Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster v Connacht, Ravenhill KO 7:05pm, BBC2 NI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Just 10% of that performance last week....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I didn't like the jeering of Connacht players when they made errors during the second half. It was unnecessary as the game was well won at that stage, it just left a sour taste in my mouth. Maybe it's because I have a soft spot for our brothers from the Wesht. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,749 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The handling by Bowe and Jackson for Marshall's try was something else. Some nice play tonight. Particularly pleased to see Gilroy play well and Trimble to the fore again.

Joe Schmidt was in attendance tonight, what on earth will he do with a fully fit set of wingers available to him!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

bilston wrote: »
    The handling by Bowe and Jackson for Marshall's try was something else. Some nice play tonight. Particularly pleased to see Gilroy play well and Trimble to the fore again.

Joe Schmidt was in attendance tonight, what on earth will he do with a fully fit set of wingers available to him!?

Trimble and bowe impressive. gilroy? the only ball he touched all game was literally when he fell over for a try

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭neilmulvey

shove Bowe to 13 in June i reckon.

• Advertisement

ouncer wrote: »
    Trimble and bowe impressive. gilroy? the only ball he touched all game was literally when he fell over for a try

In the first he looked very sharp and he touched the ball plenty of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Marshalls try was a thing of beauty and that's from a connacht supporter. Even my 11 year old was blown away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

In the first he looked very sharp and he touched the ball plenty of times.

sorry, while I have watched Craig coming thru the Irish u-20s where he was hugely impressive, he does not yet rate to Trimble or bowe. I'm sure it will all happen in good time but as a reflection on the play tonight he did not equate to tommy or andrew. maybe he touched a ball but in the majority of cases he was not a part of the many exciting moves used by ulster

sorry, while I have watched Craig coming thru the Irish u-20s where he was hugely impressive, he does not yet rate to Trimble or bowe. I'm sure it will all happen in good time but as a reflection on the play tonight he did not equate to tommy or andrew. maybe he touched a ball but in the majority of cases he was not a part of the many exciting moves used by ulster

Hang on I think you might be putting words into my mouth here!

I said I was pleased to see Gilroy play well. I didn't compare him to either Bowe or Trimble!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Missed first 20 mins- got lost in belfast and then trying find a parkin spot was a pain

Ulster were awesome- Trimble is like an Irish Jonah Lomu these days

Ravenhill is a great stadium - had good laugh second half in crowd, Ulster fans are good craic. A good few came up and thanked us for coming which was nice gesture after game..

As ever I am determined to be optimistic, so will leave this: last time we got properly thumped in Rabo was away to Edinburgh- we followed that up with our win away in Toulouse. Watch out Munster :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

get rid of parks, poor display. henshaw is a great prospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Watch the game again....gilroy played well. Was solid under the high ball answer showed plenty of eagerness to go forward...he has a wicked step where he can beat players 2or 3 yards in front of him from a standing start.

Wouldn't compare him or any other Irish winger with trimble at present as trimble is on fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

I am pie wrote: »
    get rid of parks, poor display. henshaw is a great prospect.

Probably more a prospect of Parks staying put and Henshaw moving on unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Probably more a prospect of Parks staying put and Henshaw moving on unfortunately

Don't believe the papers- Robbie ain't going anywhere before his contract is up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

Must say a great win for Ulster , top class in every way.

Connacht were slow at the breakdown and never really could get good field poisitions.

Henshaw has proved his worth and will be snapped up by the bigger clubs.

Connacht has alot of improving to do for the munster game, hopfully they can restore pride in the
    west.

wprathead wrote: »
    Don't believe the papers- Robbie ain't going anywhere before his contract is up

I hope you are right for Connacht's sake. For the player himself and for Ireland though you have to wonder whether he is better off elsewhere, but I don't think it's an issue at the moment. He is fine at Connacht for another season and hopefully two.

Besides, and maybe this is controversial, maybe it isn't, but I don't think he would get on a full strength Ulster backline at the moment and there would be no guarentees at either Leinster or Munster although obviously there is a BOD sized hole at Leinster that he could fill, but then so could Fitzgerald and McFadden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

I hope you are right for Connacht's sake. For the player himself and for Ireland though you have to wonder whether he is better off elsewhere, but I don't think it's an issue at the moment. He is fine at Connacht for another season and hopefully two.

Besides, and maybe this is controversial, maybe it isn't, but I don't think he would get on a full strength Ulster backline at the moment and there would be no guarentees at either Leinster or Munster although obviously there is a BOD sized hole at Leinster that he could fill, but then so could Fitzgerald and McFadden.

From a Munster POV I think he'd def start at 13 for us next season. Same with Leinster tbh, Luke too injury prone and I don't like D'arcy or McFadden there

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

How'd Bowe go in the centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭jacothelad

.ak wrote: »
    Seamless but Conn. never presented any consistent threat t test his defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

... not bad

• Advertisement

Jesus that was class. If BOD did that we'd all be creaming ourselves. Outragous bit of skill, although probably a pinch of luck. Could've gone to a Connacht hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Jesus that was class. If BOD did that we'd all be creaming ourselves. Outragous bit of skill, although probably a pinch of luck. Could've gone to a Connacht hand.

He did ! I think it's a carbon copy of the first try we scored against Italy in the six nations! Same move

• Registered Users Posts: 24,180 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Absolutely. It was beautiful. Seeing that made me really start to think about Bowe as a real option at 13. He'd need to play there for Ulster though as he cannot just do it as a once in a while role for Ireland and be expected to have his defensive positioning up to the necessary standard.

Just caught the highlights there. Jeez that 2nd Marshall try should never happen in a professional game. But the Connacht tries were lovely. Henshaw's assist for the first one in particular was class.

He did ! I think it's a carbon copy of the first try we scored against Italy in the six nations! Same move

Yep pretty much.

• Administrators Posts: 53,398 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Just caught the highlights there. Jeez that 2nd Marshall try should never happen in a professional game. But the Connacht tries were lovely. Henshaw's assist for the first one in particular was class.

The try from the quick lineout?

It shouldn't have stood anyway, it was thrown forward. Referee let it go because "it was thrown toward the Connacht side so no advantage".

Yea, I know... :confused:

awec wrote: »
    The try from the quick lineout?

It shouldn't have stood anyway, it was thrown forward. Referee let it go because "it was thrown toward the Connacht side so no advantage".

Yea, I know... :confused:

Really? Looked to me it was straight down the 10m line?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Schoolboy error from Connacht , but when the ref says it wasn't straight " thrown towards Connacht " yet still allows it you know your goose is cooked.

• Administrators Posts: 53,398 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

A bit forward, the referee knew it went forward too but decided that was ok because it went toward Connacht's side. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

awec wrote: »
    A bit forward, the referee knew it went forward too but decided that was ok because it went toward Connacht's side. :pac:

Just shows the standard of refereeing in the Rabo. Ulster clearly deserved the win and bonus point, but a nil penalty count in favour of Ulster was a bit of a joke, not to mention the above forward lineout...

Advertisement