Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rabbits

Options
  • 10-04-2014 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

I cleared the ground around a house that was built a few years ago , there are rabbits everywhere , any suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

suggestions to get rid of them?
    - Terriers
    - Poison

Do you want to get rid of them because they are eating your plants?
    - plant things the rabbits dont eat (google for lists)
    - put plastic coated wire around bottom 2' of your saplings
    - Wire around your veg patch

There seems to be a huge number of them about everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭ferrete

terriers wont sort the problem anyway wat so ever and dont use posion its cruel and inhumane. use ferrets lurchers hawks etc or shoot them all between shootiing and ferreting you could wipe them all out or just keep a sustainable number and keep the population under control

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

I'm in North Kerry, regular walker and never see a rabbit, our area has been cleared of wildlife by those b****y mink. Give the poor devils a break and enjoy their company.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

aonb wrote: »
    - Terriers
    - Poison

It is now illegal to use poison against rabbits as it is very dangerous for non-target species,pets etc.. As the others have said, shooting and/or ferrets would be your best bet if you want to control numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

My terrier used to try and catch rabbits, but never could.

But when I shoot one, she spends about an hour scoffing it, and theres nothing left, eats the whole thing, and waddles round like a little fat porker afterwoods

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

aonb wrote: »
    - Terriers
    - Poison hunt them

but unless they are having a negative effect on you leave them be a bit of wild life is not a bad thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

but unless they are having a negative effect on you leave them be a bit of wild life is not a bad thing

Ah, they take over a place unless they are kept under control.

We have hares here, and I don't mind them somehow. But fecking rabbits, I'd be as happy if I never saw another one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

We have hares here, and I don't mind them somehow. But fecking rabbits, I'd be as happy if I never saw another one :)

I think the same way too, couldn't shoot hare

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Anyone else thinking of the father Ted episode where the rabbits are attracted to Jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭duckman!!

Same thing here loaded with hares and don't mind them at all, but rabbits would get a shotgun cartridge up the ho#e!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Birdnuts wrote: »
    It is now illegal to use poison against rabbits as it is very dangerous for non-target species,pets etc.. As the others have said, shooting and/or ferrets would be your best bet if you want to control numbers

Exactly barn owl is one such species thats having major difficulty due to inadvertently ingesting poisons from their prey

Owl sees dead animal thats been poisoned Owl thinks deadly free easy dinner for me ! Owl eats said poisoned animal and not too long later Owl is also now dead from poison.

Then we have Fox (for example) , Fox then comes along sees dead Owl and Fox thinks awesome lovely easy snack for me here ! Then few hours later we have a dead Fox too and so it moves up/along the chain with disastrous consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 GWCT

solargain wrote: »
    I cleared the ground around a house that was built a few years ago , there are rabbits everywhere , any suggestions

Did you get Rabbits sorted ? Where are you based ?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

No , They have every plant in the vegetable garden stripped . Cork

I am going to have to make up a few snares & cook them for dinner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

Recently seeing lots of hawk scarers on farms - worth a try?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Birdnuts wrote: »

can you point me towards somewhere that says that its illegal to poison rabbits, I've used 'poison' in the past but from what i remember from the side of the box it gave the rabbits an overdose of selenium causing organ failure.
    they were a ball that you just rolled into the burrow and the rabbits died inside, no chance of predators or pets getting poisoned.

OP you could use snares, if they're beside your house you'll hear when they get caught in one

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Paddysniper

Anyone else thinking of the father Ted episode where the rabbits are attracted to Jack.
    Put them in the vice father!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

ganmo wrote: »
    can you point me towards somewhere that says that its illegal to poison rabbits, I've used 'poison' in the past but from what i remember from the side of the box it gave the rabbits an overdose of selenium causing organ failure.
    they were a ball that you just rolled into the burrow and the rabbits died inside, no chance of predators or pets getting poisoned.

All pesticides must have a licence for use issued by the PCS(Pesticide Control Service) - they issue a list of approved products each year. Currently there are no longer any products approved in this country for the control of rabbits. Therefore the poisoning of rabbits is illegal.

http://www.pcs.agriculture.gov.ie/

Check out the link above for the latest list

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Manage to find the box PCS was on the side and you're right it's not on the list anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Superdaddy

ganmo wrote: »
    rabbits an overdose of selenium causing organ failure.

OP you could use snares, if they're beside your house you'll hear when they get caught in one

Rough way to die. Organ failure is not quick and no guarantee they will die in the burrow or that they won't be dragged out or dug out. I hate the use of poisons. Rat poison kills a lot more than rats, it has nearly wiped out the Barn Owl, kills countless otters, foxes and basically anything that will feed on a dead rat.Traps and snares are very effective if you don't have a gun or other means.

Snares are by far the best way to go and good fun too learning to set them properly and getting the results. Must be checked everyday and must have a deerstop to prevent harm to non target animals. I use these for rabbits http://www.trapworks.co.uk/shop/rabbit-snares/pegged%20deer%20stop%20rabbit%20snare

and make my own rat snares from pike trace wire, old mackerel hook and a bamboo stick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Are snares legal, I had kind of thought they weren't allowed.

• Advertisement

Yes they are legal but they must comply with this regulation. http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2003/en/si/0620.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

where are you based??? i have a ferret, and air rifle. But i wouldn't hunt them at this time of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

What you need is a friendly lad with a suppressed .22lr rifle firing subsonic ammo. On a few bright evenings shooting from a covert spot the rabbit problem will quickly be dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

What you need is a friendly lad with a suppressed .22lr rifle firing subsonic ammo. On a few bright evenings shooting from a covert spot the rabbit problem will quickly be dealt with.

I've had more success with my shotgun lately than my mate with his rifle.
    Don't think the noise of shotgun bothers them tbh.
    I've had few run off but appear in less than a minute later.

Head shots only with sub sonics and range is very poor. Better off with a .17hmr or .22mag

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I have never read so much ****e about rifle shooting rabbits.
    I reckon I have shot more rabbits with my Brno .22lr then most of ye have had waking moments.
    Cop on lads, they are pretty easy prey.

Base price wrote: »
    I reckon I have shot more rabbits with my Brno .22lr then most of ye have had waking moments.

I know what you mean…. i can take them oot with a bloody air rifle ffs

Base price wrote: »
    Never read so much ****e eh? More rabbits shot than most of us having waken moments, really? That's some statement. How many rabbits have you shot then?
    Obviously a professional rabbit shooter then supplying to a game dealer? if that's the case you only take head shots? And at what distances are you taking them out to?
    It's easy hit them but body shots will mean many will go down burrows squealing.

As for yer man bolting them with a ferret to an air rifle, fair play to ya.:rolleyes:

Superdaddy wrote: »
    As for yer man bolting them with a ferret to an air rifle, fair play to ya.:rolleyes:

Ferret to a net….. Air rifle i use at dusk and dawn as there out grazing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

[MOD]

The OP has had some good suggestion regarding their problem, but it would appear that tempers are starting to fray at this stage.
    In the interests of keeping the peace, thread closed.

[/MOD]

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement