Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playing with other musicians?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

Yes to the post above. I did. Bass players are very touchy. I play a bit of bass myself sometimes.
    Anyway have all the bass players finished taking offence to the unoffensive or is there anymore about?
    This thread keeps popping upfor me to read it and be called the same names over again.
    Has anybody any advice for the op?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭endacl

jane82 wrote: »

^^

Ignore what the above poster says OP! If you can't ignore it, do the opposite.

:D

Yep Op you should keep hammering away and telling whatever musicians that play along with you they arnt good enough. Dont learn other instruments to figure out how to guide your other musicians.
    Never tell a bass player how to play a song you wrote he will take the g out of your c chord and add an a to it because he wants to make it an a minor and he doesnt care how you wrote it he is intelligent damn it . If you dont like it he will diminish that c chord.
    How dare you write the song anyway without it being the same time signature as pink floyds money. That has to change the bass player cant be playing 4/4 stuff. No way people will think Im not awesome.
    Bit of a complex going on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Anyway have all the bass players finished taking offence

I doubt if anyone has taken offence. People are entitled to challenge what they see as misguided (to say the least) notions. Also, it would appear that it is not only bass players who seem to disagree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Magik08

Yes to the post above. I did. Bass players are very touchy. I play a bit of bass myself sometimes.
    Anyway have all the bass players finished taking offence to the unoffensive or is there anymore about?
    This thread keeps popping upfor me to read it and be called the same names over again.

I'm not 'a bass player' I am a musician. The only thing offensive here is deplorable outlook on music and your self-praising role within it.

TO THE OP:

don't sweat it man!! You are 18! You are right on track. It can take a very long time to feel confident in your playing. A lot of that confidence comes from clicking with the right people. If you played with struggling musicians then your overall idea of your sound is going to be flawed. If you do play with better musicians and make some rocking music, your outlook and confidence will go up easily.

Just keep practicing your chops. Listen to varying types of music. Step outside your box. I always listen to rock and then for some reason when I played, I had a very jazzy and funky approach to my music. Explore the sounds and styles you play without thinking about it or playing tabs/other people's music.

What is your knowledge of music theory? I'd recommend explbring that as well. It's a heavy load but I would say learn chord and scale construction / rhythm first. Once you get that down, delve into WHY a certain chord falls into It's place within the scale. Play chords from one to the next and LISTEN to how it moves. Keep your melody tight. Those notes (usually the soprano) won't move by leaps. Make sure you play appropriate chords within the scale to keep harmony.

The more you work on yourself, the more you will accomplish on the battle grounds (band practice ). As long as you have fun with it, It's hard to go wrong. If you can find players with an open mind, ever better. Communication is important. People just don't get together and make a masterpiece in the first play through.

You are smart for not wanting to play with pretentious buttonholes. So stay away from people like Jane82. Once you are comfortable in your own shoes and display confidence (not arrogance) you can work better with others that may be a bit better in some respects. If you can make a mistake and laugh it off.. instead of getting embarrassed or angry, that is gold.

With a band work on eye contact and communication between the band members. This will always help in a live situation and also within practice.

Music making is meant to be fun, so enjoy and don't fret the idea of not being good enough.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

Magik08 wrote: »
    I'm not 'a bass player' I am a musician. The only thing offensive here is deplorable outlook on music and your self-praising role within it.

TO THE OP:

don't sweat it man!! You are 18! You are right on track. It can take a very long time to feel confident in your playing. A lot of that confidence comes from clicking with the right people. If you played with struggling musicians then your overall idea of your sound is going to be flawed. If you do play with better musicians and make some rocking music, your outlook and confidence will go up easily.

Just keep practicing your chops. Listen to varying types of music. Step outside your box. I always listen to rock and then for some reason when I played, I had a very jazzy and funky approach to my music. Explore the sounds and styles you play without thinking about it or playing tabs/other people's music.

What is your knowledge of music theory? I'd recommend explbring that as well. It's a heavy load but I would say learn chord and scale construction / rhythm first. Once you get that down, delve into WHY a certain chord falls into It's place within the scale. Play chords from one to the next and LISTEN to how it moves. Keep your melody tight. Those notes (usually the soprano) won't move by leaps. Make sure you play appropriate chords within the scale to keep harmony.

The more you work on yourself, the more you will accomplish on the battle grounds (band practice ). As long as you have fun with it, It's hard to go wrong. If you can find players with an open mind, ever better. Communication is important. People just don't get together and make a masterpiece in the first play through.

You are smart for not wanting to play with pretentious buttonholes. So stay away from people like Jane82. Once you are comfortable in your own shoes and display confidence (not arrogance) you can work better with others that may be a bit better in some respects. If you can make a mistake and laugh it off.. instead of getting embarrassed or angry, that is gold.

With a band work on eye contact and communication between the band members. This will always help in a live situation and also within practice.

Music making is meant to be fun, so enjoy and don't fret the idea of not being good enough.

Cheers.

Actually, would people suggest getting theory lessons? I'm quite interested in it myself, just want to know if people think they'd get any value out of lessons :)

Yep Op you should keep hammering away and telling whatever musicians that play along with you they arnt good enough. Dont learn other instruments to figure out how to guide your other musicians.
    Never tell a bass player how to play a song you wrote he will take the g out of your c chord and add an a to it because he wants to make it an a minor and he doesnt care how you wrote it he is intelligent damn it . If you dont like it he will diminish that c chord.
    How dare you write the song anyway without it being the same time signature as pink floyds money. That has to change the bass player cant be playing 4/4 stuff. No way people will think Im not awesome.
    Bit of a complex going on here.

Do you understand How much a tool you sound like? Insinuating that only the guitar player writes the music and It's always up to the guitar player?

Do you not realize what you are criticizing right here is what you were originally promoting? Man, you are a gem. Keep trolling. Apparently you are able to something.

Hotale.com wrote: »
    Actually, would people suggest getting theory lessons? I'm quite interested in it myself, just want to know if people think they'd get any value out of lessons :)

A guitar teacher that does theory is less seem in some areas. Many teachers would do theory on piano but to learn a new instrument would take some time. I always recommend learning piano but to find immediate results would be less then likely. Learning theory from a book on your own is goes but can easily become confusing.

I think theory helps in a lot of respects, it certainly is never a bad idea. Many guitarist I know cannot do anything with theory but will play a perfect authentic cadence without knowing of the theory behind it.

If you are interested in learning theory then go for it. A good grasp of basic theory is never a waste of time IMO. Most good teachers will combine some theory with other aspects of playing an instrument. This way, you get the chance to utilize what you have learned by playing it on you instrument.

I agree with Magik08 that learning theory alone from a book can be confusing, but if you want to make a start, here is a a link where it is explained in simple terms :

http://www.billygreen.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Music%20Theory%20-%20Basic,%20Intermediate,%20Advanced.pdf

Rigsby wrote: »
    If you are interested in learning theory then go for it. A good grasp of basic theory is never a waste of time IMO. Most good teachers will combine some theory with other aspects of playing an instrument. This way, you get the chance to utilize what you have learned by playing it on you instrument.

I agree with Magik08 that learning theory alone from a book can be confusing, but if you want to make a start, here is a a link where it is explained in simple terms :

(Snip)

Thank you!!

• Advertisement

Magik08 wrote: »
    Do you understand How much a tool you sound like? Insinuating that only the guitar player writes the music and It's always up to the guitar player?

Do you not realize what you are criticizing right here is what you were originally promoting? Man, you are a gem. Keep trolling. Apparently you are able to something.

Now now no need for name calling. We could go down the road of bass players and drummers that go solo and go on to superstardom but lets forget about it and give the op some advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Deschain

Now now no need for name calling. We could go down the road of bass players and drummers that go solo and go on to superstardom but lets forget about it and give the op some advice.

