Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your run today

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

tunguska wrote: »
    Up to the waterworks today for the first time in a good while. Man that place is heaven on earth when the weather is like this. 13 mile round trip from the gaff, and it was pretty warm early in the day so I dispensed with the jacket and leggings for the first time since..........I cant actually remember.
    Weather lately has been awesome so I knew it'd be criminal not to hit the waterworks to make the most of things. I like the park and all but with the narrow paths it can be a nightmare for dogs on those massively long extendible leads. I'm a dog person myself but dog owners can be dickheads or at the very least, completely lacking in awareness of anybody but themselves. I try to keep my cool and not get overly infuriated with their antics but sometimes you're just left scratching your head and wondering how some people manage to even leave the house wearing any pants, their awareness is that bad. Anyway, for some reason the waterworks is mostly dog(owner) free and today the only people I met were a few lads up fishing and one guy on a bike. Basically had the place to myself so no worries about tripping over leads or anything like that. Practically no wind and once you hit the top reservoir on the left hand side theres some nice trails. Glancing back the view over the lake was epic, water was dead still and the trees formed a mirror image that was so perfect it made me regret not taking my camera along. The quiet and sense of peace was something else aswell. This place is close enough to the city to be convenient and not cut off but far enough away to think you were in the middle of the country side.
    Felt like I didnt wanna leave but could feel myself getting pretty dehydrated so had to head back. Last 2 miles were a slog, completely dehydrated and feeling the heat. What a difference a few extra degrees makes........Got back to the house and water never tasted so good. Great run on a beautiful day, legs a bit rubbery due to the heat but was worth it after the crap weather we've had since before crimbo.

Beautifully written. We need to add a Running Literary Award to the list of AR Awards at the end of the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Ososlo wrote: »
    Beautifully written. We need to add a Running Literary Award to the list of AR Awards at the end of the year!

Thanks Ososlo although this happened this afternoon.........

http://www.thejournal.ie/bohernabreena-missing-1417072-Apr2014/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

After missing London Marathon on Sunday I headed out on Monday late afternoon to do a couple of loops of the local college grounds and test out the injury. On the first loop I spotted a couple of runners on the far side of the golf course and was wondering if I knew them. Knew I was closing on them and would see them on the latter part of the loop. As I left the grass and headed towards the wooded path I spotted the said couple just off the trail beat into each other :eek: Turned the head the other way and took a detour :rolleyes:

Eventually came around on the second loop and they had moved on but spotted said people chatting at their cars towards the end of my 2nd loop.

Didn't think too much more about it as I drove home but as I entered my estate the female was going into a house around the corner from mine. She spotted me and needless to say the look on her face was priceless :D

Oh and the leg was a lot better as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

There is only one park in Dublin

There is. St. Anne's Park. Anything else is just a bunch of cricket pitches interspersed with the odd tree here and there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

Ok.

Well I warmed up on a green opposite my house this morning. I used to play there as a kid and it kind of brings back memories. I give myself two laps of my estate. Then I head out for my run proper. I have a couple of different standard routes. Today I went down the whitechurch rd. Until I can for to tht tuning fork. This way is the easy way around a loop I do. To do it counterclockwise is more uphill so I was kind of doing it easy. I then continue up to buglers. That is my fav part of this run. I don't know why. I usually see a couple of other people out. I passed the house that used to have all those weird gnomes and is painted pink and green. It is much more normal looking now. I came up to the round about and I ran down Taylors lane. I ran up to near the golf club. Taylors lane is usually were you encounter bikes or cars etc not paying attention. I then went into St Endas Park and this is the most challenging part mentally. It's HILLY and I had been running for about 3 miles I did one lap of the park. I Tried to keep on grass and track. When I come to the sports fields I thought maybe I would try some strides. ....but eh I didn't. I did run back home from the park though. I usually walk at that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Lucky you - you're close to Brothers Pearse AC. I'll expect to see you at training on Tuesday ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭nolinejudge

Down along the seafront, Along the Piers in Dun Laoghaire which where surprisingly quiet.Around Sandycove, Hugged the sea front around Bullock then up and around Dalkey. Stunning views out towards bray. Down through Kiliney then back home. Not to hot slight breeze. If carlsberg did runs...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

An early start and a long drive down to the Sliabh Bloom Half Marathon. A well organised event. A community centre served well for registration and post-race refreshments and the start and finish line were adjacent. Everything very handy and the course measured pretty correctly.

A tough half over a mixture of tarmac route and forest fire-road. Lovely conditions for the most part except a nasty headwind on the closing 2 kilometres. A nice change from purely road running.

