Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

energy vampires who you work with.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

JJayoo wrote: »
    OP you sound like a sh1t

What does a sh1t sound like?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

A close relative of the energy vampire is the chronic hypochondriac.

My neighbour always has something ailing her. Her kids are always sick. She has a constant pained, miserable look on her face. If it's not her back, it's a virus or bug, if it's not a pain in her head, it's a pain in her leg. Her son goes to same creche as mine and he's out more than he's in. Christ she's a miserable specimen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

"Ah come here to me - you must have SOME good news for us? No? Ah Jaysus that's awful, come back to us when you do sure."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Ssslip, ssslip, ssslip, plop?

We have one of those at work, who is so bad I'm actually looking for a new job just to get away from her. Even when something really great happens for her, it's "I'm just so devastated that <insert most recently dead relative regardless of whether or not she was ever even close to them or most recent ex-friend or ex-boyfriend> wont be here to see this".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

We have one of those at work, who is so bad I'm actually looking for a new job just to get away from her. Even when something really great happens for her, it's "I'm just so devastated that <insert most recently dead relative regardless of whether or not she was ever even close to them or most recent ex-friend or ex-boyfriend> wont be here to see this".

We must work together
    do we !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Wow! Having read that I must say my colleagues are fantastic!

We just crack jokes and talk about mad stuff.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Have you tried reminding them of Karma ? :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭Olive8585

I do know a few people like this, but try not to be too harsh on them because some people really do have sh1tter lives than others. I went through a really bad time for a couple of years in my mid twenties - constant health problems (loads of different things) which affected every aspect of my life, had a close relative and close friend die within a week of each other, just one thing after another and it really broke me down. Much better now thankfully, but I try to remember how awful that time was and be more sympathetic to people going through rubbish times. What I can't stand are people who have amazing lives and complain constantly anyway...people who just don't know how good they have it. Such as my colleague who has been complaining for the last week that her dad won't pay for first-class flights to Dubai, so she has to slum it in economy class....THAT is annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

I'm a bit of a grumpy old cnut at work and people are generally wary of me. This is a good strategy as I never have to listen to small-talk. If they started wearing my ear I'd ask them to stfu. and get on with the task at hand. As for sitting and listening to their guff, yeah right. I'm here for the money, give it to me and fcuk off tends to be my approach.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Dr. Zaius Dr. Zaius!

I worked with a woman like that. I think she only existed to spread her love of misery.
    I eventually stopped asking her how her weekends/days off were because it would only result in her complaining of the latest iillness she had and how she was bedridden all weekend. I had only ever witnessed a slight cough out of her! Funny how she was never sick Mon-Fri!
    It was the way she described her "illnesses" it would rival a Shakespearean play with the dramatics she put into her performances!
    It would suck the life out of you listening to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

Don't internalize it.

Let it go.

Have a set amount of time you spend with her listening to her.

Give her 15 mins of genuine compassion and if you can't help then that is it for the day. Move on.

Give yourself some you time everyday.

Appreciate her position but remember it is not yours.

Just comment to the person (Kindly after giving a min or so when the time is up) that you now have to concentrate on other things.

'I just have to focus on this now ' etc.

'I just need some quiet time'.

Play music.

Don't become bitter or hard. Balance it. Prioritize attention ....if someone is in tears about something lend them an ear obviously. Also if you think HR can help a person in crisis mention it.

But you do have to put your needs up there too without being awful about it. Don't feel bad about that. Do not demean your own needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

http://youtu.be/X_2ccFZyYn8?t=20s

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Wickers26

I used to live with a girl like that, always sick or complaining about someone in college or a lecturer. She had no friends because nobody could stomach her. I used to dread getting up in the morning and being cornered in the kitchen while she ****ed on about about her various illnesses and general misery. Even when I yawned in her face and left the room when she was mid speech she still didn't get the hint. Insufferable .i thought I'd never escape her. It was a painful experience, I especially pitied her boyfriend, god love him, imagine being bombarded with that ****e 24/7.

Olive8585 wrote: »
    I do know a few people like this, but try not to be too harsh on them because some people really do have sh1tter lives than others. I went through a really bad time for a couple of years in my mid twenties - constant health problems (loads of different things) which affected every aspect of my life, had a close relative and close friend die within a week of each other, just one thing after another and it really broke me down. Much better now thankfully, but I try to remember how awful that time was and be more sympathetic to people going through rubbish times. What I can't stand are people who have amazing lives and complain constantly anyway...people who just don't know how good they have it. Such as my colleague who has been complaining for the last week that her dad won't pay for first-class flights to Dubai, so she has to slum it in economy class....THAT is annoying.

Ye iget u but im talkin about this woman who knows nothing about me . We have worked together for 5 yrs.
    Ive always been the listening ear , but even if i change the topic it ALWAYS goes back to her.
    I have listenened to her THROUGH all her deaths bereavements and illnesses and it has worn on me cause NOT once has she asked well how are you.
    I started to distance myself from her for my own sanity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭omri

monflat wrote: »
    Not as many as her and anyways i dont talk about myself at all . Sure i just give out on boards.ie

You sound like an energy vampire yourself...affecting on a mass scale (through boards.ie) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Work with a few people who annoy the living sh1t out of me, one woman who'd rival Father Stone for the most boring voice of all time, monosyllabic droning with no changes no matter what mood she's in. And the total opposite woman where everything MUST BE SAID EXTREMELY LOUDLY AND SCREECHY AT ALL TIMES.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

There's a woman I've known for a few years, she ignores me (and I ignore her) but every so often she'll approach me at the bus stop or in town, and just ranting about her **** life, like how she didn't get promoted in mcdonalds, and slipping in constant reminders about how great her boyfriend is. **** off.

omri wrote: »
    You sound like an energy vampire yourself...affecting on a mass scale (through boards.ie) :)

Yea Yea yea thats it . .. im lucky i posted in after hours so .

Advertisement