Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sea trout rod

Options
  • 10-04-2014 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

well lads its getting to that time of year again and ive been thinking about a new rod, ive been using a 9-8 weight 9 foot fly rod for a few years and had reasonable success with it but ive been thinking of a smaller rod and was wondering what rods yous would use for sea trout of up to 2lbs, 2lbs would be a once every 5 year( if your lucky) fish around here but i wouldnt like to finally hook one on a rod that isnt up to the job cause as yee know there a very hard fighting fish for there size

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

9ft 5 weight is a great all rounder.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭realrebel

I suppose it depends on the size of the river, I use a 8ft 6wt for smaller rivers and a 10ft 6wt or 7wt for the larger rivers
    I tend to use a 7wt coz I use bigger flies
    Of all the rods I have for them my Shakespeare odsessy is the most used and the cheapest too

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Gloomis glx classic 9 foot for a 7 weight...
    A beast!
    well lads its getting to that time of year again and ive been thinking about a new rod, ive been using a 9-8 weight 9 foot fly rod for a few years and had reasonable success with it but ive been thinking of a smaller rod and was wondering what rods yous would use for sea trout of up to 2lbs, 2lbs would be a once every 5 year( if your lucky) fish around here but i wouldnt like to finally hook one on a rod that isnt up to the job cause as yee know there a very hard fighting fish for there size

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭madred006

fisherking wrote: »
    Gloomis glx classic 9 foot for a 7 weight...
    A beast!

Have to agree have the 10 ft 6 wt it's a serious rod and lots of power .Was caught out one evening in Galway and had to use a loop stream tech 10ft 5 wt hooked a sea trout about 1lb and broke top section .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Yeah id have to say a 5 weight is a bit too light to be considered an all rounder for me. While it would be a great fight should you hook into something solid, Id fear it would be that bit too light for striking the hook or indeed to survive that initial run of a good fish. 9.5 foot, 6/7 would be my all rounder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Mr Bumble

SeaFields wrote: »
    Yeah id have to say a 5 weight is a bit too light to be considered an all rounder for me. While it would be a great fight should you hook into something solid, Id fear it would be that bit too light for striking the hook or indeed to survive that initial run of a good fish. 9.5 foot, 6/7 would be my all rounder.

Wouldn't be comfortable with a 5 fishing for sea trout and the 9.5 has the added benefit of being useful in a boat too - bang on as all-rounder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

I suppose I shouldn't say all rounder but for what op wants I'd still say the 9ft 5weight would be ideal. After using a 8/9 weight he won't know himself.
    As is always the case with rods and lines try before you buy if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Depends where you are fishing
    If you have lots of room for play a 4 our 5 weight would be fine
    But if you are in a small river with big trout you need the power.....
    A seven works for me.....
    Auldloon wrote: »
    I suppose I shouldn't say all rounder but for what op wants I'd still say the 9ft 5weight would be ideal. After using a 8/9 weight he won't know himself.
    As is always the case with rods and lines try before you buy if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

The best rod I used for the white trout is a sage xp 2 piece 6 wt rod with the peach 6 wt cortland line or you could even get away with the 7 weight on the 9 ft xp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭con___manx1

well lads its getting to that time of year again and ive been thinking about a new rod, ive been using a 9-8 weight 9 foot fly rod for a few years and had reasonable success with it but ive been thinking of a smaller rod and was wondering what rods yous would use for sea trout of up to 2lbs, 2lbs would be a once every 5 year( if your lucky) fish around here but i wouldn't like to finally hook one on a rod that isnt up to the job cause as you know there a very hard fighting fish for there size

if u hit the fish of your dreams and haven't got the rod to get him in you'll be sick.id drop down to a 6 or 7 weight at the least.you could hook into a big salmon while fishing for trout. you never know it happened to me recently.i fish with a seven weight and 2lb fish are rare too ; )

• Advertisement
Advertisement