Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is your silage ground closed off?

Options
  • 10-04-2014 6:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 29,148 ✭✭✭✭

i had to pull out from grazing it a few weeks ago, put out fertiliser yesterday on it, too wet to put slurry on it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Yes slurry in mid march fert out 1st of this month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Yep closed off.
    Got 16 units of p already and a bag of can at start of march.
    Going with 18-6-12 when more fert arrives and it will be topped up with can and some stage too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

Not yet, looks like it could be another week or two. Growth hasnt been great up to now so I dont think ive lost out by much yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Just last week. Was lightly grazed up to that to clean it up.
    Have 18-6-12 coming next week for it. Not any way near fit for slurry.

Has to be sprayed for docks at some stage too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Will have what I can graze done by Fri, will close then. I have 20 acres of heavy ground which yearlings grazed till Dec, will close that also as soon as I can travel it with tractor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I have silage AND grazing ground closed off. Do l win? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,370 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Silage ground closed off. Has to get pig slurry at some stage tho

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭stanflt

Silage ground grazed till 16 dec
    Got 6k slurry per acre in jan
    I bag urea in feb
    And 2.5 bags of master crop silage elite in early march 22 2.5 10 with 5 sulphar

Hope to cut 1st week may as already a cover of 2400 on it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Yep closed off.
    Got 16 units of p already and a bag of can at start of march.
    Going with 18-6-12 when more fert arrives and it will be topped up with can and some stage too

so you will apply 4 different stages of fert - is that all before the first cut?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Got 4000 gallons of slurry/acre yesterday, 50/50 mixture of cattle and pig. Ground too wet to go with a Fert. spreader yet. As soon as dry enough to carry me, will go with a bag and 3/4 of urea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,148 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Dunedin wrote: »
    so you will apply 4 different stages of fert - is that all before the first cut?
    seems very costly

• Registered Users Posts: 11,093 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Yep all closed off now,had 10 acres with 55 units urea out that I had as a buffer in case growth nosedived ,don't need to graze again now so topped up with 3 bags 18 6 12 on Tuesday..hope to cut 20 may.geass hopping outbid ground here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Bit late now for me but can you get urea with sulphur? Would be handler for first cut to get sulphur in

• Registered Users Posts: 29,148 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

stanflt wrote: »
    I bag urea in feb
    And 2.5 bags of master crop silage elite in early march 22 2.5 10 with 5 sulphar

it was the master crop silage elite that we spread yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Around 10 percent closed. Everything getting covered with urea today. Closed ground getting a bag of super net 14 S plus 2x 10-10-20 on top of 1 bag urea. Everything will get super net next week as well. As surpluses appear will close more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

won't be closing for a while yet, too heavily stocked

not too worried 'cos IMO silage will never replace grass , for feed value

have a good bit left in any case , so most likely only take 1 cut and a few bales

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Dunedin wrote: »

Very very low in p and want to get it up.
    Will cist for a year or two but I will have 2 good crops if silage I hope

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭F.D

Got 3000 gal to the acre of cattle slurry in feb
    spread 2 x Bags of 18-6-12 to the acre and 2 x bags of CAN to the acre on Monday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Muckit wrote: »
    I have silage AND grazing ground closed off. Do l win? :)

Can you spread fert on those turlochs in the summer or do you just eat what comes ? Do they flood every year

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

When is it too late to put out slurry? I'm hoping to go out on sat with the rest of the slurry, I've one silage paddock just grazed out, and the other has a cover of about 800 on it, both of them will get the slurry. Another 10acres of silage ground has a cover of about 1400 on it now, should I be aiming to cut this earlier, for some quality silage for the milkers, and cut the rest later?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Reseeded silage ground got 18-6-12 yesterday and will be getting gran lime today. Hoping to take 150 bales off it in 2 cuts for feeding to weanlings. The rest of the silage ground has been grazed by the sheep all winter and I'm hoping to get slurry on it in the next 2 weeks to allow for mid june cutting. Quality doesn't need to be near as good as it's only for the suckler cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,370 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

reilig wrote: »
    Reseeded silage ground got 18-6-12 yesterday and will be getting gran lime today. Hoping to take 150 bales off it in 2 cuts for feeding to weanlings. The rest of the silage ground has been grazed by the sheep all winter and I'm hoping to get slurry on it in the next 2 weeks to allow for mid june cutting. Quality doesn't need to be near as good as it's only for the suckler cows.
    What price is gran lime now and what size bags do they come in

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

will close off today or tomorrow. already got a bag to the acre of 18-6-12

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭f140

I have about 4k gallons ofslurry out and two bags of urea. that's it then.

so Whelan have you yours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Maybe it is maybe it isnt, silage has tobe flexible around here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Around 10 percent closed. Everything getting covered with urea today. Closed ground getting a bag of super net 14 S plus 2x 10-10-20 on top of 1 bag urea. Everything will get super net next week as well. As surpluses appear will close more.

Super Net 14S, is that Nitrogen with Sulphur?

Closing Ground Saturday, just grazing it off at the moment.
    Will put out 2 Bags of 10.10.20 followed by Nitrogen in mid May

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭visatorro

suppose you can spread slurry anytime if it gets abit of rain and growth its alright i would have thought. watery enough stuff helps.

how do you calculate nitrogen usage? as in how long does it take the ground to use it up? should it be zero at cutting?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Very very low in p and want to get it up.
    Will cist for a year or two but I will have 2 good crops if silage I hope

my silage ground was low in p made a huge difference spreading straight p on it.

finished grazing silage ground tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Farrell wrote: »
    Super Net 14S, is that Nitrogen with Sulphur?

Closing Ground Saturday, just grazing it off at the moment.
    Will put out 2 Bags of 10.10.20 followed by Nitrogen in mid May

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

stanflt wrote: »
    I bag urea in feb

What would you expect the quality of it to be like, ie stuff held over winter, instead of grazed once before being cut? I assume you'll go straight in for a 2nd cut in mid June now?

Advertisement