Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite fan theories?

Options
  • 10-04-2014 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

What are your favourite fan theories i.e. theories about hidden meanings in films that are never elaborated upon by the filmmakers?

One of mine concerns The Dark Knight, and the theory that The Joker is an Iraq War veteran, which adds a surprising amount of shade to the film.

For those who haven't heard it before, allow me to quote from What Culture.
    A widely-circulated fan theory around sites like Reddit is that The Joker is, in fact, a war veteran, and this one holds a lot of water for two reasons:

a) The Joker’s frequent utterance of the phrase, “You wanna know how I got these scars?”, while never actually divulging a single, definite explanation.
    b) Remember when he visits Harvey Dent in hospital in the second half of the movie, and says, “A truckload of soldiers will be blown up, nobody panics because it’s all part of the plan.”?

So, The Joker was a regular soldier in a convoy, probably in Iraq, when his truck was blown up, probably killing most of his fellow men. This not only scarred his face severely, but caused him to become deranged and want to fight back against the government and, well, basically any semblance of authority or order, whether good or bad. It would also explain his familiarity with the rifle he fires during Mayor Garcia’s inauguration – his military background.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

I really like the one where Ferris Bueller is Cameron's imaginary friend, to the extent that I kind of take it as the automatic reading of the film whenever I re-watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Where 007 and James bond are code names not the persons name. Does make sense when you think about it.
    On mobile will add a link later.

Icaras wrote: »
    Where 007 and James bond are code names not the persons name. Does make sense when you think about it.
    On mobile will add a link later.

It did until Skyfall fecked it up :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

The theory that R2D2 and Chewbacca were top field agents of the Rebellion:

http://km-515.livejournal.com/746.html

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I really like the one where Ferris Bueller is Cameron's imaginary friend, to the extent that I kind of take it as the automatic reading of the film whenever I re-watch it.

that Cameron is the narrator from Fight Club and Ferris is Tyler Durden.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Good thread idea, original! :)

I quite liked the more recent theory that cropped up on the internet, the one that claimed all the Pixar films were part of a shared universe. Very much a case of fans reading way too much into background visual easter-eggs, but it made for interesting reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I read one ages ago about Contact and Pink Floyd's album Wish you were here having some kind of synch going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Forgot all about it.

Link below anyway....
    http://www.cracked.com/article/18367_6-insane-fan-theories-that-actually-make-great-movies-better/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

The only thing that is keeping Harrison Ford sprightly is the Holy Grail; ready and willing for Indy 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Not really each actor was a different bond.

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Not really each actor was a different bond.

Yes really! Daniel Craig's James Bond in Skyfall was absolutely definitely born James Bond. I mean maybe by some massive coincidence/oversight he just happened to be assigned a code-name that was the same as his birth name but it seems to me to suggest that each actor was playing the same character and there wasn't any unifying theory kind of thingamajig.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Yes really! Daniel Craig's James Bond in Skyfall was absolutely definitely born James Bond. I mean maybe by some massive coincidence/oversight he just happened to be assigned a code-name that was the same as his birth name but it seems to me to suggest that each actor was playing the same character and there wasn't any unifying theory kind of thingamajig.

I think they are meant to all be the same character, like in the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Sean Connery's character in The Rock was actually James Bond

I think they are meant to all be the same character, like in the books.

Yes, I know. I get that. But the fan theory about the films was that each actor was in fact playing a different man with the code names James Bond and 007. And that theory worked and made sense (given the time span of the franchise and the different spins on the character) until Daniel Craig got taken back to where his parents Mr and Mrs Bond used to live and had people from his childhood confirm that his real actual name is James Bond.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭endacl

That there are hidden things to have theories about. I remember a friend sendin me an email attachment, longer than an MA thesis, around the time of The Matrix. I got through the first page or two before my bull5hit filter kicked in. Every single moment of that movie had a 'hidden meaning' apparently.

Hard enough to make a movie I'd imagine, managing a multi million dollar budget, a crew of sometimes hundreds, locations on different countries, and all the rest, without bothering with 'hidden meanings'. They're like conspiracy theories anyway. Film makers don't actually have to put them in. Just hint that there might be one and there'll be no shortage of loopers ready and willing to lap it up.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

endacl wrote: »
    That there are hidden things to have theories about. I remember a friend sendin me an email attachment, longer than an MA thesis, around the time of The Matrix. I got through the first page or two before my bull5hit filter kicked in. Every single moment of that movie had a 'hidden meaning' apparently.

Hard enough to make a movie I'd imagine, managing a multi million dollar budget, a crew of sometimes hundreds, locations on different countries, and all the rest, without bothering with 'hidden meanings'. They're like conspiracy theories anyway. Film makers don't actually have to put them in. Just hint that there might be one and there'll be no shortage of loopers ready and willing to lap it up.

