Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer asking for social media log in details!

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Just to throw my 2c in the mix. It's a bit unclear as to what kind of business promotion on social media that the OP has been carrying out. Was it required as part of the job originally? Were personal accounts used or work accounts?

If an employer really wants to, they can access your account anyway if you have been logging in on the company network although if they do this without your consent they're in serious trouble.

As for providing them access, this is an absolute no (if it's a personal account). Even if the OP has nothing to hide, by giving someone else password, you are breaching the privacy of others that you are friends with on fb for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

faceman wrote: »

As for providing them access, this is am absolute no (if it's a personal account). Even if the OP has nothing to hide, by giving someone else password, you are breaching the privacy of others that you are friends with on fb for example.

This is why the OP needs to have an open discussion with the employer, stating that ISO probably would not be happy with him handing over his personal passwords.
    It's a bit of a blooper on the part of the employer to be honest.

I'd say the company innocently stated that their employees use their social media accounts to aid with marketing of the company.
    The problem is that marketing probably needs to be monitored for compliance with legislation in terms of 'false and misleading advertising', and that sort of thing for e.g.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The one thing I don't understand about HR people allowing this is that it could put the company at risk of legal action on discrimination grounds if anyone were fired, failed to be promoted or if they were not hired and a recruiter had asked for social media passwords.

It could be a way of finding out your religious or political views, your sexual orientation, your marital status, your intention to have kids, or anything else really.

If you were subsequently not employed, not promoted etc etc the employer could be facing legal problems.

That's how I would see it as a massive risk to a company.

There are certain things an employer wouldn't really want to be aware of.

To me this looks like snooping into areas of employees lives and into areas that are most definitely out of bounds.

Once you've snooped, you can't unknow the information.

They're opening a Pandora's box of potential and totally unnecessary legal risks.

Advertisement