Phil Collins and Paul Paul McCartney, but we aren't going down that road are we?
    You keep going on the defensive about this like everyone is attacking you for no reason but then you can't help but add in a little jibe here and there. The more I read from your posts the more I think you are of the opinion that a guitarist is a better musician than a bassist by default? Would I be correct in that assumption? It's an old argument we have all heard it before, many have said it 'the bass is easy, guitar is harder. Bass is for guitarists who couldn't cut it.' Usually comes from the musically uninformed, or the inexperienced guitarist who strung together three chords and tells the bassist to play straight 8ths on the roots and don't play anything else during my solo man.

Yeah, we have all heard that before and will again. Of course bassists will band together and say things like 'you are nothing without the rhythm section, we are the glue' etc with this guitar vs bass stupidity.

A real musician does not make that distinction. A real musician will see people in his or her band as equals and if they don't then they are in the wrong band.

I think you will find Sir Paul started out on guitar.
    I was trolled into reacting in honesty.
    Thread:Im angry I can sound like john frusciante. Its not my fault its other musicians.
    Advice: if you have a vision of how the other musicians should sound learn the instrument and tell them what to play.
    Reaction:dude ....you done know how to make an f chord you are a trol, op stay away from this guy he uses theory. The bass is an extention of my soul. No good guitar teacher teaches theory only piano teachers do.

Sorry I kicked but I only kicked back.
    To the. Chap asking about learning theory yes you should any decent guitar teacher will do some theory. I think the lads that refuse basic theory so much just cant grasp it kind of like a defence mechanism.
    Good theory knowledge makes writing a song 80 per cent faster I reckon. There is room to bend the rules but it nearly all fits in with theory. I mean anything from Elton John to the Beatles to Justin Beiber.

Oh and as far as solos and me playing a billion notes a minute- thats not me I like relaxing on guitar its not a race.

Is there a way of closing this thread? It's gone so far off-topic it's pointless, there's some insecure guitarists feeling the need to undermine bassists, and I didn't make this thread with the intention of initiating petty squabbling.

Is there a way of closing this thread? It's gone so far off-topic it's pointless, there's some insecure guitarists feeling the need to undermine bassists, and I didn't make this thread with the intention of initiating petty squabbling.

I remember when in started playing. Very insecure. Still a bit insecure. It's in my nature to be very analytical and to be a perfectionist. It was a huge deterrent to play with others. I missed out on a lot of good years trying to perfect my playing (Which never truly happens - always something to practice) while I was missing out on key details. Instead of focusing on a band and making hits, just play. Have a drummer lay down a steady pulse, ask him if he can play with a metronome (perhaps a single ear bud) if he has to work on his timing. You can then ask the bass player to lay a groove or you play something. See what Sounds good. When someone does something you like.. point it out and ask to repeat.
    Work on that small part and build from it. Don't tell people what to play. Let them express theirselves. If anything, make a suggestion.. "hey man, can you do again but this time don't play that last note"

You gotta respect each band member, not dictate. Just work at it and You'll do fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Deschain

I think you will find Sir Paul started out on guitar.

Was waiting for that ;)

Is there a way of closing this thread?

As you started the thread, I think you can request one of the mods to lock it. The forum mods are shown on the bottom right hand side of the page. Send one of them a P.M.

I know that I was partially responsible for derailing your thread. For that, I apologize, :o but I just could not resist the urge to address some of the ridiculous, ill informed statements that were put across.

Best of luck, and I hope you got some constructive advice from your thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Thread has been derailed beyond belief at this stage and OP has asked me to close it anyway. If anyone would like to start a separate thread relating to the same topic, go right ahead.

Jane82, drop the attitude. Having an opinion is grand (bizarre as that opinion may be). Actively discouraging people from playing their chosen instrument and making snide remarks at other posters is out of line.

Magik08, warning issued. Attack the post, not the poster.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement