Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cracking letter in today's IT

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Seagulling

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Post deleted

1w58.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: alot of posts deleted, none were bad but it was dragging the thread off topic,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

MOD VOICE: On holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

one side note, i really believe attitudes to other road users need to be thought as part of the testing process.

On the tests I did very little on cyclists or pedestrians ever came and nothing aside from sign posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

manafana wrote: »
    one side note, i really believe attitudes to other road users need to be thought as part of the testing process.

On the tests I did very little on cyclists or pedestrians ever came and nothing aside from sign posts.

Starting cycle craft in school might be one way of getting an appreciation into people that there's more to life than the car. It would mean everyone starts at a common base and that cyclists as the most vulnerable road users are to respected and not seen as a non 'road tax' paying annoyance.

We've become one of the most car dependent societies on the planet over these past 15 - 20 years, so it's hard for someone brought up in the psyche that the only way to get from A - B is by car, even if the journey can be walked or cycled.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

Googling his name shows him up as a taxi driver who was fined for not filing his income tax return.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭4umbrellas

Odd. Most taxi drivers love cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭buffalo

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

buffalo wrote: »
    Is that this definition?
    You used to be such a nice boy. What have we done to you?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

This is just the latest of a set of anti-bus lane letters to the Irish Times.

Thread on this over in C&T: http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057185725/1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Lumen wrote: »
    You used to be such a nice boy. What have we done to you?

That fall off the bike has dislodged or re-lodged something in his head!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

lennymc wrote: »
    in fairness, some (not all) of what he says is valid (although it's not conveyed particularly well).

The dangerous, inconsiderate and reckless behaviour of many of the "bike-to-work" cyclist brigade certainly needs to be challenged - not least, in their own interests. The specific wording and points raised in that letter probably not the way I would have gone about it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

porsche959 wrote: »
    The dangerous, inconsiderate and reckless behaviour of many of the "bike-to-work" cyclist brigade certainly needs to be challenged - not least, in their own interests. The specific wording and points raised in that letter probably not the way I would have gone about it though.

Couldn't stretch to a 911, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Couldn't stretch to a 911, no?
    I think you'd better stick to bikes where you can at least feign expertise. The 959 is one of the greatest cars ever made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

That first example was bad, but the second one was horrible, yet funny. What is wrong with some people?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Lumen wrote: »
    I think you'd better stick to bikes where you can at least feign expertise. The 959 is one of the greatest cars ever made.

959. Drool. I used to have a poster of that on my wall. I think in many ways it contributed to my seagulling.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭bambergbike

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Starting cycle craft in school might be one way of getting an appreciation into people that there's more to life than the car.

It would help, I think, but part of the problem is that bikes are sometimes seen as toys for childen and adult cyclists are regarded as a bit self-indulgent. It's hard to stress cycle training for kids without reinforcing the silly stereotype that cycling is just for kids.

I would also like to see more mobility training in addition to cycle training. Kids (from pre-schoolers through to Leaving Cert and beyond) need to get the basic concept that journeys can be made by different modes to suit different circumstances and that choosing a mode (or combination of modes) is about making rational choices and capitalizing on the advantages offered by one mode or trying to avoid the disadvantages of another. Planes are handy for very long journeys, trains and cars for medium-length journeys, cycling and buses for shorter journeys (that are still a bit far to walk) and walking for very short journeys.

By the time kids are six or seven, they should have several solid years of intensive mobility and safety training under their belts and be ready to strike out on their own (for very short, basic journeys initially, like walking,biking or getting the bus to school).

Mobility planning is very relevant for adults as well - workplace travel plans and so on - employees should get the chance to sit down with a mobility consultant who does a proper SWOT analysis of their different travel options with them and suggests possible changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭buffalo

Well, this is a first.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

Well, this is a first.

Didn't make the cut?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,959 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

kenmc wrote: »
    Was I the only one watching that thinking "if he punctures out now he'll never get his camera/phone back"
    It looks like they have a pior arrangement with the truck driver to create the vacuum for them. The cyclist on the right moves out regularly to make gestures via the drivers mirror regarding increasing speed etc. I presume he had a holder fitted in advance to the rear of the truck for the camera/phone as it seems quite secure and positioned well.

Well, this is a first.

Happens to everyone once, just don't let it weigh on your mind or it will happen again.

It would help, I think, but part of the problem is that bikes are sometimes seen as toys for childen and adult cyclists are regarded as a bit self-indulgent. It's hard to stress cycle training for kids without reinforcing the silly stereotype that cycling is just for kids.

