Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite family?

Options
  • 14-04-2014 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭

Does anybody consider their favourite family to be anything but the Starks?

We see the story, mostly, from their perspective, especially in the early story. It seems natural that we would sympathise with them.

Despite this, I would argue, that most peoples favourite character would be outside the Starks. Tyrion being a prime example.

So who is your favourite family?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Favourite family: Starks

Favourite character: Jimmy Lannister

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I like the Starks, but I'm coming to like the Tyrells too, the more I see of them.

Arya is my favourite character, with Tywin a close second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Old school Targaryens. As depicted before "the Mad" they were pretty kickass and only a little mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I never got the love for the Starks, especially Ned. I was upset for Sansa and Arya that he died but I was glad to see his character go. He was a sanctimonious pain in the arse and was warned by many in King's Landing that it was a dirty game but he thought he was above playing politics. Oh well, a fool and his head are easily parted!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Martell's here too and to a lesser extent the Mormont's - more so for Jorah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Arya is easily my favourite character.

I love the dragon-riding Targaryens of the Dance of Dragons era as seen in The Princess and the Queen though. Absolute bad-asses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

The Lannisters of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SeanJ09

My favourite family are the Boltons :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Arya is my favorite character, followed by Tyrion, Tywin and Jamie but I couldnt say the Lannisters were my favorite family (I even loved seeing Joffrey in action!)

Favorite family is a tough one, at the moment I am loving the Tyrells and a lot of that is to do with what I see as the cunningness they are showing right now, and ruthlessness.... if I have my theories wrong I dunno if I would still like them so much :)

You know what, I dont have a favorite family, I enjoy characters from various families and hopefully it stays that way!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,503 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

The Starks probably. They're a bit boring and nondescript but the most human of them all.

The Tyrells would be a close 2nd. They seem to have some bit of humanity in them but also determined and power hungry. Not cutthroat, but smart.

The Greyjoys are interesting. There's no fcuking about with them. They earn their keep and have no sense of entitlement. Not much materialism there at all. Still brutal savages though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Can we get a poll.

Not a family per se but I like the wildlings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

favorite family: Greyjoys
    favorite character: Arya

The Starks probably. They're a bit boring and nondescript but the most human of them all.

The Tyrells would be a close 2nd. They seem to have some bit of humanity in them but also determined and power hungry. Not cutthroat, but smart.

The Greyjoys are interesting. There's no fcuking about with them. They earn their keep and have no sense of entitlement. Not much materialism there at all. Still brutal savages though.
    I also like the Tyrell's and find them the most interesting so far. The Starks and Lannisters are long established families who are used to ruling by having a code. Ned's was honour and Tywin's was fear. As long as Ned ruled in the North he was fine but he couldn't wouldn't adapt to life in King's Landing, despite being given numerous warnings from his enemies and his pride cost him his head and put his kids in serious danger. Only at the very end, when his daughter's lives were at risk, did he swallow his pride and play the game a little.

*HUGE SPOILERS* *NON BOOK READERS DO NOT READ THIS*
    As for Tywin, for someone so obsessed with carrying on the family, his biggest downfall was his hatred for Tyrion. In the books, another Lannister relative (a sister or something) had a conversation with him where she told him that Tyrion was his true son, not Jamie. It's so true but Tywin was blind to this. Jamie has no interest in ruling and we saw what a good job Tyrion did when given the position of Hand of the King. Had Tywin embraced Tyrion, given him Casterly Rock and encouraged him to rule, I think the Lannisters would've survived the death of Tywin (obviously if he wasn't killed by Tyrion but if Tywin had respected Tyrion, he wouldn't have killed him!).

Tywin knew that one day he would die and his legacy would pass to his children but that is where his awareness stopped. He had one son with no interest in ruling, a daughter who was unfit for ruling and a son who was perfectly capable of playing the game and carrying on the family name but refused to acknowledge him. Tywin's death and not Joffrey's, was the real start to the unraveling of the Lannisters.

While Tywin was alive, he had instilled enough fear into the other houses that they were more likely to ally with him eg the Boltons, than revolt. As he had not established an heir of the same capacity as himself when he was alive, once he died, the other houses who had suffered under his reign are free to do as they please and many will probably want to seek retribution.

I find the Tyrells interesting because they are only climbing the power ladder. They are the second most powerful house and want to be the first. They have slowly built up their house and are the only ones so far to show social awareness. The other houses (and Stannis can be included in this) claim the throne by right and expect the citizens to accept their rule as absolute. The Tyrells are the first to utilise the power of PR and go to great lengths to feed the poor and seem accessible to the average citizen. Margery has made sure orphans are taken care of and is loved by the people. They are establishing themselves as someone you would want to have rule you, rather than someone who you have no say in.

Olenna and Margery are the driving force behind the Tyrells, which is unusual for that time. Usually it was males who made the decisions and if you wanted to take down a house, you called your bannermen and went into open rebellion. I find it ironic that Cersei was lecturing Margery about the Rains of Castamere. Cersei knew the Tyrells were a threat but lacked the finesse to play a more subtle game. When she ordered Pycelle to give the food to the dogs, she didn't realise that this would reflect badly on Joffrey, not Margery. Margery in her wedding speech clearly said "on the orders of King Joffrey...." so while Cersei thought she was having a petty win, she couldn't see that she was actually undermining Joffrey.

The Tyrells approach reminds me of Mean Girls :P ie all their fighting is sneaky. They are not above killing or sacrificing the odd pawn but they do it in such a subtle way that all out war and the deaths of thousands of innocent people is avoided. I wonder if they do get to be the most powerful house if they would be able to keep these standards or if after a certain amount of time, they would succumb to the old adage that absolute power corrupts, absolutely?

*BOOK READERS DO NOT READ*
    Tywin and Olenna were clearly equals but the main difference between them was that Olenna trained an heir ie Margery to take her place and Tywin didn't.

I'm really looking forward to see how the Tyrell story progresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,472 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Baratheon's or The Baratheon at this stage:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

The faceless men are a kind of family.

From a pure westrosi position I would pledge my alleigence to house martell, they seem to be the most Liberal/Progressive of all the houses.

dosent hurt that they live in the tropics and have the best food and wine

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

What about the Freys? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭thefa

Walder Frey is the only Frey we learn about in any detail and he's an untrustworthy, despicable character. Even putting aside all the other stuff that was done during the red wedding, he didn't even flinch when his wife had a knife to her throat and just says something like I'll get a new one so he's not even protective of his own family. His wife was young enough to be his grand daughter too. A person who genuinely likes the freys would have an odd choice of characteristic preferences in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

thefa wrote: »
    . His wife was young enough to be his grand daughter too.

Not only that, she probably WAS his granddaughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

We've left out the Tullys of Riverrun.
    An honourable sort, tho I never really warmed to Catelyn.
    Blackfish seemed to be alright and Edmure even went ahead with the arranged marriage in the end. Lysa (Arryn) is a bit of craic too.

thefa wrote: »
    Walder Frey is the only Frey we learn about in any detail and he's an untrustworthy, despicable character. Even putting aside all the other stuff that was done during the red wedding, he didn't even flinch when his wife had a knife to her throat and just says something like I'll get a new one so he's not even protective of his own family. His wife was young enough to be his grand daughter too. A person who genuinely likes the freys would have an odd choice of characteristic preferences in my opinion.
    She could be his great great grand daugther. He's in his 90's and she's only 14.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Jon Snow is my favourite book character.
    Tyrion is my favourite from the show followed by the Hound.

Favourite family is the obvious, Stark, but i do like the old school Targaryen and the one remaining one, though she can hardly be called a family on her own.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭beauty101

Favourite Family: Stark, although I never warmed to Ned/Catelyn/Rob
    Favourite Character: Tyrion/Arya/Sansa/The Hound

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SeanJ09

Favourite Family: The Starks
    Favourite Characters: Tywin, Arya, The Hound, and The Blackfish (can't wait to see more of him in the series).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Is everyone's favourite character the same in book and show? I prefered the Tullys in the book.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I suppose predictably my favourite family is the Starks - but GRRM clearly wants us to love them. Tyrion's my favourite character.

I feel we could cut everything to do with the Ironborn. I skim read their chapters. There better be some big payoff for reading their dull story.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Family: Stark
    Character: Arya/Tyrion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Hmmmmm....I'd like to see more of Briennes family, she's cool. I like the Mormonts too.

Probably the old school Targaryens for favourite family.

My favourite character is Jaime Lannister, I do like the complexity of his character, capable of evil but has a conscience about other matters. Brave as anything too.

I'm warming more to tv show Loras Tyrell.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I suppose predictably my favourite family is the Starks - but GRRM clearly wants us to love themSo it' Tyrion's my favourite character.

I feel we could cut everything to do with the Ironborn. I skim read their chapters. There better be some big payoff for reading their dull story.

As major families go, it was just the starks and lannisters In it from the start, one is honourable and the other not so. So it's no surprise they're most people's favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

Oh confusion! :D

I think all of the houses are interesting. But that's because of the characters that control them.

For example, would the Lannisters be as interesting if a quiet pious type was in charge? No. Tywin is a fantastic character. He's complex, to be feared, but you can understand where he is coming from.

The Starks kind of put the "Noble" into Nobility. But again that came from Ned and his belief system.

Ignoring the likes of the mad King, the Targaryen's are a fascinating bunch.

Its hard to side with a house, because my favourite characters come from them all. Tywin, Tyrion, The Blackfish, Dany, Arya, to name a few. But these are the characters that you are supposed to like. You are meant to form a connection with the likes of Ned, just so his beheading is shocking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Is everyone's favourite character the same in book and show? I prefered the Tullys in the book.

I didnt like the Hound in the book but I love tv Hound.

Initially I was disappointed with tv Loras Tyrell as I had him imagined as less foppish and more macho, but the actor has really brought a lot to the character and I like him more and more on tv.

One of the things about the show is though, that even when I dont like the character, I love the characterisation. Joffrey and Tywin being brilliant examples of this.

Advertisement