Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CyanogenMod Users Thread

Options
  • 12-04-2014 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm guessing there are a lot of Android users on here with CyanogenMod http://www.cyanogenmod.org on their phone or who would like to put CyanogenMod onto their phone so perhaps we could start a thread where users can help each other with installation, functionality etc?

I'm new to CM and believe it has a lot of customisation options. What cool options have you discovered/implemented???

Ben
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

I'd love a step by step guide to getting it on my note 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Is there not an installer you can download now that pretty much does it all for you?

I know it was on play store and Google removed it....

@OP - plenty of CM threads on the forum already....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

there is an installer on the website - does it come with GApps installed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Running CM 11 M5 snapshot on my s3. Think its the job. Handy way to go about automatically rooting the phone and installing a custom recovery with the windows installer if the real way is a bit cryptic as it is for me.

A few things confuse me though, i don't understand the gapps issue, they appeared to be installed when i first installed CM 11 from stock but everything i read on cyanogenmod website would suggest they need to be installed from a separate zip, which i did anyway just in case.

Also when i did the installation from the installer it put a build version that wasn't listed on the downloads page of the website, so later i just downloaded a snapshot version direct and installed that through recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Here ya go - http://beta.download.cyanogenmod.org/install

I followed that guide for my Note II and I had CM 10.2 installed in about 5 minutes flat, no drama whatsoever.

Hope that helps you.

Ben

there is an installer on the website - does it come with GApps installed?

I think it does Baldy. I certainly had no issue with the Play store of Gmail etc.

Ben

Fieldog wrote: »
    @OP - plenty of CM threads on the forum already....

Hi Fieldog, I did have a good search before starting this thread but couldn't find anything which represented a broad discussion of CM and acted as an ongoing support group for people who would like to know more about CM. The other threads I found were generally all focused on a single issue the OP of the thread had.

Ben

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Running CM 11 M5 snapshot on my s3. Think its the job.

How did you install CM 11 M5 Snapshot Sentient? Was it via the installer APK? I thought you could only install the last stable version (i.e. 10.2) using that method??

Ben

BenThere wrote: »
    How did you install CM 11 M5 Snapshot Sentient? Was it via the installer APK? I thought you could only install the last stable version (i.e. 10.2) using that method??

Ben

The installer put some version of CM11 on the phone, a version/build number that very strangely wasn't listed on the download page of cyanogenmod, but it was definately CM11 android 4.4.2. i just downloaded the zip for M4, then later M5, and installed from recovery. Even if the installer had put 10.2 you'd still be able to do that. Because you have a custom recovery after the installer does its thing.

• Advertisement

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Even if the installer had put 10.2 you'd still be able to do that. Because you have a custom recovery after the installer does its thing.

How do you get into the Custom Recovery on CM? I tried Power + Sound Up + Home button but all that does is reboot the phone. CORRECTION: I powered off the phone and THEN used Power + Sound Up + Home button until the Samsung Galaxy logo came up at which point I released the buttons and bingo I'm in ClockWorkMod Recovery V6.0.4.3

Looks like my ROM flashing days are coming back!!!

So, what's so good about CM11 M5 then????

Ben

How do you get into the Custom Recovery on CM? I tried Power + Sound Up + Home button but all that does is reboot the phone. CORRECTION: I powered off the phone and THEN used Power + Sound Up + Home button until the Samsung Galaxy logo came up at which point I released the buttons and bingo I'm in ClockWorkMod Recovery V6.0.4.3

Looks like my ROM flashing days are coming back!!!

So, what's so good about CM11 M5 then????

Ben

For me it was just to keep up to date, no other reason, battery life seems vastly improved though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,951 ✭✭✭G1032

Flashed it onto my S3 with that beta installer.
    No network signal.............
    Restoring my nandroid backup now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

I tested recently cyanogenmod account - it looks good, but I could not get the location of my phone from the web account. Does it work for anyone?