I was very isolated in the race. The leading couple of groups stretched out ahead early and were out of sight so I was left on my tod for 90% of it.

I must get down there some day and try get out on the Sliabh Blooms proper. Fire-road running through forestry is fine but you don't get to see much of the actual hills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Added a few extra fields to my usual cross country run, came upon a massive courtyard in the middle of nowhere, this place was the size of a football field that looked to be built in the 1800s, kept running past it and found a paved road that must have once led to this place.

Followed this road for a half mile or so and looped back onto my usual run which takes me over the hills down into a woods and back towards the village of Quin.

Managed to trip over a tree root in the woods and end up face first in the mud, was so wrecked at that stage after an hour in the fields that I just lay there and laughed and realised I am a lucky bugger to be out at 7am in such beautiful countryside.

Utterly, utterly spent when I got home. Perfect day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Parked in Kilmashogue with the intention of running to Curtlestown and back. Lots of women in the car park drinking tea and eating biscuits :). Headed off up the hill, passed a lot of walkers. Rain started, but not too bad. About a mole in, the heavens opened, kept going. Up the side of two rock, hail was coming in sideways so had to tilt my head to the side. Got to junction of WW and DMW, visibility was about 5 metres, I was soaked to the skin and freezing so turned back. What shoul have been a 16 mile run was barely more than 4. Straight back to sunny (not really) Irishtown for tea and sympathy, got neither :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Long run:
    Up early, sleep disrupted, little one decided she wanted to be no. 3 in the bed. 6 miles from house up to Tallaght and back, picked up a club mate, 2 and a bit to Marlay, 1 mile prior to the park run and then my second park run ever. What a fantastic event it really is. It should be top of the rave thread. 8.00, 6.50 or so, 6.20 ish and sub 6 for the last stretch- great way to finish a long run. 1 and a bit cool down. Good to be alive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

Heavy rain overnight & this morning in North Cork left the roads very wet so the Saturday Morning group run was cancelled...:(
    At a loose end and with a house full of noisy hyper-active kids I did the sensible thing and HTFU and went for a 2hr run in the pissing rain over a boggy mountain track to check out the 2nd summit on Mt. Hillary. I'm here 5 years and I had never gone to the giant metal cross on the top, so I did today.
    It was a really great run, forest fire-roads, single track through the trees and a final burst across open mountain and low gorse to the cairn on top. Bucketing down with rain but the view was still great - will go back on a clear day.
    Came down a different route so had to go back to the other summit a 2nd time, where I met a group of unhappy looking Girl-guides in all weather gear. I must have looked a sight covered in mud and bits of trees. On the way back down passed a few young lads on Quads robbing timber from the stacks - met a few of the neighbours out walking their dogs - made me feel alive and lucky that I get to enjoy the outdoors no matter what the weather. Still buzzing - but that could me the 8 Crème brûlée Truffle things I've just eaten :D

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Windorah

Had the alarm set for 4.30am this morning for a 6am start race!! Ugh!

Honestly I should have stayed in bed! EVENTUALLY I finished the 10k in 51mins:(

No idea what happened today. Iv been known to take off like Usain at the start line but I was slow the whole way through this race!!!

I think imma go drinking next weekend instead...:/

A picture is better than a thousand words.
    14036605211_150a3607be_b.jpgIMG_2582 by Mick Hanney, on Flickr

More here.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/mickhanney/sets/72157644375652624/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but it is a good thread nonetheless!
    Parked up at Greystones harbour early this morning with a plan to circuit bray head. Off I headed to get the road part done first. I prefer the trails so needed something to look forward to. So up the long slog of windgates road which I didn't realise has no path once you crest the hill going towards bray! Running on a busy road is not on my bucket list that's for sure.
    Got down to the sea front in bray smiling as I see the cliff run. The cliff run was my first ever race, just last April and now here I am again with a lot of running done. I was wondering what effect all the rain over the past days would have on the cliff walk and sure enough a trickle of what turned into a fast flowing stream and worse. I met one runner going the other way... 'Its pretty bad up there he says' I say thanks and push on. By now the water is streaming down the trail and I meet three more runners heading to bray... 'Pretty wet I say to one' and he goes 'it's gets worse'. Getting mentally ready to swim to Greystones I push on. Sure enough there are soon massive puddles, no way to stay dry and as it turns out I like running through puddles. Some of then 40 metres long with no dry path possible, I run on...
    Starting to think about trench foot, pizza and other stuff... Onto the last few k into Greystones where I meet all the walkers who've decided it's not a good idea to walk to bray today. I met a runner heading up with bright white runners and smile to myself. I get to Greystones and have a quick dip in the Ladies cove to sort out the legs. A run with a bit of everything.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

