wouldn't be surprised if the OP was a journalist looking for tastey quotes to write about how racist people are...

Foreigners don't belong. It's not good enough to take our jobs, now they have to take our food. Deport them all, send the bastards home to be fecked. WE DONT WANT THEM, DOWN WITH THIS SORT OF THING.

Is that tasty enough?

Newgirl 19 what would happen if someone did what you did in your homeland and got caught?

Newgirl 19 what would happen if someone did what you did in your homeland and got caught?

They get sent here.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Newgirl19

Foreigners don't belong. It's not good enough to take our jobs, now they have to take our food. Deport them all, send the bastards home to be fecked. WE DONT WANT THEM, DOWN WITH THIS SORT OF THING.

Is that tasty enough?

Very....thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Prison nope

Unless you stole garlic and called them apple's

Then you get six and a half years

It's quite amazing the way people can't see the main issue in that case as being serious tax evasion just because apples and garlic are mentioned.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

70% of made up facts are made up. It's about 200 quid, and would be exceptionally rare to have 5 adjournments

70% of made up facts are made up. It's about 200 quid, and would be exceptionally rare to have 5 adjournments

Spending more to get her legal aid than she robbed. Problem with this country is *put over dramatic issues here*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

So I got shop lifting in tesco today. The Garda was called and I got evicted I got a court date. The amount was 77 euro in total.
    This is my first time in court. Will I get sent to prison? I'm 20 will it be in my records for ever now
    I'm not Irish will I get sent home? I had a previous warning for something else. Trying to use a ATM card that's wasn't mine but no money taken.

Re criminal charge: highely unlikely to get prison.

Re immigration issues, the warning and conviction will come to the attention OC the minister. If you have status under EU law via marriage etc, then EU law makes it rather difficult to remove you.

If status is via Irish Immigration law, the same issues to consider are

Length if time in Ireland, the basis of being in Ireland, parentage to any Irish / EU children, marriage to Irish / EU/ Refugee spouses., whether you work, whether your country of orginates is deemed safe, previous criminal record if any, likelihood of committing offences.

What's the difference with EU immigration law and Irish? The latter is purely discretionary while the former has strict rules and precdent and a clear directive. (eu law says it aint enough to just have convictions, you must show a likelihood of re offending, when looming at the nature of the offence and other circumstances)

If you are a stamp 2 student, that might have problems when renewing.

I would not be too worried.

If, however, you intend to Naturalused, you must disclose your convictions, failure normally means automatic refusal. Depend on your circumstances, and otherwise "good conduct" you might be okay, at least with the current Minister. All depends on the facts

You really need to stay out of trouble.

• Advertisement

But will I go to prison? Or be deported?

I learn my lesson

Considering that you got caught with another's atm card, whether intentionally or by accident, one doubts that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Lol do you even know the district court rates. Each adjournment gets the solicitor about €50 you hang around court all day for €50. A district court case in on 5 days will cost less than €500. Criminal legal aid in ireland is amongst the cheapest in the world and I can assure you no one gets rich from criminal legal aid. In a circuit court case no lawyer gets paid for any adjournment before the trial starts, the barrister gets €1144 for the day the trial starts and the solicitor gets less than €900 that is to cover all work done and the first day of the indictment on average it will work out less than €30 an hour as even a simple case will involve 30-40 hours work. Criminal legal aid has been cut by in excess of 30%.

But to give actual facts on the first day of DC solicitor gets €201.00 it is then adjourned to allow copy statements to be served. On the second day €50 and the accused is given adjournment to say if he is pleading or wants a trial, on the final day €50 the matter is usually disposed of.

oldyouth wrote: »
    Gobsmacked.

If this is not a wind up, I hope the State takes a hard line with you and you become another country's problem

Please, Alan Shatter won't take a hard line

Despite the previous regime, where you would unlikely get citizenship if you claimed welfare for 3 years before application and at least 2 or 3 dishonest criminal offences, ie theft, you got refused citizenship. Under shatter, you might still get it!!!

Of course residency is a different issue, shatter might not have much leeway if eu law is relevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Please, Alan Shatter won't take a hard line

Despite the previous regime, where you would unlikely get citizenship if you claimed welfare for 3 years before application and at least 2 or 3 dishonest criminal offences, ie theft, you got refused citizenship. Under shatter, you might still get it!!!

Of course residency is a different issue, shatter might not have much leeway if eu law is relevant.

Under the old regime you got refused for any welfare payment and any conviction. I know of a case the only conviction was non production on demand of a driving licence. The person was a highly qualified and had a high salary.

Spending more to get her legal aid than she robbed. Problem with this country is *put over dramatic issues here*

It costs about €1.5bn to pay for the Gardai per annum, €300m for our prisons, €100m for our courts, €40bn for our prosecution service and just under €50m for the legal aid budget. So, roughly 92.5% of the justice spend is on the prosecution side, 5% in the Courts, and 2.5% on the legal aid defence side.

Put another way, it costs (if we assume the same overall proportion of spend in this individual case) approximately 37 times more for the gardai to arrest detain charge and prosecute her.

The legal aid budget of €50m represents a drop in the ocean as regards the total state spending on justice, and there are no doubt circumstances where you can say that legal aid should/should not have been granted, or other changes.

But that small amount is very often the only thing that stands between the state and the citizen, and has the capacity to prevent multiple miscarriages of justice and other breaches of the rights of the citizen.

Of course, you are perfectly entitled to criticise legal aid solicitors to your hearts content. And if you should be so unfortunate that you end up on the wrong side of a criminal charge and can't afford private representation, they will defend you notwithstanding your criticisms.

If you really wanted to save money, perhaps we should legalise shoplifting?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement