Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

milking a cow for the house

Options
  • 07-04-2014 7:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone here do it?

My father used when we were growing up and it's something I wouldn't mind doing down the road.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

Better to get a dip out of a neighbours tank, maybe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

colrow wrote: »

Why?

Less work, and you'd get more milk than you could use from your own cow.

Thats just my personal view on it.

If you want a house cow, thats fine, but you have to get it in calf each year, and etc.....

If you want a house cow, thats fine, but you have to get it in calf each year, and etc.....

Agreed but if you get a simple enough milking machine it can be alot less arduous plus there is plenty of animals that you can feed excess milk to around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭flutered

back in the day there was a cow which was called a stripper, nothing to do with undressed females and garyating around steel or wooden poles, most if all members of the farming community had one or two, there were used to provide substance for the family, a cow or cows which could not be got in calf or sometimes deliberatly not got in in calf, forgive my ramblings as i am having trouble concentrating today

• Advertisement

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Agreed but if you get a simple enough milking machine it can be alot less arduous plus there is plenty of animals that you can feed excess milk to around.

an old bucket machine would do the job, it could be done, i guess they are scarce, which means expensive, but then a root around the yellow pages or yahoo search should yield results, get the cow used to once a day milking would be a vital ingrediant in your operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I wouldn't really like this idea for a number of reasons or neither would they. It would be more from a self sufficiency point of view l would be doing it, same as a person sowing their own garden or keeping a few hens.

It would defeat the purpose getting the milk off someone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

My sister thought about it but they got a goat instead.
    Handier kept and ample milk for the house.
    Hardly
    Use the lawnmower now either which is always a plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Aghoney

You also need to consider that to keep any cattle, even a single cow, you will need to have a herd number, which means you will be required to have a crush and proper fencing and shelter. On the other hand, a cow can bring a lot of fertility to the land. Make sure that you get a cow that is either used to being milked (ideally by hand) or that is tame enough that she can learn how to be milked.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

It would be a great idea not only would you have milk but you could easily make your own butter and buttermilk and feed a calf with the surplus milk and have beef. I would do likewise only my wife thinks that milk not bought in the shop is poison same with a home reared beef animal you'd swear the beef and milk in the shop grows on the shelf :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Sam Kade wrote: »
    It would be a great idea not only would you have milk but you could easily make your own butter and buttermilk and feed a calf with the surplus milk and have beef. I would do likewise only my wife thinks that milk not bought in the shop is poison same with a home reared beef animal you'd swear the beef and milk in the shop grows on the shelf :rolleyes:

Funny the difference.
    We started killing a few pigs for te freezer a few years ago. The taste is unbelievable. Mrs wants to kill a heifer now as she reckons the beef will be better too.

Might happen at some stage. Would need a bigger freezer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

Muckit wrote: »
    Anyone here do it?

My father used when we were growing up and it's something I wouldn't mind doing down the road.

You'll have to move from the Charolais or you won't have enough milk to colour your tea :D

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭marizpan

We milk one cow for the house using an old bucket milker.
    Very quiet cow and milking takes about 6 mins. She is giving about 14 litres a day.

marizpan wrote: »
    Very quiet cow and milking takes about 6 mins. She is giving about 14 litres a day.

Where is the cheapest place to get a bucket milker...new or old?

Mad prices on here http://www.milkingmachines.co.uk/uk2shop-13.htm

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Where is the cheapest place to get a bucket milker...new or old?

Mad prices on here http://www.milkingmachines.co.uk/uk2shop-13.htm

My father had two in the shed, from the seventies. There are loads of them around. My cousin has a few more in his shed.

These are our costs : €275

€45 new inflations, rubber tubing etc
    €230 service from dairy man, new regulator, overhaul pulsator
    Motor and vacuum- free to take away, we actually have two now. Again there are plenty around when dairy farmers upgrade.
    Bucket with inflations -free

We keep the bucket in the house and wash/clean it inside also. It's very easy and takes the work out of having a cow. I do the morning milking and hubby does the evening milking. Neighbours are happy to milk now that we have a machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭exercise is the antidote

bbam wrote: »
    Funny the difference.
    We started killing a few pigs for te freezer a few years ago. The taste is unbelievable. Mrs wants to kill a heifer now as she reckons the beef will be better too.