LSR in the Pheno where heffsarmy went chugging past me like a train, twice, while I struggled to run slowly!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Trouble in P

Trying to keep fit over Christmas as I take a break from the 3 sports I play, 2 have finished due to off season and 1 I take a break from always over November and December. Have done four separate 7mile runs this week, three of these with standard ankle weights on each ankle (each weight is 3 pounds I think, which doesn't sound like much but you really feel them running up hills). Anyway, I was getting changed in my room before I went for the run and was heading downstairs as I heard my phone ring. That phone call was a call offering me a job I had an interview months ago and had completely forgot about. That news made the run alot easier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Trying to keep fit over Christmas as I take a break from the 3 sports I play, 2 have finished due to off season and 1 I take a break from always over November and December. Have done four separate 7mile runs this week, three of these with standard ankle weights on each ankle (each weight is 3 pounds I think, which doesn't sound like much but you really feel them running up hills). Anyway, I was getting changed in my room before I went for the run and was heading downstairs as I heard my phone ring. That phone call was a call offering me a job I had an interview months ago and had completely forgot about. That news made the run alot easier
    Congratulations with the job!!!
    Why do you wear ankle weights do you mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Trouble in P

Thanks. One of the sports I play is boxing, so the ankle weights are useful for skipping and getting more speed into my footwork. They also make the run harder, which strangely enough I enjoy.. I'm also doing a charity run on Christmas day (the GOAL mile), where I ran a mile in 5.44 minutes last Christmas (2013), and I'm looking to break the 5.20 minute mark this year

Fun muck and puddle splashy 6k bhaa cross country race around Santry demesne this morning. 4 laps, each one getting heavier than the last. Extremely mild conditions otherwise. Great event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

So up the long slog of windgates road which I didn't realise has no path once you crest the hill going towards bray! Running on a busy road is not on my bucket list that's for sure.

Next time turn left at the bottom of the dip exiting Greystones, this brings you up past Belmont woods and onto the top of Windgates, so you avoid that stretch and if you need to tag on a bit head into Belmont, down past the wood factory, swing around to the lower Little Sugarloaf path, on past the paint ball section and eventually back down to the Southern Cross out via the Kilruddery House gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭inigo

Just back from a beautiful and relatively easy 10 miler around Glendalough this morning. Gorgeous day if a little chilly at the start. Bring on Run The Line!

Glorious run at the Stook 10 mile. A runnable hilly road race which will test runners. The timed flying mile 2 miles out from home was a nice feature. The weather today was glorious, perfect for running and brilliant for late November. The organisation and post race refreshments were great.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭inigo

inigo wrote: »
    Just back from a beautiful and relatively easy 10 miler around Glendalough this morning. Gorgeous day if a little chilly at the start. Bring on Run The Line!

Yesterday I wore my 0mm Merrells and not for the first time. I'm used to running on tarmac on 0mm drop NBs and Sauconys and on trails on 4mm Sauconys.

Today I feel like someone implanted a sliothar in each of my calves during the night! I've been trying to gather enough mental strength to go out for an easy 4 miler later this evening...

The Merrells have protection only at the front of the shoes and are totally unforgiving if you land anywhere but the balls of your feet. Mix that with a few slopes and you get the above result. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

6.2k today which was grand except I kept having to stop at the traffic lights, I had switched up my route.

Also, since I was trying for 6k, I had to run up and down this one street to hit the mark. I really hadn't planned out my route as well as I thought. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Todays run was the run the line short course. I only registered at the last minute but it was well worth it. I've clearly not done enough hills in my short running career but I did manage ok. I'd done Glendalough a few weeks back which gave me a taste of climbing, but I knew the climbs on run the line were more intense. I took a spill on the really fast downhill just before the water stop, I was going too fast given how technical it was. Luckily I only got grazes on my hands and knees and continued on. I'm not sure of my time but it was about 1:37. Fantastic race for a great cause. Definitely one for next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

In Avondale forest this evening, just me and the headlamp.
    Then I spotted something ahead...... Next thing I got blasted with a choo choo and absolutely blinded by a high beam light, well into the ditch I jumped.
    Bloody Santa forest train.......

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

In Avondale forest this evening, just me and the headlamp.
    Then I spotted something ahead...... Next thing I got blasted with a choo choo and absolutely blinded by a high beam light, well into the ditch I jumped.
    Bloody Santa forest train.......

I shouldn't laugh, but ..... :D

Advertisement