Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American News Media: Independent or Biased?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭sin_city

Mjollnir wrote: »
    LOL! No, it simply doesn't involve Harry Reid.

It has to do with a mooching, welfare-cowboy grifter thinking he's owed something, not pay legally mandated fees, thumbing his nose at federal court decisions for over 20 years and 'not recognizing' the US gov't.

Please leave the tinfoil conspiracist nonsense off the forum.

You may be right...it turns out its about a tortoise....That's why the Feds threatened to shoot protestors...it's the tortoise...silly me.

Wonder why the BLM removed a webpage which stated:

"Non-Governmental Organizations have expressed concern that the regional mitigation strategy for the Dry Lake Solar Energy Zone utilizes Gold Butte as the location for offsite mitigation for impacts from solar development, and that those restoration activities are not durable with the presence of trespass cattle"

They removed it from Google's cache also...yeah the tortoise.

Regarding the tinfoil hat

“When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser."
    ― Socrates

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

That's why the Feds threatened to shoot protestors

These "protesters"?

ss-140413-nevada-cattle-standoff-01.nbcnews-ux-1200-800.jpg

When police officials arrived to seize cattle, these guys forced the officials, at gunpoint to return the cattle
    sin_city wrote: »
    ― Socrates

Not much of a debate, the man is using public land for his own private profit - and ignoring every law and court order in the process

A half million dollar herd of cattle can do serious damage to a local environment that is not designed to support such a foreign animal - likewise local Irish farmers can't decide to start grazing protected geese reserves in Ireland just because one of their ancestors grazed the land long before environmental protection even existed - thats one thing, to not recognise the government, the court process, to personally interpret the law and threaten officers and officials with automatic weapons is quite another

It's a ridiculous case, and he's a lucky man that the local police and officials have been letting him get away with this for almost 20 years

"Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions" - Jefferson

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Mjollnir

You may be right...it turns out its about a tortoise....That's why the Feds threatened to shoot protestors...it's the tortoise...silly me.

Wonder why the BLM removed a webpage which stated:

"Non-Governmental Organizations have expressed concern that the regional mitigation strategy for the Dry Lake Solar Energy Zone utilizes Gold Butte as the location for offsite mitigation for impacts from solar development, and that those restoration activities are not durable with the presence of trespass cattle"

They removed it from Google's cache also...yeah the tortoise.

Regarding the tinfoil hat

― Socrates

A. Yes, I am right. And it wasn't about a tortoise, either.
    B. What 'debate'? Breathless conspiracy nonsense, easily debunked in 3 minutes on Google doesn't qualify as 'debate'.
    C. Slander? LOL! I don't think you understand what that word means.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

MOD WARNING: These 2 below quotes were not sigs, rather they were parts of the contents of posts, were trollish, and appeared to be condescending personal attacks on another poster.
    ― Socrates
    Jonny7 wrote: »
    "Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions" - Jefferson

Ah it's not a snipe at SinCity, it's a go at Cliven Bundy in this on-going illegal grazing incident who carries a picture of Jefferson in his top pocket

Ironically the story is a good demonstration of a degree of bias in the US media - conservative outlets are gunning him more as a patriot, whereas outlets and editorials from CNN and the Washington Post see him more as a pariah, openly flouting the law

One thing is for certain, for a small case, it's very well covered, if not overly so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭sin_city

Cliven Bundy is breaking the law right?

Did Rosa Parks also break the law? Does that mean you support racism Jonny?

If Jews carried guns in Germany in 1938 they also broke the law....Do you support the holocaust Jonny?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Using public property for his cows to graze on is not in anyway comparable to a state of racism. Rosa Parks is a completely illogical reference point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

An interesting and unique take on the Bundy ranch situation. So much of the piece makes sense (to me anyway), and I look at the media’s propensity (some would say bias) to continually report in a favorable manner towards green efforts and big government here in the US, as a leading contribution to many things wrong here which are stifling efforts to succeed in so many avenues.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/04/19/Cliven-Bundy-and-the-Origins-of-the-American-Abundance-Revolution

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Amerika wrote: »
    An interesting and unique take on the Bundy ranch situation. So much of the piece makes sense (to me anyway), and I look at the media’s propensity (some would say bias) to continually report in a favorable manner towards green efforts and big government here in the US, as a leading contribution to many things wrong here which are stifling efforts to succeed in so many avenues.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/04/19/Cliven-Bundy-and-the-Origins-of-the-American-Abundance-Revolution

That article is trash.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I honestly can't believe you posted this. It's so bad it's unreal.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

The article is a great example of bias and spin. A farmer is using public land, land he doesn't own, to make personal profit. And it is damaging the environment, unfettered grazing by herds can cause damage to the topsoil that takes decades or even centuries to repair, ecosystems can be damaged, natural habitats can be destroyed - this is the reason why just about everywhere on the globe has wildlife reserves and protected land - to stop the destruction/misuse/misappropriation of these lands for commercial or personal purposes

Not only that, but this farmer has been through the courts multiple times, in each case ruling against him, for almost 20 years now

Painting it as the "big evil" government is beyond ridiculous, the Bureau of Lands Management is responsible "to sustain the health, diversity and productivity of the public lands for the use and enjoyment of present and future generations", they are responsible for almost 250 million acres - aka not for farmers to abuse and to freely graze their herds on because some distant ancestor once did it before environmental or land concerns even existed

He has no case, and this man is extremely lucky the law hasn't come down on him harder after disarming officials at gunpoint

Brian? wrote: »
    That article is trash.
    I was led to this entertaining piece from a liberal friend who usually questions if Breitbart is reliable, but in this particular article felt it was pretty good and had found merit in something against his sensibilities. I think it is a unique and thought provoking piece that gives readers some potential outcomes about current events from one point of view, and tackles situations currently being reported by the media (since the Bundy ranch topic has come up in this thread).

The article is a great example of bias and spin. A farmer is using public land, land he doesn't own, to make personal profit. And it is damaging the environment, unfettered grazing by herds can cause damage to the topsoil that takes decades or even centuries to repair, ecosystems can be damaged, natural habitats can be destroyed - this is the reason why just about everywhere on the globe has wildlife reserves and protected land - to stop the destruction/misuse/misappropriation of these lands for commercial or personal purposes

Not only that, but this farmer has been through the courts multiple times, in each case ruling against him, for almost 20 years now

Painting it as the "big evil" government is beyond ridiculous, the Bureau of Lands Management is responsible "to sustain the health, diversity and productivity of the public lands for the use and enjoyment of present and future generations", they are responsible for almost 250 million acres - aka not for farmers to abuse and to freely graze their herds on because some distant ancestor once did it before environmental or land concerns even existed

He has no case, and this man is extremely lucky the law hasn't come down on him harder after disarming officials at gunpoint

Sounds like you might agree with MSNBC’s take on the situation in this reporting. Personally I agree Bundy should pay some fines, but I also agree with assemblywoman Fiore's reasoning on protesting the situation in this segment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrwVDYjlTe4

And funny thing... I hear in the media that the Bundy situation was never about Tortoises according to the BLM.

Looks like the BLM can delete from it’s website, but can’t hide from the Wayback Machine -- the internet webpage archive resource. So why did they need to delete all references to the tortoises one has to ask?

http://web.archive.org/web/20121017191123/http://www.blm.gov/nv/st/en/fo/lvfo/blm_programs/more/trespass_cattle.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

There is bias and bold face lying. Briebart is no different than the onion.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Mjollnir

Sounds like you might agree with MSNBC’s take on the situation in this reporting. Personally I agree Bundy should pay some fines, but I also agree with assemblywoman Fiore's reasoning on protesting the situation in this segment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrwVDYjlTe4

LOL! WOW! Really? What 'reasoning', pray tell.

The woman is unhinged to the point of babbling absurdity.

20Cent wrote: »
    There is bias and bold face lying. Briebart is no different than the onion.
    Well I agree they're biased in their reporting. Just like most other media outlets, and Briebart leans rather strongly to the right. But the rest appears to be just conjecture and innuendo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭eire4

Has anybody watched the AlJazera news channel since it started broadcasting? What are your thoughts?
    I have found some of its shows interesting. It seems to have more international news then other news channels in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Well I agree they're biased in their reporting. Just like most other media outlets, and Briebart leans rather strongly to the right. But the rest appears to be just conjecture and innuendo.

There's bias and straight out lies. Breitbart made his name from a fake story which he just made up and faked. Most of that site is the same made up "news".

• Registered Users Posts: 81,797 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The whole bundy thing is a joke.

The guy waves the Stars and Stripes but doesn't recognize the federal government.

Because he's a rancher he's getting emotional sympathy from the right. Washington enforced tax law himself during the Whiskey Rebellion. Reagan signed the law that imposes fees for grazing cattle on federal land. The same Right Wingers fully supported the government's right to force out protesters from public property at Wall Street.

Also that woman in that youtube video? 4:15.. "lien the property and the cows don't come here with guns" lady, the government spent 20 years doing this that way and it hasn't connected.

I mean a part of me congratulates the ranchers for exercising the 2nd amendment but they are also completely in the wrong.

Overheal wrote: »
    The whole bundy thing is a joke.

The guy waves the Stars and Stripes but doesn't recognize the federal government.

Because he's a rancher he's getting emotional sympathy from the right. Washington enforced tax law himself during the Whiskey Rebellion. Reagan signed the law that imposes fees for grazing cattle on federal land. The same Right Wingers fully supported the government's right to force out protesters from public property at Wall Street.

Also that woman in that youtube video? 4:15.. "lien the property and the cows don't come here with guns" lady, the government spent 20 years doing this that way and it hasn't connected.

I mean a part of me congratulates the ranchers for exercising the 2nd amendment but they are also completely in the wrong.

Yeah the media is now having a grand time with some recent ignorant comments of the crazy rancher. I guess the current situation now complements the mainstream media agenda, and now worth reporting more extensively on that one particular angle.

But not much reporting on the much greater issue that concerns many Americans, which was finally sparked by this guy’s fight against the BLM. That bigger fight was eloquently stated by Dr. Ben Carson: "The massive show of federal force in the Bundy case is frightening because it gives us a brief glimpse of the totalitarian regime that awaits a sleeping populace that does not take seriously its voting responsibilities and places in public office (and returns to public office) people who do not represent traditional American values."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

It's pretty entertaining to watch the right-wingers backpedal now that their golden boy's been revealed to be a racist.

eire4 wrote: »
    Has anybody watched the AlJazera news channel since it started broadcasting? What are your thoughts?
    I have found some of its shows interesting. It seems to have more international news then other news channels in the US.

Have never bothered to watch it, and apparently just about everyone else in the US hasen't either. Has AlJazera topped more than 13,000 viewers per day yet... in a country with a 317 million population (and lets add another 30-50 million illegal immigrants just for good measure)?

Have never bothered to watch it, and apparently just about everyone else in the US hasen't either. Has AlJazera topped more than 13,000 viewers per day yet... in a country with a 317 million population (and lets add another 30-50 million illegal immigrants just for good measure)?

Did you just go there.. holy..

Anyway Al Jazeera had a very bad rep during the Iraq war - Bush and co weren't too keen on them and they have had little or no penetration to the States (I'd say they were patriotically blocked on more than a few occasions)

Since then they've done a full circle and have been recently accused by critics of being pro-US, or pro-Western at the very least.. bizarre really

They are a controversial station, but they are good because they really get into the thick of things, especially during the Arab spring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Yep while they have their flaws,they're not actually that bad a news station. A low viewer base isn't any reflection upon quality tbh.

They are a controversial station, but they are good because they really get into the thick of things, especially during the Arab spring

Yeah they sure got into the thick of things... like being pro Muslim Brotherhood.

Corkfeen wrote: »
    A low viewer base isn't any reflection upon quality tbh.

And sometimes it is.

But 13,000 viewers per day? I think the Jolly Joe Timmer Show gets more viewers than them.

And sometimes it is.

But 13,000 viewers per day? I think the Jolly Joe Timmer Show gets more viewers than them.

Somehow I don't think the Jolly Joe Timmer show reaches over 250 million households internationally

They've been equally unpopular with unpleasant regimes the world over - Gadaffi, Assad, the Bush admin.. they must be doing something right

Somehow I don't think the Jolly Joe Timmer show reaches over 250 million households internationally
    True, but this topic relates to the US media bias, and therefore news in the US, so what AJ does internationally doesn't really count.

An aside: Interesting, I watch numerous news channels, read quite a bit of news, yet the only place I saw reported that Iran was given a UN appointment to the Commission on the Status of Women, which would give the nation influence over global women's rights, was on Fox News and Briebart. Perhaps I just missed it elsewhere. ;)

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Yep while they have their flaws,they're not actually that bad a news station. A low viewer base isn't any reflection upon quality tbh.

Agreed. They do some interesting documentary type features as well as more regular news channel type shows.

• Advertisement

Yeah they sure got into the thick of things... like being pro Muslim Brotherhood.

How do you know? In an earlier post you said you have never watched the channel.

Advertisement