I'm taken it by you user name you're either German or posting from Germany? You'll see there's a huge difference between attitudes to cycling there and here. In my experience there, biking is much more part of daily life - kids in trailers, people with bikes going to the shops and going about there business. There was no animosity (from what I could see, anyway) between motorists and cars. No 'them an us', just people going about their daily business. Here, motorists see a sense of injustice that someone can hop on a bike and head off on their merry way. The whole 'road tax' debate as well as the bizarre notion that only cyclists break reds lights seem to be recurring themes here that motorists use to beat up cyclists.
    I would also like to see more mobility training in addition to cycle training. Kids (from pre-schoolers through to Leaving Cert and beyond) need to get the basic concept that journeys can be made by different modes to suit different circumstances and that choosing a mode (or combination of modes) is about making rational choices and capitalizing on the advantages offered by one mode or trying to avoid the disadvantages of another. Planes are handy for very long journeys, trains and cars for medium-length journeys, cycling and buses for shorter journeys (that are still a bit far to walk) and walking for very short journeys.

I completely agree but I think kids here have gotten very lazy and sedentary - I also think the battle for car dependency here was lost some time ago and it's long way back to get people walking and cycling on short journeys again. Public transport is seen (probably sometimes justifiably) as dirty and irregular / unreliable. Kids are being driver crazy short distances - we all have heard the stories about kids being driven on Halloween rounds, to and from the toilets at Gaa games and neighbours dropping them back from play dates from a couple of hundred meters away. Cycling is in a minority and perceived as dangerous, dirty (i.e. difficulties with showering) and slow.
    By the time kids are six or seven, they should have several solid years of intensive mobility and safety training under their belts and be ready to strike out on their own (for very short, basic journeys initially, like walking,biking or getting the bus to school).

I suppose this happens on some level, again more on a minority basis. The vast majority of kids are still ferried to school by car - sometimes a few hundred meters - it's a long way back to try and convince people that other alternatives are perfectly acceptable and that the car becomes the last choice for school runs. Can't see this happening anytime soon.

Mobility planning is very relevant for adults as well - workplace travel plans and so on - employees should get the chance to sit down with a mobility consultant who does a proper SWOT analysis of their different travel options with them and suggests possible changes.

Agree, maybe a mobility consultant is too far - some common sense also works. My model for work is to cycle, park up and use the Luas to get into town from where I am for meetings etc. Out of the 13 odd people in my office, there's only 2 of us that do this (the other colleague travels to an from the city centre to our office by Luas). We have situations where 4 cars will set off to the same meeting. The Luas, the nearest stop which is a 5 minute walk away, is seen as inconvenient (an App will show what time the next one is - so you can plan your journey perfectly), dangerous (i.e. anti-social behaviour, muggings etc), unreliable and dirty. And this is s a high quality service on par with anything I've seen in Europe. People still think I'm crazy using this in and out of town. For me it's a no brainer - no parking fees, no stress of traffic and I can read a paper or catch up on a few emails while travelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

4umbrellas wrote: »
    Odd. Most taxi drivers love cyclists.

And paying their taxes.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    And paying their taxes.

There's a certain irony in a taxi driver pontificating to cyclists about the ROTR.

I wouldn't agree, being from the country I was driving (off road) in tractors and cars from a very young age and alot of time was put into my training but I would not associate driving a Tractor with being childish, I think that in schools national and secondary, more training on road use, be it in the form of walking, cycling and driving be enforced so that not only does no one have an excuse but also that common sense and safety are enforced at a young age.
    I completely agree but I think kids here have gotten very lazy and sedentary - I also think the battle for car dependency here was lost some time ago and it's long way back to get people walking and cycling on short journeys again. Public transport is seen (probably sometimes justifiably) as dirty and irregular / unreliable.
    There is also the issue that unlike 20 or 30 years ago, there is a greater fear for our children. The fears that jump to my mind when my daughter is not home in time are far removed from the annoyance my mother would have had when I did not return home no time.

CramCycle wrote: »
    There is also the issue that unlike 20 or 30 years ago, there is a greater fear for our children. The fears that jump to my mind when my daughter is not home in time are far removed from the annoyance my mother would have had when I did not return home no time.
    Do you think these fears are justified?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭idiottje

There's a certain irony in a taxi driver pontificating to cyclists about the ROTR.

I had a taxi driver draft me this morning in a bus lane. If I had to swerve to avoid a pot hole or pedestrian he would have been over me. He backed off when he saw I had my video cam on. Still deciding if I am going to report it to the law, or carriage office...... When I did pass him at the next set of lights he tried to tell me I should have been in the cycle lane on the pathway. In less words and more expletives.

idiottje wrote: »
    Still deciding if I am going to report it to the law, or carriage office.
    Go with both. More chance of something actually happening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

CramCycle wrote: »

If you're referring to stranger danger, revelations over the last few decades would suggest that the real risks were much closer to home and to cherished institutions.

In my opinion, the safety risks, while real, must be kept in perspective and dealt with rationally.

There are more than a few people in this country who are too afraid to let their daughters cycle to secondary school, for example, but who have a very relaxed or naive attitude towards the consumption of alcohol.

Advertisement