Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glass on Dublin City Streets

Options
  • 14-04-2014 8:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or does anyone else notice an increase in the amounts of broken glass on the city streets, a number of my co workers cycle from various parts and the number of punctures are on the increase, 1 guy in particular.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Has he checked his tyre pressures recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

The guy in question checks the pressure before leaving the house each morning, he has had 3 in the last 10-12 days also recently purchased new gator skin tyres, he thinks its a conspiracy by the tube makers more punctures = more sales!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Bloggsie wrote: »
    he thinks its a conspiracy by the tube makers more punctures = more sales!
    Yeah, when I see glass on the road, I too always suspect international tyre manufacturers as the culprit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I've noticed a huge increase in the amount of glass, ending up in a rake of punctures. Different wheels, new tyres, new tubes, etc. Always running 110ish psi. Some roads seem worse than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The guy in question checks the pressure before leaving the house each morning,
    Does he check for correct pressure? (Checking pressure for some means squeezing the tyre to ensure it isn't flat).

Tyres also need to be deflated for regular inspection and removal of shards of glass, flint etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

There is a huge amount of glass on the road, there always was though. I haven't been for a spin yet this year that did not include glass on the road. Puncture city!
    Town on Saturday and especially Sunday mornings is hideous for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

I run these on my MTB and commute 200km a week in and out of the city center

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/schwalbe-marathon-plus-26-bike-tyre-smartguard/rp-prod24542

Coming up to a year now and 1 puncture (which was caused by riding over a nail)

Run at very high PSI, I use a track pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭bloomfield

There seems to be glass on roads everywhere in the city. After 3 punctures in the space of a month, I eventually ordered some puncture-resistant tyres. I also try to avoid cycling in the gutter where the worst of it accumulates.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,887 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I used to make these threads and threads asking for help with all my flat tyres, some routes around Bray have to be seen to be believed, then I was told by someone on here to put Gatorskins on, havent had a puncture in about 18 months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

To be honest, for piece of mind commuting in Dublin, puncture resistance tyres are a must. There's loads of glass about, especially after weekends. I don't think there's more glass per se, they've just given up with the street sweepers (when's the last time you saw one of these driving around?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Got my first puncture in about 15,000km of commuting last week*. Two nails. Maybe I've been lucky but I use either Rubinios or Zaffiros and keep the pressure reasonably high 115 rear/100 front for me at 72kg. I'm not sure any tyre would have kept those nails out last week.

*I'll probably get a load more now that I've posted this.

... in about 15,000km of commuting last week*....
    That's savage! :D

That's savage! :D
    yep, thats it you've just put the hex on yourself!

yep, thats it you've just put the hex on yourself!
    Was referring to NMG managing 15,000km last week!

yes, i did spot the sarcasm alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I have gator skins & have been getting lots of punctures lately.

I'm 98kg & run 25mm gator skins at 105psi which I check & adjust every day.

I deflated the tyres yesterday & spent 30 mins taking out shards of glass.
    Couldn't believe how much glass there was

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭OnLooker

I got a terrible puncture last week. A 2 inch screw went through my tyre and tube. I couldn't get it out when my hands. The roads are shocking. I had to walk 10km home.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Tenzor07 wrote: »

The Daily Mail has a pathological hatred of cyclists. Some of the comments on that article are hilarious, road tax, single file, blah blah blah

....I deflated the tyres yesterday & spent 30 mins taking out shards of glass.
    Couldn't believe how much glass there was
    How often have you being doing that?

Ideally it should be done weekly and after every long spin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Two punctures in two days feck my life!
    Least I caught today's before I left!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Tenzor07 wrote: »

Y'know posting links to the Daily Mail does nothing but increase their advertising revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I cycle daily via the inner city glass fields (twice!) yet two last punctures were thorns, not glass, in the culchieside.

My tyres are not specifically punctureproof (Kojaks), but have some kind of protection - when I was running Vittorias Open Corsas I used to get a flat every week or two...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Alek wrote: »
    I cycle via the inner city glass weeks daily (twice!) yet two last punctures were thorns, not glass, in the culchieside.

My tyres are not specifically punctureproof (Kojaks), but have some kind of protection - when I was running Vittorias Open Corsas I used to get a flat every week or two...

I'm a twice a day through the City centre man as well, haven't had a puncture in a couple of months, and even then it was a slow puncture which was manageable. I was running cheap Vittorias (13 quid a tire) which I found to be great, I've since replaced one with a GP4000s on the rear, and still run the cheap up front. It's as good as every.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Jabel

I travel through Dublin city centre every day and I notice the
    glass is noticeably worse on the north side. I'm genuinely not
    trying to open up a southside/northside argument here, it's
    an honest opinion...promise

can of worms = open

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

U sure those worms weren't in a GLASS bottle? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Jabel wrote: »
    I travel through Dublin city centre every day and I notice the
    glass is noticeably worse on the north side. I'm genuinely not
    trying to open up a southside/northside argument here, it's
    an honest opinion...promise

can of worms = open

As a Northsider, i have to agree with that, there are some areas that have constant glass on the roads (really think i need to change how i get to work)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

gadetra wrote: »
    There is a huge amount of glass on the road, there always was though.
    Yeas ago there wasn't as much, in my day everyone I knew cycled to school and I very rarely got punctures.

I seriously largely blame the rise in cheap beer bottles in the last 10-15 years or so. When I was going to school I can only remember 1 of my friends who drank bottled beer, it was relatively very expensive. Nowadays €1 or less is standard and a lot higher % of beer is sold in bottles.

I don't even go out of my way to avoid glass -since I got my marathon plus tyres.

.., I've since replaced one with a GP4000s on the rear....
    I rarely puncture (about 1 per 5,000kms) but bought a pair of GP4000's based on the multitude of recommendations on Boards. I got a puncture on their first outing! :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I rarely puncture (about 1 per 5,000kms) but bought a pair of GP4000's based on the multitude of recommendations on Boards. I got a puncture on their first outing! :(

Don't jinx me! I've a few hundred km on it so far and it's looking very clean all considered!

Advertisement