Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl cycling shoes - any use?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Got a pair of these in LIDL warehouse today for €20, more so on impulse because of the bargain

Very new to cycling, building up to 20k return commute to work, do it once a week

Attaching out of the box pedals that came with my road bike. Thought I would check with the more knowledgable folks here, what options do I have with shoes and pedals?

There's one big incline on the commute and I read that correct shoes can make a difference!

Anyone still looking, there's a few black pairs in 9 (seemed to be all 9's) and I got the last white ones. Loads of yellow ones left in Fonthill warehouse

Thanks! :)

You will need a set of pedals that you can clip into? The pedal in your pic looks like a standard pedal? The ones that people have mentioned above are dual usage. One side is flat like a normal pedal and the other has an SPD clip in system. So you can switch between the two, if you need to. Or use normal shoes, with the normal pedal side.

If it is of any use to you (and OK with the mods?) I have a brand new/unused set of the Shimano M324, mentioned above, that I was going to return to CRC, that you can have for 30e, I paid 32.50 in January. PM me if you want. I'm close enough to Fonthill (Mods, feel free to delete the offer bit if it is breaking the rules)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Anyone have an opinion on the Aldi cycling shoes from yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 hesus2003

Friend bought a pair of aldi cycling shoes he is looking for pedals and cleats. There are four holes on bottom of shoe am I right on thinking you only use 2 to bolts cleats to shoe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

hesus2003 wrote: »
    Friend bought a pair of aldi cycling shoes he is looking for pedals and cleats. There are four holes on bottom of shoe am I right on thinking you only use 2 to bolts cleats to shoe?

They're for MTB cleats. Four point connection. I use MTB pedals on my road bike because I'm a saddo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Yeah just two of the four..

Got a pair of these, not bad for the money and do the job.

• Advertisement

They're for MTB cleats. Four point connection. I use MTB pedals on my road bike because I'm a saddo.

Can I join the club..

mtb A 520 pedals, have to say I find them brilliant and the guy in the LBS said it makes sense using mtb around town-commuting-recreational.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 hesus2003

There is 4 holes on the aldi does which 2 are best to use?

Depends,

Try both and go for a spin, it's only an inch between them but either one could be the difference between comfort and pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Thargor wrote: »
    Anyone have an opinion on the Aldi cycling shoes from yesterday?
    I got a pair the other day. I have nothing to compare them to but they seem fine to me so far. Might be no harm double checking the size, I'm 9 1/2 or 10 in most other shoes but the 9 is plenty big on me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Lidl in Artane still has a basket full of the shoes from a few weeks ago, also have a few pairs of bibs and shoft shell jackets and some helmets, if anyone is looking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Do they have room to slide up and down a small bit? I know the Lidl ones do.

I did a fair bit of reading up on cleats a few months ago, being new to them myself. The general rule of thumb (unless you are a sprinter/racer) seems to be that the first knuckle of your big toe, the first "cuneiform" at the ball of the foot end, should be inline with the middle of the pedal. That more of less puts the ball of your foot on the pedal.

Probably a good starting point and tweak as needed.

In saying that I read a blog/article about 4 or 5 weeks ago and it gave me a whole new set of legs when I moved the cleats back about 10 mm.
    The difference was just unbelievable. It reduces "heel drop" and less use of the calf muscles. And when you think about how your leg/ankle/foot works/transmits the power via peddling, it makes perfect sense.

Hope some of that helps.

Advertisement