Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Grand National

Options
  • 18-04-2014 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭

Irish Grand National Ante-post

I had a lot of difficulty finding anything I liked here as a lot of the main fancies are in my view too high in the weights. That is until I came across Away We Go, he was 2nd last year and followed that up with a very good 3rd in the Bet365 Gold Cup. That was the form of his life and although he hasn’t run at all this year yet, I don’t think that is any issue as I’m 100% sure that he will only be interested in this race. He is only up 5lbs which is do-able and I think he will be helped by the better ground than last year. I just can’t see him being a 25/1 shot looking at the other more fancied horses and he looks the best value in the field at the moment. I’m also pretty sure he will go off much shorter even if Willie Mullins has never won this.

2 Points EW 25/1 Boyles NRNB 5 places.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Only one that catches my eye is The Westener Boy at 20/1, always thought he looked like he could be a good horse after winning a novice in a canter. Was backed off the boards into clear favourite in the Theystes that he fell in off a mark of 131. Only two runs since over hurdles, he ran really well last time, keeping on well. Only carries 10-1. the risk is you don't know with the owner if this is the day for him or another one of his

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭shy-tall-knight

That's my main concern about The Westener Boy, I could see him kept for another day when Cause of Causes and Shutthefrontdoor look to have such good chances. Also the drying ground might not be ideal for him. But on the other hand you could argue that his two runs back over hurdles were to protect his mark over fences.
    He could be thrown in but think I'd like to see some support on the day and see how betfair assesses's him closer to race time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Only one that catches my eye is The Westener Boy at 20/1, always thought he looked like he could be a good horse after winning a novice in a canter. Was backed off the boards into clear favourite in the Theystes that he fell in off a mark of 131. Only two runs since over hurdles, he ran really well last time, keeping on well. Only carries 10-1. the risk is you don't know with the owner if this is the day for him or another one of his

I think all his horses will be trying. Its a race he really likes and probably won't leave any of them short. The Westerner Boy is the one I'm interested in too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

There's hardly a horse in there that isnt going to out perform their handicap, with 6 JP horses making it a lottery, think i can leave this one alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,393 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Have done Los Amigos for the sole reason that it's about the last horse I would have considered for the race. That tactic seems to have worked pretty well for these national races.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭ste2010

Have done Los Amigos for the sole reason that it's about the last horse I would have considered for the race. That tactic seems to have worked pretty well for these national races.

That's the approach I was considering taking for aintree. Create a shortlist of potential winners on form..draw a line through them ..then look for a donkey

A friend of mine has just told me that he has €500 e/w on Golden Wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭MoscowFlyer

Los Amigos is apparently going great guns in training. Im aboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Is it raining at Fairyhouse? Probably softening up a bit now. Think it'll be very fair ground they're tomorrow. Suit most horses. All the ones I'm interested have shortened up and can't decide. It's a lottery to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Farty88

Any one think Cantlow will do it tomorrow or is he a donkey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Farty88

Anybody any tips for tomorrow's grand national I think Cantlow is not a bad tip but then again shutthefrontdoor isnt a bad tip either I cant decide help please

Seen that Corals were 25/1 for this, so tried to get €10 on e/w.

My bet was submitted to a trader and I was offered half that.

What a shambles of an operation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Alfie Sherrin Pricewise?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Alfie Sherrin Pricewise?

yep
    that and shutthefrontdoor

Farty88 wrote: »
    Anybody any tips for tomorrow's grand national I think Cantlow is not a bad tip but then again shutthefrontdoor isnt a bad tip either I cant decide help please

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057192518

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭unitedrover

I really really like Cause of Causes. He has been terribly unlucky in some races lately but he clearly is very talented. Beaten a nose in the Paddy Power and probably could have won the Kim Muir in Cheltenham only for a mistake at the last costing him momentum. Even though he won the Ladbroke over 2 miles and came close in the Galway hurdle, his form over fences this season shows that the distance shouldn't be that much of a problem. The main negatives are his age and his weight when you look at previous renewals. However, in relation to his weight, there have been far fewer runners over 11 stone than below so by the law of averages there will be more winners in the " under 11 stone" category. I think he will go close and I hope he can take victory tomorrow because a near finish here again will likely handicap him in future races.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Was told to back Pendra and he's 25's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Of JP's lot I like The Westerner Boy the most. I am amazed Shutthefrontdoor is so short, I am very likely to place lay him.

Los Amigos is apparently going great guns in training. Im aboard.
    N/R :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

What time is this race? I know nothing about horse racing, but would like to back a horse in the GN. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭del roy

Seen that Corals were 25/1 for this, so tried to get €10 on e/w.

My bet was submitted to a trader and I was offered half that.

What a shambles of an operation.

