Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor €20 deal

Options
  • 15-04-2014 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭

Just switched from my legacy plan with Meteor to a SIM only plan and I think it's great value. I had to tell them I was thinking of switching networks as its supposed to be for new customers only.

I didn't need a phone and I am not looking to sign any crazy 18 mth contract so I went with €20 for 200 mins unlimited texts and 1gb data. It includes free Meteor and Emobile calls and that suits me as 7 out of the top 10 people I contact are on those networks.

So not a bad deal for €20

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

That sim only deal has been there for a few months now I think.

It used to be 200 mins, 200 texts, 1Gb data and free Meteor/E-Mobile Talk & Text which I'm currently on. Its just about enough for me in terms of data but I do have WiFi access a lot places I frequent..

Its an okay deal but to be fair but this 48 months deal is half the money and quite similar

• Registered Users Posts: 64,844 ✭✭✭✭unkel

So not a bad deal for €20

That's a poor deal. I'm on Meteor billpay for €25, have the same package but got a €500 phone for €45

When my contract is finished I'll go to Tesco SIM only for the 300 min / 300 txt / 1GB data package for €10 per month...

(48 deal is similar as Zonda posted)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Soarer

unkel wrote: »
    That's a poor deal. I'm on Meteor billpay for €25, have the same package but got a €500 phone for €45

When my contract is finished I'll go to Tesco SIM only for the 300 min / 300 txt / 1GB data package for €10 per month...

Yup, that's the one I'm on. Can't fault it to be fair. A tenner a month like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Is 48 not age restricted? I am well past the limit!

You are on a contract so that gave you the phone. This is SIM only 30 day contract. I too was on the 25 euro deal with 200 mins 200 texts and 1gb data so his deal saves me a fiver and no long term contract.

All I see I Tesco for 20 quid SIM only is 300 mins 300 text and 1/2 GB data.

I don't want to have to top up as that's a pain so I thought this was the best deal out there

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I got it a few months ago as an existing customer, I just offered to leave them or they could switch me:)

• Advertisement

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I got it a few months ago as an existing customer, I just offered to leave them or they could switch me:)

Exactly what I did today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

Is 48 not age restricted? I am well past the limit!

It is but they dont verify everyone...

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Soarer wrote: »

Has this offer expired? Also cant seem to find it?

W.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mcw92

I don't want to have to top up as that's a pain so I thought this was the best deal out there

Ive heard people see this before, but I don't know how tipping up can be a pain when you could save much more.
    It takes less than a minute really, not much a pain IMO.
    On 48 I think you can allow for recurring top ups anyways, which will top you up automatically every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

pawrick wrote: »
    It is but they dont verify everyone...

How do they verify people? I ask because I'm interested in the deal, but I'm waaaay to old.

BUT - if they deny me service because I'm too old, it's discrimination.

They're hardly that silly are they - it'd be an open and shut case -they'd have no defence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,844 ✭✭✭✭unkel

so his deal saves me a fiver

No it doesn't save you a fiver :)

Bear with me. Billpay costs €5 more per month. And you have to come up with €45 for the phone. So over the 18 month contract, the phone costs you 18 * 5 + 45 = 135

You'll easily sell the phone for €135 when unlocked at the end of your contract

Summary: on billpay you get the use of a brand new phone for 18 months FOR FREE!!!

mcw92 wrote: »
    Ive heard people see this before, but I don't know how tipping up can be a pain when you could save much more.
    It takes less than a minute really, not much a pain IMO.
    On 48 I think you can allow for recurring top ups anyways, which will top you up automatically every month.

