Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a Job Interview Suit in Dublin FAST

Options
  • 17-04-2014 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,887 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, as the thread title says I need to get a suit ASAP and I dont have the slightest clue about them. Is there anywhere I can just walk in and ask for what Im looking for, just a plain dark suit, shirt, tie, nothing flashy just enough to get through an interview and presentation without looking like an ass. Again, absolutely zero experience in this area and dont own anything besides jeans and tshirts.

Preferably without breaking the bank aswell, where is the best place to go for someone in my situation please? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Try Marks and Spencers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

You can pay anything for a suit, i say just go to nearest shopping centre to where you are living find a Dunnes or walk around and maybe Burtons / Bests or some local shop that sells them.

You can pick up a jacket / ....

Actually, now that i think of it,.....is this a joke / troll post?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,887 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

BKWDR wrote: »
    Actually, now that i think of it,.....is this a joke / troll post?
    Pretty tame troll post? You hang around a clothes forum and you've never seen someone asking about a suit before? :confused:

Ill give M&S a look so, thanks.

Thargor wrote: »
    Pretty tame troll post? You hang around a clothes forum and you've never seen someone asking about a suit before? :confused:

Ill give M&S a look so, thanks.

I would find it odd that someone would not know where to buy clothes.

Good luck with your interview...

I know where to buy clothes, I just dont know any good places to buy interview suits.

Good luck with hanging around bulletin boards in the middle of the day trying to start arguments...

• Advertisement

I know where to buy clothes, I just dont know any good places to buy interview suits.

I hear clothes shops are good??

Smart reply aside, Like M&S, Dunnes, Penneys etc. Nearly ANY menswear clothes shop would have some sort of slacks / jacket combo. They will also have a shirt and tie combo pack for 20e

Usual deals otherwise in *suit shops* such as Bests or formal wear shops you should pick up a matched suit for baseline price of 120e up, i've found...

I wasn't being smart, i saw the post on the main boards page. Just found it alarming that someone wouldn't know where to go to buy a suit, but you're right, i don't know your background etc so i shouldn't mock

Theres nothing wrong with my background you sarcastic <SNIP>, I wanted advice on where to buy an interview suit these days as its been about 7 years since I bought one and wanted suggestions.

<SNIP>

Theres nothing wrong with my background you sarcastic <SNIP>, I wanted advice on where to buy an interview suit these days as its been about 7 years since I bought one and wanted suggestions.

<SNIP>

You seem nice

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@BKWDR If you have any suspicions about a post, don't drag the thread off topic with them. Use the Report Post function instead to alert a moderator.

@Thargor Please don't continue arguments when they start. It ruins the thread.

F&A encourages helpful posting. If you can't be helpful, then you're better off not posting.

dudara

<SNIP> Stop continuing the argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

dudara wrote: »
    @BKWDR If you have any suspicions about a post, don't drag the thread off topic with them. Use the Report Post function instead to alert a moderator.

@Thargor Please don't continue arguments when they start. It ruins the thread.

F&A encourages helpful posting. If you can't be helpful, then you're better off not posting.

dudara
    So you're perfectly happy to leave his "try a clothes shop" reply and the ones questioning my background and intelligence but I cant point out that he'd previously asked for help with eating vegetables? Maybe to him buying a suit is a regular occurence whereas eating 5 portions of fruit and veg is a daily occurrence for me.

Just delete the <SNIP> thread then and Ill ask somewhere else, sorry to bother you all by daring to ask about buying suits in a forum called fashion and appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The vegetables comments are irrelevant to this thread and you know it. I've requested that the post stay on topic.

dudara

And I told you to delete the thread so do it please.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Well, that escalated quickly! :eek:

Thargor, how about calming down and reading back over the posts? You'll see that, whilst bemused, BKWDR gave very helpful answers to your query. You're the one who's started getting abusive out of the blue to imagined slights.

Suits aren't an unusual item of clothing. I'd wager they're available in a majority of men's chain shops anyway. So as the others have said, M&S or Next are probably your best bets for affordable decent quality suits. M&S in particular have a range of slim fitting suits which are great for slim men. Dunnes and even Penneys should have a few suits and places like Zara, H&M, Topman etc will have shirts, ties and shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭bduffy

Best Menswear have decent suits going from e150 up. Plenty of deals going with the summer coming up. I went 8 years between buying Suit no.1 and Suit no. 2, so the question isn't unusual....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Only if I were you, I would avoid Topman / H&M / etc for the shirt / tie option. As they are going to horrible looking with "modern" collars and skinny ties and so on.

You can actually get everything in M&S - a suit will set you back about 260 quid, but they have cheaper ones too (which look cheaper). Go for as plain a navy as you can, something like this:

marks-and-spencer-england-euro-2012-suit-profile.jpg

Get a shirt with a nice spread collar, either a plain white or a plain light blue, like this:

112_ag.png

Get some plain black shoes, make sure they are not pointy and make sure they are polished:

2-15598-asosblack.jpg

Finally get a tie that looks a bit like this:

italian-handmade-silk-woven-polka-dot-navy-and-ecru-tie.jpg

That should be a pretty decent look and you should look professional and business like. You didn't state what kind of job it is for, but I'm guessing its not going to be one where you wear a suit every day, but there's no harm looking top dollar when you go in for the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Interviews are stressful. I hear you...If you go to a local men's clothing shop (not a chain) there will be a staff member available to advise you. They can be really helpful if shopping alone or in need of a second opinion. Most independent shops have a few suit deals these days. Shouldn't break the bank. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Marks and Spencers and Next are your best bet. The suits there are good quality and wouldn't date. The also don't get that shiny look that some cheaper suits get when they have been cleaned a few times.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement