Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** Important *** Feedback Required V2

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Might be worth asking Root if there is anything he would like to keep from Eve i wouldnt even know where to start with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Myrddin wrote: »
    This is all nearly ready to go ahead. Before it does though, it was brought up in this thread about saving content from forums due to be retired. The following forums are due for retirement, so if anyone wants anything saved from them, please post a link to required threads in this thread & we'll move/save it. Thanks :)

1) Star Wars: TOR & EVE Online
    2) Trophy Manager
    3) Guitar Hereo & Rockband
    4) The Sims
    5) RPG's
    6) Strategy
    7) The Survival Sandbox
    8) Webgames - Please move content to Steam & Valve

Strategy - All of it. One of the oldest forums on the site and the threads from the earlier years (2001-2003) sum up the enormous differences between then and now. To delete that content would be appalling to me as a user from back then. I don't mind where it goes, so long as its not deleted and accessible in some form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

nesf wrote: »
    Strategy - All of it. One of the oldest forums on the site and the threads from the earlier years (2001-2003) sum up the enormous differences between then and now. To delete that content would be appalling to me as a user from back then. I don't mind where it goes, so long as its not deleted and accessible in some form.

Well nothing gets deleted when a forum is retired. The content is moved out into a separate area, that regular users, mods & Cmods don't see. Admins retain access, however. Regards Strategy, it's fifty odd pages & over a thousand threads...there's no easy way to do it on my end, but I've asked the question..we'll sort something out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Let me know what threads you want saved.

Well nothing gets deleted when a forum is retired. The content is moved out into a separate area, that regular users, mods & Cmods don't see. Admins retain access, however. Regards Strategy, it's fifty odd pages & over a thousand threads...there's no easy way to do it on my end, but I've asked the question..we'll sort something out.

There's not much difference between deleting stuff and moving it somewhere almost no one can see (like, that is exactly what happens when a thread or post is deleted on here). I agree, it's not your problem and moving all the threads would be unreasonable using the mod tools. It could be done with admin tools but bad things happen when Dav goes to play with those. ;)

For the moving to PC Gaming forum question, you should really be posting this question in the forum and asked people what they want saved. And telling them the forum is going to be closed, I'd put money on people not knowing.

• Advertisement

There's not much difference between deleting stuff and moving it somewhere almost no one can see (like, that is exactly what happens when a thread or post is deleted on here).

There is though :) If someone asks for something back it can be done easily enough. Ideally though, I'd like everything that people want saved, before the move, as content may be forgotten otherwise, hence me unlocking this thread & asking people what they want saved.
    I agree, it's not your problem and moving all the threads would be unreasonable using the mod tools. It could be done with admin tools but bad things happen when Dav goes to play with those. ;)

I didn't mean to imply that 'it's not my problem'. I'll happily do what I can & move things manually if needs be, I'm waiting to hear back if there's an easier way first though.
    For the moving to PC Gaming forum question, you should really be posting this question in the forum and asked people what they want saved. And telling them the forum is going to be closed, I'd put money on people not knowing.

I've asked the relevant mods to make those announcements in the affected forums, hopefully by this evening there'll be a thread in each of the closing forums.

Edit:

RPG's
    Strategy
    EVE Online
    Star Wars: TOR
    Trophy Manager (No posts since Dec '12, I wouldn't worry too much about this one)
    Guitar Hero & Rockband
    The Sims
    The Survival Sandbox
    Webgames

We've decided to give the forums being retired a tad more time, just so everyone knows what's going on. The changes this morning have been as follows:
    1) Rename the Steam & Valve forum to PC Gaming
    2) Move it to the Consoles sub-cat
    3) Rename consoles sub-cat to Gaming Platforms

4) Rename Shooters sub-cat as Popular Games
    5) Move Starcraft, Elder Scrolls, Minecraft, & Pokemon to Popular Games
    6) Create a new sub-cat called Game Development, Editing & Recording
    7) Move the Game Development & Editing, and Game Recording forums to the above new sub-cat

8) Move JRPG's out into the main tier as it's own forum
    9) Retire Star Wars: The Old Republic & EVE Online
    10) Retire the Trophy Manager forum
    11) Retire Guitar Hero & Rockband, and The Sims forums

12) Rename Mobile Gaming to Mobile Games (it sits better in Games that way)
    13) Retire Strategy* & RPG's forums
    14) Retire The Survival Sandbox
    15) Retire the Webgames forum

• Registered Users Posts: 28,878 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Hate when people tidy/move stuff around. Now I can't find anything!