I am not in and out of shops frequently and invariable I would forget to top up thus maybe lose the deal I am on and run out of credit.
    I know my daughter who is 15 always runs out of credit and forgets to top up to keep here current offer - she gets pocket money to use as a top up but always forgets about it until its too late
    Maybe I am lazy but having to go in to a shop or log in to my account or on-line bank and set up a top up is way more hassle than just having €20 taken from my account every month by direct debit.
    Yes 48 allow you to buy multiple top ups but that means you have to shell out the money all at once (e.g. you can buy up to 6 top ups ~ €120)
    Anything for an easy life
    Soarer wrote: »

This Tesco offer seems to be no longer available - the SIM only plan on a 30 day contract is not as good as the Meteor offer

Bear with me. Billpay costs €5 more per month. And you have to come up with €45 for the phone. So over the 18 month contract, the phone costs you 18 * 5 + 45 = 135

Summary: on billpay you get the use of a brand new phone for 18 months FOR FREE!!!
    Yes it saves me a fiver
    I was paying €25 per month and I was out of contract
    now I pay €20 per month and still only on a 30 day contract

Another savings example

I purchase a Moto G for €149
    €20 per month for the deal
    Free to change provider and sell the phone whenever I like

On Billpay (all I can see BTW is 24 Mth contracts)
    Moto G = Free
    Comparable tariff is €31.20 per month = €748 over the 24 months

My version will cost me (phone @ €149 + 24x €20 = €480) grand total €629

And I have a brand new phone to use and I can sell it next month if I like

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

You're trying pretty hard to justify your purchase but let's be honest it's a pretty sh1t bargain alert if you think it's worth paying double the price (€20 vs €10) just so you don't have to spend 30 seconds every month or two topping up. Plus 48 give you much better coverage around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

I can't see anything better than Three's €20 deal which i've been on for a couple of years. 350 units (each unit either a minute of a call or 2 texts) and unlimited data with free 4G until the end of June.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Nothing beats 48s Guido €10 per month deal for pure value.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

It's a bit of a moot point as the plan you're on no longer exists (doubt you'd get any of the new model phones for €45 on a €25 plan either)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭nightrave

after 3 years with Meteor, cancelling my contract and going to three PAYG. 20 euro top up and unlimited 4g data. Beat that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

Tesco SIM only for the 300 min / 300 txt / 1GB data package for €10 per month...

How do you get this deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Tinie wrote: »

Yep this is a great deal.
    When I first got my sim I topped up with the 20 euro for the 5gb of data but I was clever this month, I only topped up by 10 which gives me plenty of mins (don't make that much calls anyway), unlimited texts (which I would use) and 1 gb of data.

Right 1gb is not a lot but I have the use of my bosses 4g mifi in work and use the wifi on the bus (doesnt work for spotify which is a pain but google play works fine).

Just came off a 2 year contract with 3 (got out of it early, long story....)
    Can't see myself ever going for one of those 50 a month deals again for 24 months with the phone, its just too much money and too long a contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

nightrave wrote: »
    after 3 years with Meteor, cancelling my contract and going to three PAYG. 20 euro top up and unlimited 4g data. Beat that.

considering they can't provide a decent 3g service, good luck with that....

I would check the coverage in your area first.

Personally I would never touch three again , even if they gave it to me for nothing but thats just me...

good luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭metroburgers

I can't see anything better than Three's €20 deal which i've been on for a couple of years. 350 units (each unit either a minute of a call or 2 texts) and unlimited data with free 4G until the end of June.
    nightrave wrote: »

Can you link me to said deal?

Also have you successfully tethered/created hotspot to use other devices with unlimited data?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Looking like the Tesco deal above (which was 12 Month Sim only) is no more.

http://www.tescomobile.ie/priceplans/pay-monthly-plans.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭andy125

I am not in and out of shops frequently and invariable I would forget to top up thus maybe lose the deal I am on and run out of credit.
    I know my daughter who is 15 always runs out of credit and forgets to top up to keep here current offer - she gets pocket money to use as a top up but always forgets about it until its too late
    Maybe I am lazy but having to go in to a shop or log in to my account or on-line bank and set up a top up is way more hassle than just having €20 taken from my account every month by direct debit.
    Yes 48 allow you to buy multiple top ups but that means you have to shell out the money all at once (e.g. you can buy up to 6 top ups ~ €120)
    Anything for an easy life

This Tesco offer seems to be no longer available - the SIM only plan on a 30 day contract is not as good as the Meteor offer

Yes it saves me a fiver
    I was paying €25 per month and I was out of contract
    now I pay €20 per month and still only on a 30 day contract