PrzemoF wrote: »
    it looks good, but I could not get the location of my phone from the web account. Does it work for anyone?
    Hi PrzemoF, can you explain a bit more please? Not sure what it is you were testing? How can I test if it's working on my phone?

Ben

Hi PrzemoF, can you explain a bit more please? Not sure what it is you were testing? How can I test if it's working on my phone?

Ben

Sure!
    Go to Settings -> Accounts and register a new cyanogenmod account unless you already have one.

Then go to https://account.cyanogenmod.org on and test if the location function works for you. If wasn't working for me.

Info about the account: https://account.cyanogenmod.org/help

TL;DR : By establishing a CyanogenMod Account you will have, at minimum, access to "Find My Phone" and "Remote Wipe" capabilities for your device.

Sure!
    Go to Settings -> Accounts and register a new cyanogenmod account unless you already have one.

Then go to https://account.cyanogenmod.org on and test if the location function works for you. If wasn't working for me.

Info about the account: https://account.cyanogenmod.org/help

TL;DR : By establishing a CyanogenMod Account you will have, at minimum, access to "Find My Phone" and "Remote Wipe" capabilities for your device.

Worked a treat for me. I'm sitting in my office and it took the webiste about 10 seconds to pop up a map with a circle around the building I'm in.

Have you checked your location settings to make sure they are enabled i.e. Settings -> Location Access -> Access to my location turned on and GPS and/or Wi-Fi and mobile network location turned on?

You get similar functionality from Googles own "Device Manager" service, see https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.adm

A pal of mine gave his 9 year old daughter a loan of his new Nexus 7 as she was going to a Feis in City West. Of course in the excitement there she left it on her seat, came back and it was gone. He called me to see if there was any way to trace it. I got her email address and password and two minutes later I could tell him where it was within 15 yards. Long story short is that it was recovered.

Ben

I have agps permanently off, but the phone had normal gps fix when I was testing it, so that shouldn't matter.
    I'll test it again.

P.S. I can't make it work :-/

Did you try with Google Device Manager? If it doesn't work with either CM or Google Device Manager I'd say the issue is with your settings or the phone itself.

Ben

Did you try with Google Device Manager? If it doesn't work with either CM or Google Device Manager I'd say the issue is with your settings or the phone itself.

Ben
    No, I did not - thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Feel free to ask me about any questions about CM and the whole rooting / ROM process, I've been using it since version 6.1 on the HTC G1 and have use every variant up to CM11 now (on an Xperia Z1) so there is very little that I have not experienced with it ;)

advertsfox wrote: »
    Feel free to ask me about any questions about CM and the whole rooting / ROM process, I've been using it since version 6.1 on the HTC G1 and have use every variant up to CM11 now (on an Xperia Z1) so there is very little that I have not experienced with it ;)

You're the man so AdvertsFox. I hereby propose that you be promoted to chief cook and bottle washer on this here CM forum providing you can answer at least 3 of the following questions correctly in language a layman like myself can understand :P

1. Is there an ability to set quiet times on CM? On Samsung's version of 4.3. there was a setting which allowed you to turn off all sound and notifications from Xpm to Yam plus you could whitelist people who's calls/texts you did want to take during the quiet period. Anything like that on CM 10.2?

2. I have a Note 2 and I see there is a recent CM 11 nightly build. Good idea / bad idea to go from stable 10.2 to nightly 11? I looked for a changelog / features list Vs 10.2 but can't find anything.

3. What is the recommended process for flashing nightlies with minimum fuss whilst retaining all your apps, all your app data (including text messages etc) and your launcher settings? When I was regularly flashing ROMs a few years ago I used Titanium Backup. Is that still the way to go?

4. In CWM Recovery I have an option to do what I believe is referred to as a Nandroid backup. I'm offered options to "backup to /sdcard" and "backup to /storage/sdcard1". Which of the two options refers to the 32GB external micro SDHC card I have installed? I'm thinking it's "backup to /storage/sdcard1" but that's just a guess.

