Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LDS family research centre

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭danger mouse

Hi sounds like you guys haven't been having it easy getting down to the family History center.

This should help some what

The Consultant Librarian Genealogist's name is Philip Clarke His Number is 0868799589

His Email address is elder.clarke@hotmail.co.uk

The church has called a new full time Senior missionary couple to over see family history in the whole island of Ireland. So there will be changes for the better over the coming months. Family history centers are for everyone not just for latter Day saints. We love people to come down and use this facility when they can. Families are so important and learning about or ancestors can tell us so much and can be loads of fun too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

This is great news.

However, I think it would be a good thing if the Mormons gave copies of the Irish records they hold to the Irish State. It is not right that someone seeking records of Irish people should have to apply to have them temporarily sent from Salt Lake City to Ireland.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

This is great news.

However, I think it would be a good thing if the Mormons gave copies of the Irish records they hold to the Irish State. It is not right that someone seeking records of Irish people should have to apply to have them temporarily sent from Salt Lake City to Ireland.

In the majority of cases, they got said records from the State and the State still has the originals. They just haven't microfilmed them and are likely to actually end up scanning/transcribing them instead, eventually.

I imagine they'd be very willing to provide copies of whatever they have film of that we don't have either film or originals anymore

In the cases where they didn't get records from the State, but from religious organisations, though - which includes all records of births, marriages and deaths before 1864 - copies of the microfilm should be given to the Irish State.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Well, in the case of parish records, they have also gotten them from the State, since they microfilmed the registers in the National Library. Many of the reels show they that were done by the LDS.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Yet when I went to the National Library looking for Presbyterian records from the 1840s, they told me they hadn't got them…?

I meant RC parish records.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

We love people to come down and use this facility when they can.

Hi dangermouse, are you involved in an official capacity?

If so, can you give us all an overview of the workings, hours, any permanent loans at the center? Thanks.

By the way, how do you exclude prison results from the familysearch.org search? Half the time searches get infested with them, the other half they don't, and I can't see what I'm doing differently.

By the way, how do you exclude prison results from the familysearch.org search?

The easiest thing to do is select the specific database and then search in that. Start here, on the Ireland page.

Alternatively, if you are searching from the main search area, there is a tab above "Search Results from Historical Records" called 'Collections'. Click on that and you can include/exclude databases for which your name of interest has been found in.

• Advertisement

Hmm. There don't seem to be baptisms after 1881 there. When you were talking about 'RC' records, did you mean Catholic? Do you have Catholic baptism records for 1910-20?

Also, I can go into the link you give, but I can't see anywhere there to enter name, birthdate, etc when searching…?

Edit - Ah, I realise what it is; you have to click each of the collections individually to search. Oof.

The NLI does not have baptisms (or any RC records) for that 1910-20 period, with some exceptions - so what the LDS has will be the same. The parish records on rootsireland go a little later because they were done from the original records in individual parishes.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I'm not aware of the National Library keeping any baptism records whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭danger mouse

Hi dangermouse, are you involved in an official capacity?

If so, can you give us all an overview of the workings, hours, any permanent loans at the center? Thanks.

Im a Member of the church. The building that has the family history centre in it has my local ward too. I can find out some info on them questions. Im doing my own family tree at the minute. So any info I can find out ill pass onto you guys too. Give me a few days and ill get back to you with them answers.

I'm not aware of the National Library keeping any baptism records whatsoever.

You'll save yourself a lot of wasted hours by having a good read of the sticky on this forum and either Claire Santry's Irish Genealogy Toolkit website or John Grenham's Tracing Your Irish Ancestors, 4th edition.

An understanding of why records were created and where they are is really helpful when doing genealogy. It can take a while to get your head around them all, but definitely worth it.

Advertisement