Another savings example

I purchase a Moto G for €149
    €20 per month for the deal
    Free to change provider and sell the phone whenever I like

On Billpay (all I can see BTW is 24 Mth contracts)
    Moto G = Free
    Comparable tariff is €31.20 per month = €748 over the 24 months

My version will cost me (phone @ €149 + 24x €20 = €480) grand total €629

And I have a brand new phone to use and I can sell it next month if I like

In the time it took you to post this you could have topped up online and enjoyed a cup of tea

Paddy_R wrote: »
    You're trying pretty hard to justify your purchase but let's be honest it's a pretty sh1t bargain alert if you think it's worth paying double the price (€20 vs €10) just so you don't have to spend 30 seconds every month or two topping up. Plus 48 give you much better coverage around the country.
    If you read the OP it is for a SIM only plan and not PAYG
    I do not want to have to top up so therefore the best SIM only 30 day contract plan I could find is this for €20
    48 I believe are using O2 masts and their reception is cack in my area as is 3. The best coverage around my area is either Vodafone or Meteor
    Tinie wrote: »
    Yes that's true for PAYG but I think nothing beats the Meteor plan for a Bill Pay option therefore the post I made originally
    andy125 wrote: »
    In the time it took you to post this you could have topped up online and enjoyed a cup of tea
    Nice contribution - I posted a bargain for a Bill Pay option SIM but maybe I should rename the thread title to suggest this

Why do people shoot down BA threads all the time.:confused:
    Not every bargain is for everyone but they are generally helpful for a lot of people. Why do we need to go to the effort of knocking a perfectly good way of saving some money:(

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

I'm also paying €20 with three PAYG.

Unlimited data (Free 4G up until 31st July)
    Unlimited Texts
    Unlimited calls to landlines and all networks at weekends
    Unlimited calls to Three

You get to keep the €20 too!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭metroburgers

Cjs21 wrote: »
    I'm also paying €20 with three PAYG.

Unlimited data (Free 4G up until 31st July)
    Unlimited Texts
    Unlimited calls to landlines and all networks at weekends
    Unlimited calls to Three

You get to keep the €20 too!

Have you tethered/create hotspot to hook up other devices with your unlimited data, e.g. laptop & netflix?

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

Have you tethered/create hotspot to hook up other devices with your unlimited data, e.g. laptop & netflix?

I have done it in the past when the internet was down for a few hours. Didn't stream anything but used it for usual browsing. Works perfectly.

I have an iPhone 5 at the minute and just done a speedtest in Cork. 15mps download, not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

300 texts?

Probably useful for casual phone users, but any heavy user would blow through that text limit relatively quickly.

Potenitally because of the "free texts" deals on various networks. I know that I've been with Meteor since they first arrived on the market and have for the majority had free texts to other Meteor users. My itemised bill shows between 1500-2000 texts a month for me :O

I forget my exact deal with Meteor, but I have 200 minutes, unlimited texts to any network and free calls to Meteor customers. I also get free calls + texts to ANY network at the weekend. Also 1GB of data.

€20 a month, although can fluctuate depending. No bill is as it is advertised, when you include the vat it always fluctuates, my last bill was €35 for some reason.

I got that deal like two years ago, after finally moving away from a legacy plan they would ring me each month to try get me off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Just logged into the new mymeteor page and saw a new item to check if your entitled to an upgrade.

I've I don't think ever got an upgrade from meteor since I first was with them, but it's telling me I'm entitled to a free NExus 5?

Has to be a mistake, but will ring up and check. Stayed my hand on a N5 purchase as its little to no upgrade from an N4, but wont say no to a freebie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

TheDoc wrote: »
    Just logged into the new mymeteor page and saw a new item to check if your entitled to an upgrade.

I've I don't think ever got an upgrade from meteor since I first was with them, but it's telling me I'm entitled to a free NExus 5?

Has to be a mistake, but will ring up and check. Stayed my hand on a N5 purchase as its little to no upgrade from an N4, but wont say no to a freebie.
    Its probably free on a €40 24month contract!

Advertisement