Ben

[..]

1. Is there an ability to set quiet times on CM? On Samsung's version of 4.3. there was a setting which allowed you to turn off all sound and notifications from Xpm to Yam plus you could whitelist people who's calls/texts you did want to take during the quiet period. Anything like that on CM 10.2?
    [..]
    check Settings->Sounds->Automation & Effects and just below that there is "Quiet hours". I'm not sure about CM10.2 as I have CM11

check Settings->Sounds->Automation & Effects and just below that there is "Quiet hours". I'm not sure about CM10.2 as I have CM11
    Thanks, it's there all right but it doesn't affect incoming calls, they still ring through normally :( The ability to screen out all calls except those from (for example) close family/friends was a nice feature in the Samsung implementation of this idea.

Ben

Thanks, it's there all right but it doesn't affect incoming calls, they still ring through normally :( The ability to screen out all calls except those from (for example) close family/friends was a nice feature in the Samsung implementation of this idea.

Ben

Change the option under 'Phone ringer'. There are various options under there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭niallb

Hi. Is everything working at this stage on the Z1 in CM11 ?
    I had a Z1 for a few months, and never put CM on it as there were issues with the camera early on.
    I sold on the Z1 and am now back to CM11 on my Droid Razr.
    It's a Verizon phone, but there's a patch which can be auto installed after cyanogenmod which sets it up with GSM by default, and everything works as it should. I liked the Z1, but hated the Sony custom UI. Compromise now is a really slim phone in my pocket with a 4.3" screen and great battery life on latest android, and a Nexus 7 for when I really need a bit of a bigger screen.

First time I used Cyanogenmod was back in CM6 on a Galaxy Spica.
    I still have it, battery life is much better than it ever was on stock and it gets used as a hotspot in the car. I just think of it as a Mifi device with benefits such as checking mail and browsing if I'm stuck.

Read up on your device before jumping in to putting cyanogenmod on it.
    You may have to put up with not being able to record Video, having odd wifi behaviour, or not having HDMI output (quite common) for a while until the phone gets well established. HDMI output often will never arrive if it requires a binary driver. On the plus side, your phone/tablet is likely to be noticeably faster and have much better battery life.

Another device I use cyanogenmod on is my trusty Nook Color.
    It was released in late 2010, and was only ever meant to be used as an ebook reader. Cyanogenmod turned it into a full android tablet, added bluetooth support and at this stage I'm running a stable CM10.2 (Android 4.3), and testing the odd CM11 build. I hope when a good 4.4 comes out it will be even better as the memory footprint is smaller. This is fantastic support for a device nearly four years old!

Yes, Settings > Sounds > Quiet Hours > There's a heading for Phone Ringer in which you can set it to ring only for your favourite contacts. Most likely you have favourites setup already, if not it's easily done in Gmail or your dialler.

JeWTuwT.png
    2. I have a Note 2 and I see there is a recent CM 11 nightly build. Good idea / bad idea to go from stable 10.2 to nightly 11? I looked for a changelog / features list Vs 10.2 but can't find anything.
    All changes in current nightly builds can be found from the link below (codename is N7100). CM11 is very stable at the moment so do an Nadroid backup and give it a go.

