Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orwell League 2014

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Thanks very much to all the organisers and marshals, it was a really nice route last night. Unfortunately I had trouble clipping my cleat in for a minute at the start and despite chasing didn't have the legs to get on the back of the group so I did as solo ride, but it was a lovely evening for it and I'd some great company for the ride home from the Sally Gap. Already looking forward to that route again next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

There were a good few boardsies braving the soaking conditions tonight and there were some really fast times set despite the less than perfect conditions. Including a new club record! Well done Oscar/Vlad (or whoever you might be these days :) ).

My race went better than I had hoped for, despite the leg ripping last night in the Roche GP I managed to smash my PB by 39 seconds. I think the Evade helmet might have helped in that a good bit. It was only it's third race out and I'm starting to think that there might be something to the claims Specialized are making about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭buffalo

The winner set a savage pace, I'm in awe of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

buffalo wrote: »
    The winner set a savage pace, I'm in awe of the time.

Only 1 out of the top 5 have TT bike?

Any of the top 5 ride without clip-on aerobars?

Briando wrote: »
    Only 1 out of the top 5 have TT bike?

Any of the top 5 ride without clip-on aerobars?

I'm told the top placer had a TT bike, 3rd also, possibly 4th. 2nd only had clip-ons, and 5th too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Thanks very much to all the organisers and marshals, appreciate it must not have been much fun standing around in the rain most of the evening. There were some seriously impressive times, especially considering the conditions. I kind of lost my rhythm for the first few km of the return leg but was still happy with my time overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Massively impressed by the times in those conditions, especially considering the pace drop everyone had to make at the turn. Probably would have shaved another 5-10 seconds off those times if you'd been able to hammer around the roundabout.

I felt bad for the second guy last night. The first guy came onto the roundabout and one of the marshalls noticed that his entrance was less...uh...graceful than it should be. So I was making my way over to the roundabout entrance to start warning people about the slippy conditions but before I got there the next guy came flying through and came down hard as he tried to turn. Between tending to him, I missed the next two guys through (Dirk was one I think), who also had hairy moments on the roundabout. So it's a bit unfair that some people crashed out or nearly did because they happened to be the first riders through :)

Probably worth sticking a fifth man on that roundabout in wet conditions - 3 to stop traffic, one to stop people taking the wrong exit, and one to warn people as they enter the roundabout.

I'm told the top placer had a TT bike, 3rd also, possibly 4th. 2nd only had clip-ons, and 5th too.

1st full TT kit
    2nd clip-ons
    3rd full TT kit
    4th full TT kit
    5th clip-ons

Well done to the 2nd guy (whoever he might be)! :) Beating fully kitted out top riders with just clip-ons is some going.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I was on a TT bike alright.

There were loads of great performances, with the majority doing new personal bests for the 10. Really impressive in those conditions.

Around half a dozen early starters warned me about the roundabout and I ended up freewheeling right the way around it. I had my back wheel slide out in the first TT earlier this year on a drier night than that, so I reckoned it was going to be really treacherous last night given that it hadn't rained in weeks.

Nearly didn't make it to the start. Completely destroyed my rear tyre with a triple puncture on the way into work and had to mount a new tub at lunchtime.

Nearly didn't make it to the start. Completely destroyed my rear tyre with a triple puncture on the way into work and had to mount a new tub at lunchtime.

On an unrelated note, if I contracted someone to sabotage a rival, and they carried out said sabotage, but it wasn't successful in stopping said rival, should I still pay the saboteur?

Hypothetically speaking of course...

• Advertisement

On an unrelated note, if I contracted someone to sabotage a rival, and they carried out said sabotage, but it wasn't successful in stopping said rival, should I still pay the saboteur?

Hypothetically speaking of course...

I tried a different tactic tonight, releasing a swarm of wasps in the hope the pre-race favourite might be stung sufficiently badly, but alas...

My arse still hurts. Long night in the pain cave, as Carlton Kirby would say, several times, until I felt the need to bludgeon him. Broke the hour for the first time, and very pleased with my time.

Was trying to catch my minute man, but he was like a mirage. Think I had him pegged at about 50" at one point, and then I caught a youth rider who had been ahead. Was about 50-60" at the turnaround, and then I never saw him again - I kept trying to pick him out, but got confused by bushes and traffic signs.

Couldn't spot the chequered flag at the finish, could've knocked another 2" off my time, but not the 12" I needed to beat the next placer. Knocked nearly 8' off my PB, so that'll do. And I'll bloody sleep well tonight!

Did you get stung by a wasp in the arse? As if a 40k TT isn't painful enough. Fantastic time btw., all you need now is a full in TT bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

8 minutes off your personal best is ridiculous.

Random testing for the Orwell league I say

joker77 wrote: »
    8 minutes off your personal best is ridiculous.

In fairness, it's been two years since I attempted one. And my arse is still sore this morning.

I stopped right after the finish, and the sweat that had been being blown off my brow instantly poured into my eyes. Rubbed them with my likewise salty hands, increased the pain and seared the skin of my eye sockets, before remembering I had contacts in, and that they were now somewhere at the back of my eyeballs. After a few minutes cycling to try ease my arse cramps, while blinking rapidly and grunting/howling in pain, I found a bottle of pure water to splash on my face. The pain receded, and both contacts ejected themselves safely.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

That was so hard. My legs today feel like I've done a whole weekend of racing. I think the 25 is a different beast to the 10. It takes so much out of you to sustain that level of effort for the guts of an hour.

Turned into a great night for it though after looking like it was going to be a washout earlier in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That was just insane Oscar G.

As usual I finished that one feeling like I could have squeezed a little more out of it, though my arse and my legs last night disagree with me. I think my body is slightly fitter than my legs are, meaning the heart is willing but the flesh is weak. The result of a winter with very few spins, that'll have to be rectified this year.

Still though, my first TT this year and I shaved a tiny bit off my PB, so I'm happy with that. Also got too much into the zone. I saw a guy come out of a side road ahead of me, looked he was wearing Orwell gear so assumed it was my minuteman after stopping to take a pee or something. Used him for a chase, reach the roundabout, he goes straight through, and I nearly did too until the marshalls started shouting at me :D

Really stunned by the weather. I got soaked walking from work to my car, so I was expecting that to be a thoroughly miserable hour on the bike. It appeared on the drive out that the Dublin/Meath border somehow magically held back the rain, the roads were bone dry.

Great result Seamus. You took a fair old whack off your PB there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Congrats Oscar. Vlad would be proud of you.

Advertisement