:)

Games dropdown definitely looks less cluttered.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Hate when people tidy/move stuff around. Now I can't find anything!

:)

Games dropdown definitely looks less cluttered.

I hate change myself, though I'm quickly getting used to the new dropdown. It'll get even less cluttered when the forums due for retirement get removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Perhaps the Oculus Rift, star citizen and elite Dangerous threads should be moved to PC gaming since they are PC only?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056843117
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056998233
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056743469

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Status Offline

Probably same with DayZ and Rust and a few others as well. They're busy threads so could push a bit more traffic towards that Board.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I hate change myself, though I'm quickly getting used to the new dropdown. It'll get even less cluttered when the forums due for retirement get removed.

took me ages to find it :D

after i've clicked onto the games category from the main boards.ie section it brings me to the games forum which is in the old forum format, and that hasnt got the new categorys in it at all, in fact it still has RPG's and Strategy and even command and conquer in it :D

I cant be the only one that's happened to.. any chance of a signpost to it for awkward people like me that haven't found it yet?

or a note/update to the most important threads thread which is stickied above

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

It works better if you use the "new" skin...I only changed a few days ago myself :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/profile.php?do=editoptions

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

yeah it would but i'm stuck in my old ways :) I like the familiarity of the old style setup

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

VhdCSSj.jpg

So when's this going to be fixed? Shouldn't it be Games General, Video Game Generals or something like that?
    Discuss any type of video games or real-world games here.

Real-world games just don't seem like they belong here - I'd assume anyone involved in airsoft scene etc would go to a more specific forum as this one seems very video-game heavy and non-video-game threads don't do so well (from what I've personally seen).

VhdCSSj.jpg

So when's this going to be fixed? Shouldn't it be Games General, Video Game Generals or something like that?

Nope, that's correct. Boards -> Games Category -> Games forum
    Real-world games just don't seem like they belong here - I'd assume anyone involved in airsoft scene etc would go to a more specific forum as this one seems very video-game heavy and non-video-game threads don't do so well (from what I've personally seen).

Noted, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 81,992 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

LARPing being an exception

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Overheal wrote: »

I'm very much liking the activity in the new PC Gaming forum, the concept seems to be working well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

I'm very much liking the activity in the new PC Gaming forum, the concept seems to be working well.
    My OCD isn't, I just can't find it in me to click "Mark as Read"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Seeing as we're in the mood to fix stuff...

The "Boards.ie New" theme is missing the 'Minecraft' forum from the menu. I think I reported this to Dav a few years back...

fbiOb3b.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Old skins = no longer supported so it won't be getting fixed or even looked at.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Shiminay wrote: »
    Old skins = no longer supported so it won't be getting fixed or even looked at.

Hmmm, how do we know what is an old or new skin? I had no idea that the one I use was no longer supported.

Jeez that looks bloated :o For the record, here's how the new one sits currently (RPG's will be removed shortly)

ekhpom.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Ponster wrote: »
    Hmmm, how do we know what is an old or new skin? I had no idea that the one I use was no longer supported.

Basically, anything that isn't "Forum Default" on the bottom of this page is an old skin and will probably be killed off before the end of the year (but that's not something I'm 1005 certain of yet).

Overheal wrote: »

LARPing is always an exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Shouldn't Chess be a subforum of Tabletop and Board Gaming. And I would put Fantasy Sports Arena in Rec or Sports

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

ShaneU wrote: »
    Shouldn't Chess be a subforum of Tabletop and Board Gaming. And I would put Fantasy Sports Arena in Rec or Sports

Don't open that can of worms.

ShaneU wrote: »

There are strong moves within the Chess community to have Chess considered as a sport, in fact, a lot of the posters there would have it moved to Sports given their way. The game is taken very seriously, & if you want to wade in & tell them they're better as a board-gaming subforum, then dress for warm weather :o In all seriousness, this suggestion of moving to Tabletop & Board Games was considered quite some time ago, but it's a step in the wrong direction for the home of Chess on Boards. Having it as a main-tier forum under Games, was the best compromise at the time.

As for Fantasy Sports Arena, my initial thought is "playing Fantasy Sports isn't a sport...it's a game" :o

Advertisement