http://www.cmxlog.com/11/n7100/
    3. What is the recommended process for flashing nightlies with minimum fuss whilst retaining all your apps, all your app data (including text messages etc) and your launcher settings? When I was regularly flashing ROMs a few years ago I used Titanium Backup. Is that still the way to go?
    It's quite simple these days. You can check and install your updates from the About menu in Settings. It can be checked daily / weekly / monthly and a tap will reboot, install the update and come back online without any loss of data / preferences. Of course though, just in case, make an Nandroid backup from CWM or TWRP or from ROM Manager (on the Play Store). There's also a new app by Koushik (creator of ROM Manager, CM developer) called Helium (formally Carbon) that backs up your app preferences etc. to Google Drive - Desktop | Android
    4. In CWM Recovery I have an option to do what I believe is referred to as a Nandroid backup. I'm offered options to "backup to /sdcard" and "backup to /storage/sdcard1". Which of the two options refers to the 32GB external micro SDHC card I have installed? I'm thinking it's "backup to /storage/sdcard1" but that's just a guess.
    Could be that they are the same path (one of which is just virtualised) or else /sdcard is your internal storage. I would go with /storage/sdcard1 since the 1 indicates it's secondary to just /sdcard (and that's the default behaviour when you use a Micro SD card) just to be safe. Alternatively, use an app like Astro File Manager or the CM File Manager to browse to each path and compared the contents or even easier - take out the SD card and see which path remains.

niallb wrote: »
    Hi. Is everything working at this stage on the Z1 in CM11 ?
    I had a Z1 for a few months, and never put CM on it as there were issues with the camera early on.
    I sold on the Z1 and am now back to CM11 on my Droid Razr.
    It's a Verizon phone, but there's a patch which can be auto installed after cyanogenmod which sets it up with GSM by default, and everything works as it should. I liked the Z1, but hated the Sony custom UI. Compromise now is a really slim phone in my pocket with a 4.3" screen and great battery life on latest android, and a Nexus 7 for when I really need a bit of a bigger screen.

First time I used Cyanogenmod was back in CM6 on a Galaxy Spica.
    I still have it, battery life is much better than it ever was on stock and it gets used as a hotspot in the car. I just think of it as a Mifi device with benefits such as checking mail and browsing if I'm stuck.

Read up on your device before jumping in to putting cyanogenmod on it.
    You may have to put up with not being able to record Video, having odd wifi behaviour, or not having HDMI output (quite common) for a while until the phone gets well established. HDMI output often will never arrive if it requires a binary driver. On the plus side, your phone/tablet is likely to be noticeably faster and have much better battery life.

Another device I use cyanogenmod on is my trusty Nook Color.
    It was released in late 2010, and was only ever meant to be used as an ebook reader. Cyanogenmod turned it into a full android tablet, added bluetooth support and at this stage I'm running a stable CM10.2 (Android 4.3), and testing the odd CM11 build. I hope when a good 4.4 comes out it will be even better as the memory footprint is smaller. This is fantastic support for a device nearly four years old!
    It is a new device to the CM11 builds (only 11 been issued so far) and it has nightly bugs and issues to be expected, mainly with the camera but only in the sense that from power on, it may say "Can't Connect to Camera" and will require a reboot or to run Camera Restart (APK here). Other than that, performance and battery life has been quite excellent and it's a good build.

I also detest the Sony GUI, in fact all custom versions of Sense or TouchWiz etc. I initially had a new Z1 which I sold because I couldn't unlock the bootloader, got rid of it and bought one that was unlockable (same price, in black).

I also had a Nook Colour (bought solely because of CyanogenMod capability) which I gave to my dad. The screen was excellent on it, such deep blacks. My dad loved it (we got him a Nexus 7 now) but he left it in the car at work and the car was unlocked and someone stole it. Such a good little tablet, cheap + excellent specs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

When I've my s2 linked via usb to the pc all goes well until it tries installing drivers then CM tells me it cannot read my phone and says try either new usb port/cable or reboot pc, even though it seen it previously during the setup.

Tries all the suggestions it made but it simply won't go any further for me.

• Advertisement

hallo dare wrote: »
    When I've my s2 linked via usb to the pc all goes well until it tries installing drivers then CM tells me it cannot read my phone and says try either new usb port/cable or reboot pc, even though it seen it previously during the setup.

Tries all the suggestions it made but it simply won't go any further for me.
    Are you referring to the CM Installer process? There's a big section Samsung connection issues, it's usually driver related.

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/CyanogenMod_Installer

MLTmv5D.jpg

Advertisement