Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon has it all!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

yabadabado wrote: »
    JJs is probably your best bet. It won't be busy in the week day evenings and is fairly big so be plenty of quiet corners to read in without anyone annoying you.

Ah well I won't mind a bit of annoyance, I want to meet people too when I move :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Ah well I won't mind a bit of annoyance, I want to meet people too when I move :-)

If that's the case tip down to Murrays.The best pub in Roscommon Town during the week. Be plenty in there and a nice crowd to chat to.

Brilliant it's so close by. I'm also not far from Rockfords but I'm a bit old for there I'd say :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭cena

Brilliant it's so close by. I'm also not far from Rockfords but I'm a bit old for there I'd say :-)

You would find them in there 50s there too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Another late bar which is aimed at an 'older crowd' is open now - Nancy's.
    I was there a couple of weeks ago and felt like the youngest in it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

and we are mighty proud of it, **** off coming in here lecturing to us

most of us aren't

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    most of us aren't

speak for yourself, most of us voted for the no

• Registered Users Posts: 23 sorollo

Thanks Addle. I'm really looking forward to it. After years of having to drive everywhere I'm looking forward to being within walking distance of everything. Any recommendations for a cosy pub for someone who wants to have a quiet drink after work with a book?

As far as I hear there are plans for a light rail communter service between Roscommon and Ballygar.
    It is a much needed service and will bring the country people closer together.
    The free parking is being taken advantage of big time.
    There are fellas parking at the supermarket car parks and getting the bus into Longford and all that just to avoid the paid parking in Longford

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Lets keep it civil please folks

sorollo wrote: »
    There are fellas parking at the supermarket car parks and getting the bus into Longford and all that just to avoid the paid parking in Longford

That's smart, and worthy of the stinge thread!

Locals don't appreciate the free parking enough, and how accessible car parking is all over town.
    It's only when you go home after being away, you really delight in it.

• Advertisement

As far as I hear there are plans for a light rail communter service between Roscommon and Ballygar.

I can't see this happening
    Any proof of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

cena wrote: »
    I can't see this happening
    Any proof of this?

The plans are on display in county hall.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    The plans are on display in county hall.

With the actual engine!

Addle wrote: »
    With the actual engine!

Thats the terminus.

It is a much needed service and will bring the country people closer together.
    The free parking is being taken advantage of big time.

Not sure why you quoted me:confused:
    But yes I'm really looking forward to being able to leave my car at home and walk to and from a pub or the cinema or the theatre. I'm going to be caring for my mother too and that can be pretty isolating when you live in the countryside like I currently do.

speak for yourself, most of us voted for the no

You mean 51.42 people out of every hundred?
    Just over half then.
    All the old foggies must have been out in force

I wonder if all the people under 40 from the county could have come home to vote what the result would have been

more people voted Yes in Roscommon-South Leitrim (17,615) than in both Donegal North-East (16,040) and Donegal South-West (15,907) and that fewer people voted No in Roscommon-South Leitrim than in 13 constituencies.

Damn democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I wonder if all the people under 40 from the county could have come home to vote what the result would have been

Spot on. Roscommon would have one of the highest rates of young people living elsewhere, similar to a lot of rural counties where it was a close call. I didn't come home to vote and I have a lot of friends who didn't either but would have voted Yes. You'd imagine that would have tipped the balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

We even have TDs who can fight their corner

But would they be as good as the Healy Rae,s

I wonder will Roscommon even have a yes vote this time around

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I wonder will Roscommon even have a yes vote this time around

First quick estimates have the yes side ahead in lots of areas. I'm getting that from the Roscommon Herald.

The focus on Roscommon and the media presence in the Hyde today is very galling.
    WTF were they expecting?

They should have been in Donegal!

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

..how's poor oul Tom taking the news?:pac::pac:

The focus on Roscommon and the media presence in the Hyde today is very galling.
    WTF were they expecting?

Infairness if you were taking a guess at where might vote No,then Roscommon would have been near the top of the list.There was international media over last week ,hoping to get some locals views.

Makes no odds now as it rightly got a Yes majority.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Infairness if you were taking a guess at where might vote No,then Roscommon would have been near the top of the list.There was international media over last week ,hoping to get some locals views.

Makes no odds now as it rightly got a Yes majority.

its a different constituency though since the marriage ref.
    we got rid of that Leitrim crowd and are in with east galway.

its a different constituency though since the marriage ref.
    we got rid of that Leitrim crowd and are in with east galway.

I doubt the media would be too worried about that,they just would be looking for a headline.

The Norweigen tv crew that was in town last week mightnt be too familiar with Leitrim :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

If I had known Caitriona Perry was going to be in Roscommon I would have gone up and hung around the Hyde Centre!

I did find it funny that the media were all hanging around Roscommon, waiting for us to be the lone naysayers once again.

Anyone know what the new shop by the toy shop, beside Tesco car park, is?

• Advertisement

Anyone know what the new shop by the toy shop, beside Tesco car park, is?

it looks like a discount store

Advertisement