Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very Fussy Eater - Ways to eat Veg?

Options
  • 19-06-2013 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I am 30 years of age, fairly active, wouldn't consider myself overweight for my size although i'm sure if i wasn't as active that would all change.

My trouble is, i have never eaten vegetables bar potato (mash / chips etc). It doesn't stop with veg, i probably would have a very poor diet but am looking to vary what i eat.

My question, for people who are similarly fussy but changed, is how to get about eating or introducing veg to your meals? I've juiced and that was grand as it is really the crunch or consistency that makes me gag when i think of eating veg.

Just looking for ways or techniques or recipes to broaden my diet.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Would you eat soup?

There's many different ways to cook veg and not all veg are the same. Experiment with steaming/roasting etc.

It's not the best suggestion but I know one of my friends wouldn't eat veg and I put the Green Isle roasting vegetables in front of her and she managed to eat them. Maybe try them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Would you eat soup?

There's many different ways to cook veg and not all veg are the same. Experiment with steaming/roasting etc.

It's not the best suggestion but I know one of my friends wouldn't eat veg and I put the Green Isle roasting vegetables in front of her and she managed to eat them. Maybe try them?

I did try soup a year or so ago and gave up on it but is something I could revisit. I might have just had a bad soup and the one I did like was riddled in cream so was counter productive.

I will put the green isle ones on the list to try. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

it's psychological.

you probably do eat a lot of veg but its cooked into a meal and you aren't consciously aware of it. Spag bol for eg should be made from carrots/celery/onion chopped fine and softened in butter before the meat is added. actually a lot of sauces in italy are made like this.

But you probably weren't aware that spag bol has this much veg in it.

most likely you are afraid of the stuff that was forced on you as a kid: sliced carrots, peas, sprouts all boiled to death on the hob until all flavor is removed and then splatted on your plate were you were forced to eat it. even to this day I can't eat peas like that without gagging.

steam them add a little mint, some grated lime zest and chilli flakes and topped with butter and they're lovely tho.
    fry carrots in butter in a pan with a lid, add a little cinnamon and they are great.
    Sprouts fried in garlic oil, with thin slices of bacon, then simmered in a little chicken stock will change a Sunday lunch.

stir a load of veg (carrots, peppers, garlic, sweet peas, onion) into some cooked chicken slices, add soy and chilli, salt and pepper, a little white wine and its a homemade stirfry.

Most of your dislike in veg is in your head.

It does make me wonder tho, why ive never heard someone say "im a really fussy eater, I only eat fresh vegetables and quality meat and dairy, none of that fast food junk."

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

If you like mashed potato, try mashing other kinds of veg. I make a butternut and potato mash regularly in place of ordinary mash. Just cut up your spuds and butternut (make the butternut pieces a bit bigger than the potato as they cook faster), boil or steam them and then mash them together. Add in some salt, black pepper and a tablespoon of creme fraiche. It's delicious and much tastier than mashed potato on it's own.

Mashed carrot and swede are lovely together as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Susie120704

Soups and roasted veg is the way to go. I am picky when it comes to veg so I make my own soup where I can disguise veg I am not too keen on and I often roast veg too as it changes flavour and texture

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Bag of frozen roasting veg with herbs on them - delicious, try those. Or the frozen stir fry ones stir fried with lovely spices

it's psychological.

you probably do eat a lot of veg but its cooked into a meal and you aren't consciously aware of it. Spag bol for eg should be made from carrots/celery/onion chopped fine and softened in butter before the meat is added. actually a lot of sauces in italy are made like this.

But you probably weren't aware that spag bol has this much veg in it.

most likely you are afraid of the stuff that was forced on you as a kid: sliced carrots, peas, sprouts all boiled to death on the hob until all flavor is removed and then splatted on your plate were you were forced to eat it. even to this day I can't eat peas like that without gagging.

steam them add a little mint, some grated lime zest and chilli flakes and topped with butter and they're lovely tho.
    fry carrots in butter in a pan with a lid, add a little cinnamon and they are great.
    Sprouts fried in garlic oil, with thin slices of bacon, then simmered in a little chicken stock will change a Sunday lunch.

stir a load of veg (carrots, peppers, garlic, sweet peas, onion) into some cooked chicken slices, add soy and chilli, salt and pepper, a little white wine and its a homemade stirfry.

Most of your dislike in veg is in your head.

It does make me wonder tho, why ive never heard someone say "im a really fussy eater, I only eat fresh vegetables and quality meat and dairy, none of that fast food junk."

100% agree with you that it is in my own noggin but for different reasons. I would accept that there is veg in most sauces etc. but I'm terrible, if i saw onion within a sauce it would put me off it, or i would have to blend it or if i was out and had ordered a burger and when i bit into it there was onion through the mince i would probably leave the rest of the burger

I want to get beyond that mental block and start eating it but just want to know different ways that people similar to me have done it.

Soups and roasted veg is the way to go. I am picky when it comes to veg so I make my own soup where I can disguise veg I am not too keen on and I often roast veg too as it changes flavour and texture

Just diced veg and into the oven? Do you add anything? Which veg is best to start with*

*read will have the least taste!

If you like mashed potato, try mashing other kinds of veg. I make a butternut and potato mash regularly in place of ordinary mash. Just cut up your spuds and butternut (make the butternut pieces a bit bigger than the potato as they cook faster), boil or steam them and then mash them together. Add in some salt, black pepper and a tablespoon of creme fraiche. It's delicious and much tastier than mashed potato on it's own.

Mashed carrot and swede are lovely together as well.

I will definitely try the butter nut squash and potato, although with the creme freche it would take away from the nutritional element.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

BKWDR wrote: »
    100% agree with you that it is in my own noggin but for different reasons. I would accept that there is veg in most sauces etc. but I'm terrible, if i saw onion within a sauce it would put me off it, or i would have to blend it or if i was out and had ordered a burger and when i bit into it there was onion through the mince i would probably leave the rest of the burger

I want to get beyond that mental block and start eating it but just want to know different ways that people similar to me have done it.

my mum makes a really lovely onion gravy. its beyond tasty.
    But, my sister is like you. she would not eat veg. infact for as long as i remember she would only eat sausage and mash even well into her 20's.

my parents used to trick her into eating the onion gravy by telling her it was apple. "want some more apple gravy for your sausage and mash?"

were both in our 30's now and she still insists its an apple gravy, although she does eat veg now.

you just have to get over the block, most veg is really tasty, especially when cooked right, asparagus and butter sauce is my current favorite.

although sweet potato, carrot, and squash bake with honey and cinnamon, is close.

or baby carrots and beetroot in a balsamic glaze. lush!

start small, add some spring onions to your mash. then add some veg to a meaty stirfry. build it up as you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

I will definitely try the butter nut squash and potato, although with the creme freche it would take away from the nutritional element.

It wouldn't really, creme fraiche isn't a bad food by any means and a spoonful in the entire recipe is hardly anything. :) I've made it a few times without it though and it's still great. You could use a spoonful of natural yogurt instead.

my mum makes a really lovely onion gravy. its beyond tasty.
    But, my sister is like you. she would not eat veg. infact for as long as i remember she would only eat sausage and mash even well into her 20's.

my parents used to trick her into eating the onion gravy by telling her it was apple. "want some more apple gravy for your sausage and mash?"

were both in our 30's now and she still insists its an apple gravy, although she does eat veg now.

you just have to get over the block, most veg is really tasty, especially when cooked right, asparagus and butter sauce is my current favorite.

although sweet potato, carrot, and squash bake with honey and cinnamon, is close.

or baby carrots and beetroot in a balsamic glaze. lush!

start small, add some spring onions to your mash. then add some veg to a meaty stirfry. build it up as you go.

I had to laugh reading your post. If it wasn't for sausage and mash / chips / bread i dont know what i would've eaten to date!

I hand on heart don't mind eating something once it is out of sight. Like if someone told me there was onion in pepper sauce, i would still eat it so long as i couldn't see the shiney crunchie nastiness haha

Im gonna go try the roast veg a previous poster had suggested. See where i go from there.

Wish me luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Have a read of the stickies. A lot of the things you thought were bad for you (Eggs, cream, creme freche) aren't the worst. Cereals such a special k would be a lot worse.

Have a read of the stickies. A lot of the things you thought were bad for you (Eggs, cream, creme freche) aren't the worst. Cereals such a special k would be a lot worse.

I have slowly come around to some new food items, such as eggs. I had never touched an egg until a year ago i had french toast. Last week i had scrambled egg and a couple days later i had a cheese omelette.

Yeah i've been told a lot of what i am eating is loaded with salt and sugar but appear healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

You sound like me until I hit my 20s

Agree that it is purely psychological. But just try different ways of cooking them, and do it all yourself. I found that I would always ignore the single sprig of broccoli, cauliflower or carrot/parsnip that my mother would try to get me to eat. Ever since I started preparing the veg the same way but making it myself, it made it easier to eat. Nowadays, I don't care who makes it; I will still eat it.

Soups are a great idea and if you prepare ahead and make a big batch at the weekend, you can have a small portion every day. One of my quick meals is a steak with carrot and broccoli - parboil for 2 mins before removing the water and lashing on butter with salt and pepper. Don't worry about the fat content of the butter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

If you like curry its a great medium to hide the vegetables.

You sound like me until I hit my 20s

Agree that it is purely psychological. But just try different ways of cooking them, and do it all yourself. I found that I would always ignore the single sprig of broccoli, cauliflower or carrot/parsnip that my mother would try to get me to eat. Ever since I started preparing the veg the same way but making it myself, it made it easier to eat. Nowadays, I don't care who makes it; I will still eat it.

Soups are a great idea and if you prepare ahead and make a big batch at the weekend, you can have a small portion every day. One of my quick meals is a steak with carrot and broccoli - parboil for 2 mins before removing the water and lashing on butter with salt and pepper. Don't worry about the fat content of the butter
    I take it the parboiled takes the crunch out of them?

If you like curry its a great medium to hide the vegetables.

See if it was, i would be forking around it to try and find any veg to push to side of plate :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

But, you're an adult, you know it's psychological. So would you not just try a tiny piece of an onion etc and eat it, or try to, and just get used to it? I hated avocado for a long time, and I loved raspberries when with chocolate but would never eat them on their own, it's like they tasted like a different thing altogether on their own. Slowly I started eating more avocado, and now I could eat a whole bowl of home made guacamole...still wouldn't just eat a piece of avocado though, too mushy. With raspberries I started eating them with a tiny scoop of chocolate icecream, enough to coat them a bit, and I slowly reduced the amount of icecream, now I can eat nearly a feckin punnet of raspberries on their own :o

It's just mind over matter, don't force yourself but just taste things a few times, get used to the textures and flavours and what you like them with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭teacosy

Repeated exposure is the way to go here. You'll find it difficult to ever accept a food without smelling chewing tasting and swallowing it, ...on it's own. Hiding or masking the taste of foods you are averse to isn't a waste of time exactly, but it won't solve your problem in the long term.

This paper illustrates it a bit

http://www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/v57/n2/abs/1601541a.html:

and this book is aimed at parents of very restrictive eaters (eg those on autistic spectrum), it describes strategies to overcome the aversions

http://www.amazon.com/Just-Take-Bite-Effective-Challenges/dp/1932565124

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Feets

Jerry seinfelds wife wrote a book on hiding veg in kids food. Recipes were tasty tho. Im sure they can be googled...cant remember her first name..

But, you're an adult, you know it's psychological. So would you not just try a tiny piece of an onion etc and eat it, or try to, and just get used to it? I hated avocado for a long time, and I loved raspberries when with chocolate but would never eat them on their own, it's like they tasted like a different thing altogether on their own. Slowly I started eating more avocado, and now I could eat a whole bowl of home made guacamole...still wouldn't just eat a piece of avocado though, too mushy. With raspberries I started eating them with a tiny scoop of chocolate icecream, enough to coat them a bit, and I slowly reduced the amount of icecream, now I can eat nearly a feckin punnet of raspberries on their own :o

It's just mind over matter, don't force yourself but just taste things a few times, get used to the textures and flavours and what you like them with.

I know it sounds stupid and i know i sound simple asking for help. In my head i compare it to asking someone to roll their tongue when they can't.
    I've tried things, i've jumped straight in and then i've just put my toe in the water and wussed out.
    teacosy wrote: »
    Repeated exposure is the way to go here. You'll find it difficult to ever accept a food without smelling chewing tasting and swallowing it, ...on it's own. Hiding or masking the taste of foods you are averse to isn't a waste of time exactly, but it won't solve your problem in the long term.

This paper illustrates it a bit

http://www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/v57/n2/abs/1601541a.html:

and this book is aimed at parents of very restrictive eaters (eg those on autistic spectrum), it describes strategies to overcome the aversions

http://www.amazon.com/Just-Take-Bite-Effective-Challenges/dp/1932565124

Thanks for the links , gonna check them out tomorrow at lunch time. You are kinda right, i find if there is something hidden in my food it makes me more anxious to look for it.
    Feets wrote: »
    Jerry seinfelds wife wrote a book on hiding veg in kids food. Recipes were tasty tho. Im sure they can be googled...cant remember her first name..

Sounds strange, but i actually just want to sit down and eat veg. I dont want to start looking for something i dont know whether or not its in my food if ya know what i mean

I can't roll my tongue, but that is a biological fact, not a psychological decision, if you know what I mean. You can overcome your limited diet, I can't make my tongue longer or flexible enough to roll :P

My kids are not veg eaters, so I disguise veg in meals. I chop finely or grate carrots, parships, turnip, celery, etc into bolognaise sauce or stew. Stew can be beef, lamb or chicken. It's a pain in the butt, but at least I know they're getting nourishment. I've started putting lentils and sweetcorn in too. They'll eat peas, so I reckoned the sweetcorn would be ok.

I can't roll my tongue, but that is a biological fact, not a psychological decision, if you know what I mean. You can overcome your limited diet, I can't make my tongue longer or flexible enough to roll :P

I knew as i typed it that it was a bad comparison. Hard to explain, i know its psychological but just trying to overcome it feels like the inability to roll your tongue (if you couldn't)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

To be perfectly honest,I think you just need to come to terms with the fact that this is totally all in your head, then suck it up and get over it. It will take time but you just need to keep trying vegetables until you can eat them. Try them every single day and don't let yourself stop trying.

You are an adult and your body requires essential minerals and vitamins from vegetables, not to mention fibre. Be a grown up about it, push yourself, and best of luck.

You are an adult and your body requires essential minerals and vitamins from vegetables, not to mention fibre. Be a grown up about it, push yourself, and best of luck.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭V123

when i was younger i hated carrots and whenever i stayed in my aunts she would put loads of carrots on the plate and go on at you if you didn't eat them! I used to dilute the taste by mashing them into my potatoes! you could barely taste them. eventually i got used them and now i love carrots and all veg

• Advertisement

To be perfectly honest,I think you just need to come to terms with the fact that this is totally all in your head, then suck it up and get over it. It will take time but you just need to keep trying vegetables until you can eat them. Try them every single day and don't let yourself stop trying.

I appreciate the advice, thanks. I guess i know exactly what you have said is true, accept it 110%.
    I guess i just posted here to ask others who were in my boat, how they over came it or the easiest way to introduce vegetables into their diet.

Advertisement