For me to get 50 e/w on streams of whiskey I had to have
    15e/w
    10e/w
    10e/w
    15e/w

Over a space of 3 hours.

sopretty wrote: »
    What time is this race? I know nothing about horse racing, but would like to back a horse in the GN. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

5:00 Irish Grand National

I’ve already gone with 2pts EW Ante-Post on Away We Go at 25/1 5 places and he is now available at 40/1 in a few places.

Rogue Angels run at Cheltenham on decent ground looks good considering it wasn't in a handicap off level weights and compares well with Shutthefrontdoors run in the same race considering he is 12lbs better at the weights today. He was disappointing since but if he can reproduce his run at Cheltenham over this shorter trip which might just suit he should be in the firing line with only 9:09 on his back here with the 5lbs claimer on. 25/1 looks a decent price.. I’m also going with a min bet on the outsider of the field who on the face of it has very little chance. Oscars Well ran well enough at Cheltenham over hurdles until he made a mistake 2 out and although this is much further than he has tried before he might have a tiny (and I mean tiny) chance if he takes to this trip in the ground. He has been given a slight chance by the handicapper with only 11:00 on his back and 100/1 has some margin in it. I’ll have another min bet on Rich Revival who looks a chaser going places when completing a hat trick last year until he pulled up in this race. He ran well last time out in a hurdle and gets in here on a workable mark at a big price. He is still an unexposed horse and could well be up to this, presuming this was his target all year.

1 Point EW 25/1 Rogue Angel 5 places Various
    ½ Point EW 100/1 Oscars Well 5 places StanJames
    ½ Point win 33/1 Rich Revival Betfair

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

I have him as one of my bets. The problem is, Matt Chapmans of ATR notes him too, and rule of thumb is to do the opposite what he says.

I expect Golden Wonder to at least place.

He ran a fine race the last day, top weight, and cruised the finishing for a credible 4 th, after a long lay off. He likes good ground and should be capable of the distance, hope he is not tired from the last race. The jockey knows the horse very well. And we all know Hughes is doing really well at the moment.the horse has not have to carry such a low weight in ages.moreover, he has experience of big fields. Galway race in August was interesting in that after his maiden hurdle (after many attempts) he shoots straight to fences and beats The field, spring heeled.

Tammy's Hill NR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Time form have Shuttheftontdoor top rates

Irish national is their free race of the day. Read it from Twitter and using my phone so can't link I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 30 scallion.eater

Hi lads,

Excuse my ignorance here. How does it generally work when your horse is a non runner. Example being I back Tammys Hill for the grand national. Is the bet lost or do I get a refund? Backed using an online App. It's showing as lost. Maybe it's refunded after the race has ran?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭dicky dunne

Sraid Padraig for me, was fairly unlucky at Cheltenham after horrendous mistake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Hi lads,

Excuse my ignorance here. How does it generally work when your horse is a non runner. Example being I back Tammys Hill for the grand national. Is the bet lost or do I get a refund? Backed using an online App. It's showing as lost. Maybe it's refunded after the race has ran?

What day did you back it? If you backed it ante post (before final declarations) then the bet is a loser if the horse doesn't run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Taff

Time form have Shuttheftontdoor top rates

Irish national is their free race of the day. Read it from Twitter and using my phone so can't link I'm afraid

here's the link

https://www.timeform.com/Racing/RaceCard/Race/2014-04-21/208/5

They are also allowing access for free to the Timeform Jury service today and they have two selections -

The Timeform Jury give you the best verdict on Easter Monday's racing.

Huntingdon

14:00 1 pt 2 Thoresby

The conditionals handicap hurdle that opens the card at Huntingdon isn’t a strong race by any stretch of the imagination, so it’s no surprise to see the in-form Should I Stay at the top the market. There’s not much on his recent record to suggest he’s notably well treated, however, and the second favourite Thoresby, who races off his last winning mark, looks overpriced against him. Admittedly, Thoresby will need to do better than when last seen finishing fifth over C&D in December, but the absence since is a positive for one with a good record fresh, while today’s track, trip and ground present him with something like his optimum conditions. In race that probably won’t take much winning, a return to his best could well be enough for Thoresby to resume winning ways.

Chepstow

17:35 1 pt 9 Simply Charles

This three-mile handicap chase is a low-grade affair full of exposed, infrequent winners, and looks just the sort of race ripe for an unexposed one to take advantage. The one that fits that billing is Simply Charles, who steps back up in trip for just his second outing in a handicap, having shaped well when fourth in a well-contested race for the grade at Fontwell on the first one. Simply Charles could never land a telling blow that day at Fontwell, having been dropped out well off the pace, but made up a huge amount of late ground in the manner of a horse well up to winning handicaps from a BHA mark in the low-80s. He steps back up in trip this time, which looks sure to suit judged on the way he finished off then, and is well worth backing to confirm the promise of that run.

Advertisement