Might happen at some stage. Would need a bigger freezer :)
    Often see a few secondhand ice cream freezers in the stock(business) section on DD... Might be ideal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Muckit wrote: »
    Anyone here do it?

We did it too. But it was a hell of a job to milk twice a day. It would be grand if you hadn't to work off farm.

Wouldn't it be lovely to be able to make your own butter, buttermilk and yogurt.

You often see cheap single bucket milking machines for goats and cows on ebay.co.uk

one needs to remember that it has to be done each and every day, where ever you go you have to return and milk, regardless of the weather, the slap of a wet dirty tail across the side of the face goes with the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

:D The memories. I did it for years at home when I was a young fella. We had a lovely british friesian type, that we kept when we got rid of the other cows. It's a huge commitment for what you get out of it. All my neighbours kept one in the day, but none have one now.
    You'll need a 3-legged stool and some baling twine to tie the cows tail to her leg. You always milk from the cows right hand side too. I think it's bad luck to milk from the other side. The upside is you will have muscles like Popeye and real milk with cream floating on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 kerrycow

reilig wrote: »
    We did it too. But it was a hell of a job to milk twice a day. It would be grand if you hadn't to work off farm.

I milk 2 cows here morning and evening and still manage to get out to work off farm, though I am self-employed so I suppose that helps.

Lots of milk for the house, butter etc. and enough to rear additional calves and to soak barley for broilers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Caveat_

marizpan wrote: »

Wow, that is a lot. What do you do with it all?

Caveat_ wrote: »
    Wow, that is a lot. What do you do with it all?

We use about 4 litres a day full fat milk for the house for drinking. I make a lot of Greek yogurt and use the extra cream for pouring cream/butter etc.
    We soak the rest in rolled barley for the pigs and hens.
    It is easily used!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

It's mingin! :D

I nearly puked once at my aunt's house when she produced it. They used to take some from their dairy herd.

Pasteurised and homogenised, that's how I like my milk!

Unhelpful post lol, but are you sure you'd like the milk?

Once you've tasted real fresh cows milk, you wouldn't want the boiled taste of that watery shop shyte.

That is unless of course you've been brought up on supermarket ready meals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

It's the Low-Fat milk that really gets to me. You might aswell be pouring water into your tea.

It's the Low-Fat milk that really gets to me. You might aswell be pouring water into your tea.

Tell me about it...worked for many years in the States and the sorry excuse for milk they have is shocking.

I remember there was something they called 2%...was clearer than water half the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

If you're reared on fresh cows milk that's grand. Be prepared to not quite like the taste if it's something new to you (or your children). That's all I'm saying!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

flutered wrote: »
    back in the day there was a cow which was called a stripper, nothing to do with undressed females and garyating around steel or wooden poles, most if all members of the farming community had one or two, there were used to provide substance for the family, a cow or cows which could not be got in calf or sometimes deliberatly not got in in calf, forgive my ramblings as i am having trouble concentrating today
    Strippers are still to be got. As you quite rightly point out they are cows not in calf but the cow needs to calve to produce milk. As a long term plan would milking a stripper not be flawed.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Superdaddy

I have been considering getting a Dexter cow for this purpose. They are a great dual purpose breed. The trick i believe is getting one that is well handled. I was thinking of getting a cow in calf with a heifer calf at foot. Tame the heifer calf for milking if the cow didn't play ball. Get both in calf in the future and leave one for milking and the other to rear two calves. Calves can be kept for the freezer or sold on. Surplus milk goes to pigs and chickens.

• Advertisement

Strippers are still to be got. As you quite rightly point out they are cows not in calf but the cow needs to calve to produce milk. As a long term plan would milking a stripper not be flawed.

a stripper will keep milking for years, an older or a cast cow is best as she would not be looking for the services of a gentleman as often as a younger one, sometimes she may not come in heat at all.

Advertisement