Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thailand!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Tucker688 wrote: »
    Hi Lads,

Me and 5 of my friends (all lads early 20's) are heading out to Thailand on the 27th of May for 3 weeks, All we have booked at the moment is flights.

We plan on going to KOH SAMUI for two days when we land, then to KO PHANGAN for five for the Full moon party etc. Then we will be moving on to the other islands of PHI PHI and KO TAO and then back to BANGKOK for the last two nights.

Any advice on how much money we will need and things to do speaking from experience?

I'm doing something quite similar to this. Group of 7 lads going for 17 days, flying out this Thursday night!!

Flights and accommodation is booked for 5 nights in KO PHANGAN. From there on we plan on going to Phuket and Ko Phi Phi but nothing has been booked yet. We plan on getting a flight from KOH SAMUI to Phuket as we're relatively stuck on time and flight is cheap enough. Would we be okay to book accommodation and travel while we're over there? I'm guessing so judging by some of the comments here.

As for money - Will I bring all cash, or is it risky relying somewhat on a card? lemmno mentioned he/she spent €1200 in 3 weeks, so maybe around €800/900 for 17 days?

Lastly, would you recommend bringing a small suitcase or backpack?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lemmno

She ;)

You'd get away with a suitcase or backpack, makes no difference for 17 days. The backpack is just handy really as it's not as heavy and stops you overpacking!
    Some places are grand to book while you're there, but for a small place like phi phi I'd book that ASAP. Places there book out in advance. It's a tiny island.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭sheroman01

lemmno wrote: »
    She ;)

You'd get away with a suitcase or backpack, makes no difference for 17 days. The backpack is just handy really as it's not as heavy and stops you overpacking!
    Some places are grand to book while you're there, but for a small place like phi phi I'd book that ASAP. Places there book out in advance. It's a tiny island.

Haha! Thanks for getting back to me!

Okay that's good to know about phi phi, I'll let the others know.

I just bought a backpack...with wheels, a great compromise! So should do fine!

Only thing now is money - will I bring enough money to do me for the 17 days and just use card as a backup? I know it's hard to estimate but roughly how much would I need each day?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Ed_Stephens

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Haha! Thanks for getting back to me!

Okay that's good to know about phi phi, I'll let the others know.

I just bought a backpack...with wheels, a great compromise! So should do fine!

Only thing now is money - will I bring enough money to do me for the 17 days and just use card as a backup? I know it's hard to estimate but roughly how much would I need each day?

It's not hard but fairly impossible to guess how much money you will need without knowing what you want to do. If its lounging at the beach and buying your beer in 7/11 and eating at the cheaper options you can get away with 30 Euro a day but throw in a few tours and visit a few girly bars and that will easily double or treble. Easy to do Thailand cheap or expensive and all points in between. Bring cash, change it over there, transfer money to your credit card and ring the bank to tell them when you are going. You can take up to 10,000 baht out in one go and will be charged 180baht for doing so plus whatever your bank charges.

Advertisement