:)

On the same note, that Kubrick faked the moon landings, and was Illuminati. That doesn't make any sense, I hear you cry over the Internet! But wait, didn't you notice how Danny was wearing a jumper with a rocket ship on it? IRREFUTABLE PROOF! The list goes on, it's great. I can't think of any other film maker with that much mythos surrounding him. Some of the things people read too much into makes me laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

endacl wrote: »
    The Matrix.

The obvious fact in The Matrix movies is that no-one ever got out, the "real world" is just another layer of artificial reality, which is why it makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

On the same note, that Kubrick faked the moon landings, and was Illuminati. That doesn't make any sense, I hear you cry over the Internet! But wait, didn't you notice how Danny was wearing a jumper with a rocket ship on it? IRREFUTABLE PROOF! The list goes on, it's great. I can't think of any other film maker with that much mythos surrounding him. Some of the things people read too much into makes me laugh.

Speaking of Kubrick there is a great documentary on his movie 'The Shining' that deals with all the fan theories about the film. Excellent movie, can't remember what it is called

• Registered Users Posts: 4,516 ✭✭✭blue note

Speaking of Kubrick there is a great documentary on his movie 'The Shining' that deals with all the fan theories about the film. Excellent movie, can't remember what it is called
    Room 237. Hopefully netflix will get it soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

Another of my favourite fan theories is that Fabienne, Bruce Willis' girlfriend in Pulp Fiction, is pregnant, and attempts to hint at this several times the night before and morning after he reneges on his agreement to throw a fight for Marcellus Wallace.

This is why she talks about how she wishes she had "a pot belly" and that "pot bellies are sexy" when he returns home after the fight.

The next morning she extensively talks about her breakfast, and the amount of food she wants ("I’m gonna order a big plate of blueberry pancakes with maple syrup, eggs over easy, and five sausages... To drink, a tall glass or orange juice and a black cup of coffee. After that, I’m going to have a slice of pie").

This is because she is pregnant, and eating for two, something that is never made explicit in the screenplay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Yes, I know. I get that. But the fan theory about the films was that each actor was in fact playing a different man with the code names James Bond and 007. And that theory worked and made sense (given the time span of the franchise and the different spins on the character) until Daniel Craig got taken back to where his parents Mr and Mrs Bond used to live and had people from his childhood confirm that his real actual name is James Bond.

So hes actually the 1st James bond?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Back before Reloaded and Revolutions were released, I read a good fan theory about the way in which the humans-as-batteries thing might be resolved: basically the idea was that all the humans in the Matrix were actually artificial intelligences. There had been an AI uprising and possibly even a war - but the humans had won and created the Matrix as a place to put the AIs to avoid further bloodshed. Morpheus and the resistance forces are all AIs, and the machines running the Matrix are controlled by humans in the external reality.

A nice idea, as far as it goes. I don't know how you use it to craft better sequels than Reloaded or Revolutions, though (though I suppose you could argue it's just about still compatible with those films...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

pixelburp wrote: »
    Good thread idea, original! :)

I quite liked the more recent theory that cropped up on the internet, the one that claimed all the Pixar films were part of a shared universe. Very much a case of fans reading way too much into background visual easter-eggs, but it made for interesting reading.

Why is it reading too much into it?
    They share settings, characters and other references (yeah in blink and you miss them Egg mode) so why not be the same pix-verse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

That Firefly/Serenity are in the Alien universe and that the alliance is Weyland Yutani (the Anglo-Sino Alliance in the verse)

Helped by Joss of course with: top centre
    firefly-weyland-yutani.jpg
    Weyland-Yutani_Coporation_Logo.png

And in Serenity the Operative saying
    I believe in something greater than myself. A better world. A world without sin.
    We're making a better world. All of them, better worlds

Weyland-Yutani
    Building Better Worlds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Lukehandypants

blue note wrote: »
    Room 237. Hopefully netflix will get it soon!

Dissapointing movie made by crazy people.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,172 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Jokey on claime that Inception was a sequel to Titanic.

Jack Dawson purposly lets go of the driftwood at the end of Titanic, thus commiting suicide, and then winds up on a beach in limbo at the start of Inception.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Lukehandypants

Watching Ferris Buller, a bit at the start when Ferris rings Cameron they have a conversation about Cameron coming over Ferris's the conversation ends and Cameron says to himself that he feels like he's dying, the phone immediately rings and its Ferris saying that Cameron's not dying.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

Slight cheat as it's TV(!) but my favourite is the Tommy Westphall theory.

"The last five minutes of St. Elsewhere is the only television show, ever. Everything else is a daydream."

http://www.slushfactory.com/content/EpupypyZAZTDOLwdfz.php

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Why is it reading too much into it?
    They share settings, characters and other references (yeah in blink and you miss them Egg mode) so why not be the same pix-verse?

Don't get me wrong it's a fascinating theory, but I just think the various easter eggs are no more than little background shoutouts rather than part of an all-encompassing theory. Similar to how C3PO and R2D2 can be seen in Raiders of the Lost Ark, that sort of thing; just gifts to the fans rather than clues to a grand plan of Pixar's. Still admire the imagination of those who put the theory together though :)

Advertisement